Transport infrastructures, spillover effects and regional growth: evidence of the Spanish case
AbstractThe impact of transport infrastructures on the economic growth of both regions and sectors, distinguishing among modes of transport, is analysed. An attempt is also made to capture the spillover effects associated with transport infrastructures. Two different methodologies are used: the first adopts an accounting approach based on a regression on indices of total factor productivity; the second uses econometric estimates of the production function. Very similar elasticities are obtained with both methodologies for the private sector of the economy, both for the aggregate capital stock of transport infrastructures and for the various types of infrastructure. However, the disaggregated results for sectors of production are not conclusive. The results confirm the existence of very substantial spillover effects associated with transport infrastructures.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Transport Reviews.
Volume (Year): 25 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/TTRV20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kyoung-Youn Na & Chirok Han & Chang-Ho Yoon, 2013. "Network effect of transportation infrastructure: a dynamic panel evidence," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 50(1), pages 265-274, February.
- Bernard Fingleton & Miguel GÃ³mez-Antonio, 2009.
"Analysing the impact of public capital stock using the NEG wage equation: a panel data approach,"
0912, University of Strathclyde Business School, Department of Economics.
- Bernard Fingleton & Miguel Gómez-Antonio, 2009. "Analysing the impact of public capital stock using the NEG wage equation: a panel data approach," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 33241, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Gómez-Antonioa, Miguel & Fingleton, Bernard, 2009. "Analysing the impact of public capital stock using the NEG wage equation: a panel data approach," SIRE Discussion Papers 2009-29, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Bernard Fingleton & Miguel Gómez-Antonio, 2009. "Analysing the Impact of Public Capital Stock Using the NEG Wage Equation: A Panel Data Approach," SERC Discussion Papers 0024, Spatial Economics Research Centre, LSE.
- Miguel Márquez & Julián Ramajo & Geoffrey Hewings, 2010. "Measuring the spillover effects of public capital: a bi-regional structural vector autoregressive analysis," Letters in Spatial and Resource Sciences, Springer, vol. 3(3), pages 111-125, October.
- Esteban Fernandez-Vazquez, 2011. "Estimating spatial weighting matrices in cross-regressive models by entropy techniques," ERSA conference papers ersa10p503, European Regional Science Association.
- Jorge Martinez-Vazquez & Andrey Timofeev, 2012. "Propensity to Invest and the Additionality of Capital Transfers: A Country Panel Perspective," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper1216, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Teresa Garcia-Milà & José G. Montalvo, 2013. "A New Approach to Measure the Impact of Highways on Business Location with and Application to Spain," Working Papers 754, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Valter Di Giacinto & Giacinto Micucci & Pasqualino Montanaro, 2012.
"Network effects of public transport infrastructure: evidence on Italian regions,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
869, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Valter Di Giacinto & Giacinto Micucci & Pasqualino Montanaro, 2012. "Network effects of public transport infrastructure: Evidence on Italian regions," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 91(3), pages 515-541, 08.
- Valter Di Giacinto & Giacinto Micucci & Pasqualino Montanaro, 2012. "The Macroeconomic Impact of Infrastructures: A Literature Review and Empirical Analysis on the Case of Italy," QA - Rivista dell'Associazione Rossi-Doria, Associazione Rossi Doria, issue 1, March.
- Fernández Vázquez, Esteban, 2011. "Updating weighting matrices by Cross-Entropy," Investigaciones Regionales, Asociación Española de Ciencia Regional, issue 21, pages 53-69.
- Teresa Garcia-Milà & José Garcia Montalvo, 2013. "A new approach to measure the impact of highways on business location with an application to Spain," Economics Working Papers 1412, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Zhenhua Chen, 2013. "Spatial Impact of Transportation Infrastructure: A Spatial Econometric CGE Approach," ERSA conference papers ersa13p241, European Regional Science Association.
- Márquez, Miguel A. & Ramajo, Julián & Hewings, Geoffrey J. D., 2011. "Public Capital and Regional Economic Growth: a SVAR Approach for the Spanish Regions," Investigaciones Regionales, Asociación Española de Ciencia Regional, issue 21, pages 199-223.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.