The Effect of Rising Import Competition on Market Power: A Panel Data Study of U.S. Manufacturing
AbstractThe rapid rise in import competition in recent years provides an unusual test for examining the market structure-performance relationship with panel data. A weakness of the cross-sectional approach is that many important variables are difficult to measure. However, if these variables are determined by slowly evolving technological conditions and if there is time-series variation in an observable variable such as import shares, then the use of a within-industry estimator may control for some of the problems confronting cross-section studies. The authors' estimates indicate a sizable effect of import competition on price-cost margins for the time period 1976-86. Copyright 1994 by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Journal of Industrial Economics.
Volume (Year): 42 (1994)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-1821
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Oliver Holtemöller & Götz Zeddies, 2013.
"Has the Euro increased international price elasticities?,"
Springer, vol. 40(1), pages 197-214, February.
- Oliver Holtemöller & Götz Zeddies, 2010. "Has the Euro Increased International Price Elasticities?," IWH Discussion Papers 18, Halle Institute for Economic Research.
- Tomas Holub & Martin Cihak, 2003. "Price Convergence: What Can the Balassa-Samuelson Model Tell Us?," Working Papers 2003/08, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- William Testa & Thomas Klier & Alexei Zelenev, 2003. "Estimating U.S. metropolitan area export and import competition," Economic Perspectives, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue Q IV, pages 13-27.
- Holger Gæ””g & Frederic Warzynski, 2003.
"Price cost margins and exporting behaviour: Evidence from firm level data,"
LICOS Discussion Papers
13303, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Holger Görg & Frederic Warzynski, 2003. "Price Cost Margins and Exporting Behaviour: Evidence from Firm Level Data," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 365, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Caves, Richard & Baldwin, John R., 1997. "Concurrence internationale et performance industrielle : allocation optimale, production optimale et turbulence," Direction des etudes analytiques : documents de recherche 1997108f, Statistics Canada, Direction des etudes analytiques.
- John R. Baldwin & Richard E. Caves, 1997. "International Competition and Industrial Performance: Allocative Efficiency, and Turbulence," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1809, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Black, Sandra & Brainerd, Elizabeth, 2002.
"Importing Equality? The Impact of Globalization on Gender Discrimination,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3532, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sandra E. Black & Elizabeth Brainerd, 2004. "Importing equality? The impact of globalization on gender discrimination," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 57(4), pages 540-559, July.
- Sandra E. Black & Elizabeth Brainerd, 2002. "Importing Equality? The Impact of Globalization on Gender Discrimination," NBER Working Papers 9110, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Black, Sandra E. & Brainerd, Elizabeth, 2002. "Importing Equality? The Impact of Globalization on Gender Discrimination," IZA Discussion Papers 556, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Mitchell, Mark L. & Mulherin, J. Harold, 1996. "The impact of industry shocks on takeover and restructuring activity," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 193-229, June.
- Arzu Akkoyunlu-Wigley & Sevinc Mihci, 2006. "Effects of the customs union with the European Union on the market structure and pricing behaviour of the Turkish manufacturing industry," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(20), pages 2443-2452.
- Xu, Jin, 2012. "Profitability and capital structure: Evidence from import penetration," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 106(2), pages 427-446.
- Roberto Álvarez & Ricardo A. López, 2008.
"Trade Liberalization and Industry Dynamics: A Difference in Difference Approach,"
Working Papers Central Bank of Chile
470, Central Bank of Chile.
- Roberto Alvarez & Ricardo Lopez, 2008. "Trade Liberalization and Industry Dynamics: A Difference in Difference Approach," Caepr Working Papers 2008-009, Center for Applied Economics and Policy Research, Economics Department, Indiana University Bloomington.
- Zimmerman, Paul R. & Carlson, Julie A., 2010. "Critical import supply elasticities and the ‘imports-as-market-discipline’ hypothesis," MPRA Paper 27848, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Thompson, Aileen, 2000. "Import Competition and Market Power: Canadian Evidence," Analytical Studies Branch Research Paper Series 2000139e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
- Lundin, Nan Nan, 2004. "Import Competition, Product Differentiation and Mark-Ups - Microeconomic evidence from Swedish manufacturing in the 1990s," Working Paper Series 195, Trade Union Institute for Economic Research.
- Zimmerman, Paul R. & Carlson, Julie A., 2012. "Critical import supply elasticities and the ‘imports-as-market-discipline’ hypothesis," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 345-354.
- Elango, B. & Pattnaik, Chinmay, 2013. "Response strategies of local firms to import competition in emerging markets," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 66(12), pages 2460-2465.
- Esperanza Gracia, 1999. "Márgenes y cuotas de mercado. Un análisis con un micropanel," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 23(3), pages 393-428, September.
- Co, Catherine Y., 2001. "Trade, foreign direct investment and industry performance," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 19(1-2), pages 163-183, January.
- Caves, Richard & Baldwin, John R., 1997. "International Competition and Industrial Performance: Allocative Efficiency, Productive Efficiency, and Turbulence," Analytical Studies Branch Research Paper Series 1997108e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.