An empirical analysis of state agricultural product promotions: A case study on Arizona Grown
AbstractState commodity promotions, which promote food and agricultural products produced within a state's borders, are becoming widespread. Even though they are funded through tax revenues, there is little analysis on their effects. This study evaluates consumer awareness of Arizona's program and their preferences for Arizona products. Also, the effects of the program on product sales are analyzed. It was found that consumers were largely unaware of Arizona's program. However, most indicated that they would prefer Arizona products over others. The promotion was found to have little to no effect on product sales and only a modest direct effect on consumer preferences. [EconLit cites: Q180, M300, H170] © 1999 John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Agribusiness.
Volume (Year): 15 (1999)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John M. Halloran & Michael V. Martin, 1989. "Should states be in the agricultural promotion business?," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 5(1), pages 65-75.
- Nicholas J. Powers, 1989. "A study of demand response to grocery advertising of fresh California-Arizona navel oranges," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 5(5), pages 423-435.
- Lee, Lung-Fei, 1981. "Fully recursive probability models and multivariate log-linear probability models for the analysis of qualitative data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 51-69, May.
- Kinnucan, Henry W. & Venkateswaran, Meenakshi, 1990. "Effects Of Generic Advertising On Perceptions And Behavior: The Case Of Catfish," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 22(02), December.
- Collart, Alba J. & Palma, Marco A. & Carpio, Carlos E., 2013. "Consumer Response to Point of Purchase Advertising for Local Brands," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 45(02), May.
- Knight, Andrew J., 2013. "Evaluating local food programs: The case of Select Nova Scotia," Evaluation and Program Planning, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 29-39.
- Patterson, Paul M. & Martinez, Samuel Cardona, 2004. "State and Origin Branding in Hispanic Food Markets," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 35(03), November.
- Jekanowski, Mark D. & Williams, Daniel R., II & Schiek, William A., 2000. "Consumers' Willingness To Purchase Locally Produced Agricultural Products: An Analysis Of An Indiana Survey," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 29(1), April.
- Henseleit, Meike & Kubitzki, Sabine & Teuber, Ramona, 2007. "Determinants of Consumer Preferences for Regional Food," 105th Seminar, March 8-10, 2007, Bologna, Italy 7871, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Evans, Jason R. & D'Souza, Gerard E. & Collins, Alan R. & Brown, Cheryl & Sperow, Mark, 2011.
"Determining Consumer Perceptions of and Willingness to Pay for Appalachian Grass-Fed Beef: An Experimental Economics Approach,"
Agricultural and Resource Economics Review,
Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 40(2), August.
- Evans, Jason R. & Brown, Cheryl & Collins, Alan R. & D'Souza, Gerard E. & Rayburn, Edward B. & Sperow, Mark, 2008. "Determining Consumer Perceptions of and Willingness to Pay or Appalachian Grass-fed Beef: An Experimental Economics Approach," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6209, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Carlos E. Carpio & Olga Isengildina-Massa, 2009.
"Consumer willingness to pay for locally grown products: the case of South Carolina,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(3), pages 412-426.
- Carpio, Carlos E. & Isengildina-Massa, Olga, 2008. "Consumer Willingness to Pay for Locally Grown Products: The Case of South Carolina," 2008 Annual Meeting, February 2-6, 2008, Dallas, Texas 6815, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- McCluskey, Jill J. & Loureiro, Maria L., 2003. "Consumer Preferences And Willingness To Pay For Food Labeling: A Discussion Of Empirical Studies," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 34(03), November.
- Govindasamy, Ramu & Puduri, Venkata & Kelley, Kathleen M. & Simon, James E., 2012. "Increased Purchases of Locally Grown Ethnic Greens and Herbs due to Concerns about Food Miles," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 43(3), November.
- Loureiro, Maria L. & Hine, Susan E., 2001. "Discovering Niche Markets: A Comparison Of Consumer Willingness To Pay For A Local (Colorado Grown), Organic, And Gmo-Free Product," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20630, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Taylor, Roy Justin & Sterns, James A., 2005. "A Practical Guide to Market Assessment," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19302, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Martinez, Samuel Cardona & Patterson, Paul M., 2004. "Evaluating The Potential For Local Food Products In Hispanic Markets," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20372, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.