Network effects of public transport infrastructure: evidence on Italian regions
AbstractThis paper contributes to the empirical literature on the magnitude of the network effects of public infrastructures, introducing a novel approach. After estimating the dynamics common to time series for the regional public capital stock, coordinated policy shocks are identified within a properly specified structural VEC model. The findings confirm previous evidence that transport infrastructures exert positive macroeconomic effects in the long run. At the same time, it is shown that this effect is attributable mostly to the impact of coordinated public policy shocks, as the literature on network externalities predicts.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area in its series Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) with number 869.
Date of creation: Jul 2012
Date of revision:
public capital; transport infrastructure; public policy coordination; network externalities; VEC model.;
Other versions of this item:
- Valter Di Giacinto & Giacinto Micucci & Pasqualino Montanaro, 2012. "Network effects of public transport infrastructure: Evidence on Italian regions," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 91(3), pages 515-541, 08.
- NEP-ALL-2012-07-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-GEO-2012-07-23 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-NET-2012-07-23 (Network Economics)
- NEP-TRE-2012-07-23 (Transport Economics)
- NEP-URE-2012-07-23 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Randall W. Eberts, 1990. "Cross-sectional analysis of public infrastructure and regional productivity growth," Working Paper 9004, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Aschauer, David Alan, 1989.
"Is public expenditure productive?,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 177-200, March.
- Lynde, Catherine & Richmond, James, 1992. "The Role of Public Capital in Production," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 74(1), pages 37-44, February.
- Alfredo Pereira & Jorge Andraz, 2004. "Public highway spending and state spillovers in the USA," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(12), pages 785-788.
- Jushan Bai & Serena Ng, 2001.
"A PANIC Attack on Unit Roots and Cointegration,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
519, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Alfredo M. Pereira, 2000. "Is All Public Capital Created Equal?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 82(3), pages 513-518, August.
- Romp, Ward & de Haan, Jakob, 2005.
"Public capital and economic growth: a critical survey,"
2/2005, European Investment Bank, Economics Department.
- Ward Romp & Jakob de Haan, 2007. "Public Capital and Economic Growth: A Critical Survey," Perspektiven der Wirtschaftspolitik, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 8(s1), pages 6-52, 04.
- Alfredo Marvao Pereira & Oriol Roca Sagalés, 2002.
"Spillover effects of public capital formation : evidence from the spanish regions,"
wpdea0210, Department of Applied Economics at Universitat Autonoma of Barcelona.
- Pereira, Alfredo Marvao & Roca-Sagales, Oriol, 2003. "Spillover effects of public capital formation: evidence from the Spanish regions," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 238-256, March.
- Jushan Bai & Serena Ng, 2002.
"Determining the Number of Factors in Approximate Factor Models,"
Econometric Society, vol. 70(1), pages 191-221, January.
- Tom Doan, . "BAING: RATS procedure to estimate factors in a factor model using Bai-Ng formulas," Statistical Software Components RTS00012, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Jushan Bai & Serena Ng, 2000. "Determining the Number of Factors in Approximate Factor Models," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 440, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Jushan Bai & Serena Ng, 2000. "Determining the Number of Factors in Approximate Factor Models," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1504, Econometric Society.
- Cadot, Olivier & Roller, Lars-Hendrik & Stephan, Andreas, 2006.
"Contribution to productivity or pork barrel? The two faces of infrastructure investment,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 90(6-7), pages 1133-1153, August.
- Olivier Cadot & Lars-Hendrik Röller & Andreas Stephan, 2002. "Contribution to Productivity or Pork Barrel? The Two Faces of Infrastructure Investment," CIG Working Papers FS IV 02-09, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Olivier Cadot & Lars-Hendrik Röller & Andreas Stephan, 2004. "Contribution to Productivity or Pork Barrel?: The Two Faces of Infrastructure Investment," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 458, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Haughwout, Andrew F., 2002.
"Public infrastructure investments, productivity and welfare in fixed geographic areas,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 83(3), pages 405-428, March.
- Andrew F. Haughwout, 2000. "Public infrastructure investments, productivity and welfare in fixed geographic areas," Staff Reports 104, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Garcia-Mila, Teresa & McGuire, Therese J & Porter, Robert H, 1996.
"The Effect of Public Capital in State-Level Production Functions Reconsidered,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 78(1), pages 177-80, February.
- Teresa Garcia-Milà & Therese J. McGuire & Robert H. Porter, 1993. "The effect of public capital in state-level production functions reconsidered," Economics Working Papers 36, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Jerome Creel & Gwenaëlle Poilon, 2006.
"Is public capital productive in Europe?,"
Documents de Travail de l'OFCE
2006-10, Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE).
- Costantini, Mauro & Destefanis, Sergio, 2009. "Cointegration analysis for cross-sectionally dependent panels: The case of regional production functions," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 320-327, March.
