Consumer Willingness to Pay for Locally Grown Products: The Case of South Carolina
AbstractThe objective of this study is to evaluate South Carolina (SC) consumers’ willingness to pay for “SC grown” products. Results indicate that consumers in SC are willing to pay an average premium of 27% for local produce and 23% for local animal products. Premiums for local products are influenced by age, gender, and income.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Southern Agricultural Economics Association in its series 2008 Annual Meeting, February 2-6, 2008, Dallas, Texas with number 6815.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Contingent valuation; demand for local products; state branding and promotion programs; Demand and Price Analysis; Food Consumption/Nutrition/Food Safety;
Other versions of this item:
- Carlos E. Carpio & Olga Isengildina-Massa, 2009. "Consumer willingness to pay for locally grown products: the case of South Carolina," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(3), pages 412-426.
- D12 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Empirical Analysis
- Q13 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Markets and Marketing; Cooperatives; Agribusiness
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-12-14 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:jaa:jagape:v:34:y:2002:i:3:p:477-487 is not listed on IDEAS
- Louviere,Jordan J. & Hensher,David A. & Swait,Joffre D. With contributions by-Name:Adamowicz,Wiktor, 2000. "Stated Choice Methods," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521788304, December.
- Jayson L. Lusk & Darren Hudson, 2004. "Willingness-to-Pay Estimates and Their Relevance to Agribusiness Decision Making," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 26(2), pages 152-169.
- Riccardo Scarpa & George Philippidis & Fiorenza Spalatro, 2005. "Product-country images and preference heterogeneity for Mediterranean food products: A discrete choice framework," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(3), pages 329-349.
- Jekanowski, Mark D. & Williams, Daniel R., II & Schiek, William A., 2000. "Consumers' Willingness To Purchase Locally Produced Agricultural Products: An Analysis Of An Indiana Survey," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 29(1), April.
- Lusk, Jayson L., 2002.
"Effects Of Cheap Talk On Consumer Willingness-To-Pay For Golden Rice,"
2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA
19597, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Jayson L. Lusk, 2003. "Effects of Cheap Talk on Consumer Willingness-to-Pay for Golden Rice," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(4), pages 840-856.
- Loureiro, Maria L. & Hine, Susan E., 2002. "Discovering Niche Markets: A Comparison Of Consumer Willingness To Pay For Local (Colorado Grown), Organic, And Gmo-Free Products," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 34(03), December.
- Paul M. Patterson & Hans Olofsson & Timothy J. Richards & Sharon Sass, 1999. "An empirical analysis of state agricultural product promotions: A case study on Arizona Grown," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(2), pages 179-196.
- Kim Darby & Marvin T. Batte & Stan Ernst & Brian Roe, 2008. "Decomposing Local: A Conjoint Analysis of Locally Produced Foods," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 90(2), pages 476-486.
- Hughes, David W. & Brown, Cheryl & Miller, Stacy & McConnell, Tom, 2008. "Evaluating the Economic Impact of Farmersâ€™ Markets Using an Opportunity Cost Framework," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 40(01), April.
- Nayga, Rodolfo M., Jr., 1995. "Determinants Of U.S. Household Expenditures On Fruit And Vegetables: A Note And Update," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 27(02), December.
- Giraud, Kelly L. & Bond, Craig A. & Bond, Jennifer Keeling, 2005. "Consumer Preferences for Locally Made Specialty Food Products Across Northern New England," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 34(2), October.
- Li, Minghao & Wang, Qingbin & Kolodinsky, Jane M., 2012. "Estimating the Optimal Premium Rates for Credential Food Attributes: A Case Study in the Northeast United States," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 43(2), July.
- Susan Geertshuis & Otto Krickl, 2013. "Value Judgements and Continuing Education," International Journal of Management, Knowledge and Learning, International School for Social and Business Studies, Celje, Slovenia, vol. 2(1), pages 123-141.
- Zapata, Samuel D. & Carpio, Carlos E., 2012. "The Theoretical Structure of Producer Willingness to Pay Estimates," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 123434, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Grebitus, Carola & Lusk, Jayson L. & Nayga, Rodolfo M., 2013. "Effect of distance of transportation on willingness to pay for food," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(C), pages 67-75.
- Martinez, Steve & Hand, Michael & Da Pra, Michelle & Pollack, Susan & Ralston, Katherine & Smith, Travis & Vogel, Stephen & Clarke, Shellye & Lohr, Luanne & Low, Sarah & Newman, Constance, 2010.
"Local food systems: concepts, impacts, and issues,"
24313, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Martinez, Stephen W. & Hand, Michael S. & Da Pra, Michelle & Pollack, Susan L. & Ralston, Katherine L. & Smith, Travis A. & Vogel, Stephen J. & Clark, Shellye & Lohr, Luanne & Low, Sarah A. & Newman, , 2010. "Local Food Systems: Concepts, Impacts, and Issues," Economic Research Report 96635, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Pascucci, Stefano & Cicatiello, Clara & Franco, Silvio & Pancino, Barbara & Davide, Marino, 2011. "Back to the Future? Understanding Change in Food Habits of Farmers' Market Customers," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 14(4).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.