The demand for higher education in the Netherlands 1950-'99
AbstractThis paper investigates the role of economic factors in the university enrollment decision for the post-war period in the Netherlands. We include those factors standing at the heart of the idea that education is an investment. Collecting student enrollment data for eight subject categories results in a large data set, as a cross-section dimension is added to the time-series. The econometric results suggest that students are not responsive to tuition fees, but financial support (the sum of loans and grants), the college premium on future labour market earnings, and the alternative wage are important in the enrollment decision.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis in its series CPB Discussion Paper with number 12.
Date of creation: Aug 2002
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- D10 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - General
- I20 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Carlos Vieira & Isabel Vieira, 2009. "Student based funding in higher education systems with declining and uncertain enrolments: the Portuguese case," CEFAGE-UE Working Papers 2009_02, University of Evora, CEFAGE-UE (Portugal).
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:9:y:2007:i:7:p:1-14 is not listed on IDEAS
- Louis N. Christofides & Michael Hoy & Ling Yang, 2008.
"The Determinants of University Participation in Canada (1977-2003),"
University of Cyprus Working Papers in Economics
4-2008, University of Cyprus Department of Economics.
- Christofides, Louis N. & Hoy, Michael & Yang, Ling, 2008. "The Determinants of University Participation in Canada (1977−2003)," IZA Discussion Papers 3805, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Craig Gallet, 2007. "A comparative analysis of the demand for higher education: results from a meta-analysis of elasticities," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 9(7), pages 1-14.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.