- Brian Sloboda & Vincent Yao, 2008. "Interstate spillovers of private capital and public spending," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 42(3), pages 505-518, September.
- Pesaran, H. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 1998.
"Generalized impulse response analysis in linear multivariate models,"
Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 17-29, January.
- Pesaran, M. H. & Shin, Y., 1997. "Generalised Impulse Response Analysis in Linear Multivariate Models," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9710, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Raffaello Bronzini & Paolo Piselli, 2006. "Determinants of long-run regional productivity: the role of R&D, human capital and public infrastructure," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 597, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Holtz-Eakin, Douglas, 1994. "Public-Sector Capital and the Productivity Puzzle," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 76(1), pages 12-21, February.
- Matilde Mas & Joaquin Maudos & Francisco Perez & Ezequiel Uriel, 1996.
"Infrastructures and Productivity in the Spanish Regions,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(7), pages 641-649.
- Ezequiel Uriel Jiménez & Francisco Pérez García & Matilde Mas Ivars & Joaquín Maudos Villarroya, 1995. "Infrastructures And Productivity In The Spanish Regions," Working Papers. Serie EC 1995-10, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Carlos Gil Canaleta & Pedro Pascual Arzoz & Manuel Rapun Gurate, 1998.
"Public Capital, Regional Productivity and Spatial Spillovers,"
Documentos de Trabajo - Lan Gaiak Departamento de EconomÃa - Universidad PÃºblica de Navarra
9811, Departamento de Economía - Universidad Pública de Navarra.
- Roberto Ezcurra & Carlos Gil & Pedro Pascual & Manuel Rapún, 2005. "Public capital, regional productivity and spatial spillovers," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 39(3), pages 471-494, 09.
- Ozbay, Kaan & Ozmen-Ertekin, Dilruba & Berechman, Joseph, 2007. "Contribution of transportation investments to county output," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 317-329, July.
- Lucio Picci, 1995.
"Lo Stock di capitale nelle Regioni Italiane,"
229, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Valter Di Giacinto & Giacinto Micucci & Pasqualino Montanaro, 2009.
"Dynamic macroeconomic effects of public capital: evidence from regional Italian data,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
733, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Valter Di Giacinto & Giacinto Micucci & Pasqualino Montanaro, 2010. "Dynamic Macroeconomic Effects of Public Capital: Evidence from Regional Italian Data," Giornale degli Economisti, GDE (Giornale degli Economisti e Annali di Economia), Bocconi University, vol. 69(1), pages 29-66, April.
- Baxter, Marianne & King, Robert G, 1993.
"Fiscal Policy in General Equilibrium,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 83(3), pages 315-34, June.
- Christophe Kamps, 2005.
"The Dynamic Effects of Public Capital: VAR Evidence for 22 OECD Countries,"
International Tax and Public Finance,
Springer, vol. 12(4), pages 533-558, August.
- Christophe Kamps, 2004. "The Dynamic Effects of Public Capital: VAR Evidence for 22 OECD Countries," Kiel Working Papers 1224, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Pedro Cantos & Mercedes Gumbau‐Albert & Joaqu�N Maudos, 2003. "Transport infrastructures, spillover effects and regional growth: evidence of the Spanish case," Transport Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 25(1), pages 25-50, December.
- Diego Martinez-Lopez, 2006. "Linking Public Investment to Private Investment. The Case of Spanish Regions," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(4), pages 411-423.
- Joseph Berechman & Dilruba Ozmen & Kaan Ozbay, 2006. "Empirical analysis of transportation investment and economic development at state, county and municipality levels," Transportation, Springer, vol. 33(6), pages 537-551, November.
- Cohen, Jeffrey P. & Morrison Paul, Catherine J., 2003. "Airport infrastructure spillovers in a network system," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(3), pages 459-473, November.
- Nordhaus, William D, 1975. "The Political Business Cycle," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(2), pages 169-90, April.
- Aschauer, David Alan, 1989.
"Does public capital crowd out private capital?,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 171-188, September.
- Douglas R. Dalenberg & Mark D. Partridge & Dan S. Rickman, 1998. "Public Infrastructure: Pork or Jobs Creator?," Public Finance Review, , vol. 26(1), pages 24-52, January.
- Miriam A. Golden & Lucio Picci, 2005. "Proposal For A New Measure Of Corruption, Illustrated With Italian Data," Economics and Politics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17, pages 37-75, 03.
- Antonio Alvarez & Carlos Arias & Luis Orea, 2006. "Econometric testing of spatial productivity spillovers from public capital," Hacienda Pública Española, IEF, vol. 178(3), pages 9-21, September.
- Mitze, Timo & Stephan, Andreas, 2013. "Simultaneous-equations Analysis in Regional Science and Economic Geography," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 309, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.