Student based funding in higher education systems with declining and uncertain enrolments: the Portuguese case
AbstractHigher education systems have generally been adapting to increasing demand, higher quality requirements and severe financial constraints. In Portugal, where public funding critically depends on the new enrolments, the short term uncertainties of declining applications exacerbate systemic long term underfunding certainties. Unfavourable demographics explain most, but not all, recent negative trends in demand for higher education. In such uncertain context strategic planning is difficult, and predicting new enrolments, and thus the volume of public funds, became a new and major challenge for universities. This paper proposes an empirical analysis of demand's main determinants, allowing a more precise picture of future enrolments and funding.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Evora, CEFAGE-UE (Portugal) in its series CEFAGE-UE Working Papers with number 2009_02.
Length: 17 pages
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
demand for higher education; determinants of university participation; financing higher education; enrolments forecasting.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I20 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - General
- I22 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Educational Finance; Financial Aid
- I28 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Government Policy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hertz Tom & Jayasundera Tamara & Piraino Patrizio & Selcuk Sibel & Smith Nicole & Verashchagina Alina, 2008.
"The Inheritance of Educational Inequality: International Comparisons and Fifty-Year Trends,"
The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter,
De Gruyter, vol. 7(2), pages 1-48, January.
- Tom Hertz & Tamara Jayasundera & Patrizio Piraino & Sibel Selcuk & Nicole Smith & Alina Verashchagina, 2007. "The Inheritance of Educational Inequality: International Comparisons and Fifty-Year Trends," Working Papers, American University, Department of Economics 2007-013, American University, Department of Economics.
- Lorenzo Cappellari & Claudio Lucifora, 2008.
"The "Bologna Process" and College Enrolment Decisions,"
DISCE - Quaderni dell'Istituto di Economia dell'Impresa e del Lavoro, UniversitÃ Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Dipartimenti e Istituti di Scienze Economiche (DISCE)
ieil0051, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Dipartimenti e Istituti di Scienze Economiche (DISCE).
- Cappellari, Lorenzo & Lucifora, Claudio, 2009. "The "Bologna Process" and college enrollment decisions," Labour Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 16(6), pages 638-647, December.
- Cappellari, Lorenzo & Lucifora, Claudio, 2008. "The "Bologna Process" and College Enrolment Decisions," IZA Discussion Papers 3444, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Jacob, Brian A., 2002. "Where the boys aren't: non-cognitive skills, returns to school and the gender gap in higher education," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 589-598, December.
- Louis Christofides & Michael Hoy & Ling Yang, 2009.
"The Gender Imbalance in Participation in Canadian Universities (1977-2005),"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2791, CESifo Group Munich.
- Louis N. Christofides & Michael Hoy & Ling Yang, 2008. "The Gender Imbalance in Participation in Canadian Universities (1977-2005)," University of Cyprus Working Papers in Economics, University of Cyprus Department of Economics 5-2008, University of Cyprus Department of Economics.
- Duchesne, I. & Nonneman, W., 1998. "The Demand for Higher Education in Belgium," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 211-218, April.
- Brian A. Jacob, 2002. "Where the boys aren't: Non-cognitive skills, returns to school and the gender gap in higher education," NBER Working Papers 8964, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Louis N. Christofides & Michael Hoy & Ling Yang, 2006. "The Determinants of University Participation," Working Papers, University of Guelph, Department of Economics and Finance 0608, University of Guelph, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Carla S� & Raymond J.G.M. Florax & Piet Rietveld, 2003. "Determinants of the Regional Demand for Higher Education," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers, Tinbergen Institute 03-013/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Winship C. Fuller & Charles F. Manski & David A. Wise, 1982. "New Evidence on the Economic Determinants of Postsecondary Schooling Choices," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 17(4), pages 477-498.
- Galper, Harvey & Dunn, Robert M, Jr, 1969. "A Short-Run Demand Function for Higher Education in the United States," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 77(5), pages 765-77, Sept./Oct.
- Erik Canton & Frank de Jong, 2002. "The demand for higher education in the Netherlands 1950-'99," CPB Discussion Paper, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis 12, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Hung-Lin Tao, 2006. "The Demand for Higher Education and a Test of the Extreme Screening Hypothesis," Education Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(1), pages 75-88.
- McPherson, Michael S & Schapiro, Morton Owen, 1991. "Does Student Aid Affect College Enrollment? New Evidence on a Persistent Controversy," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 81(1), pages 309-18, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angela Pacheco).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.