Relationship of Development and Fiscal Indicators with Agricultural Producer Support in the OECD Economies
AbstractThe paper seeks to quantify the effects of macro development and fiscal indicators on the agricultural producer support in the OECD countries during the period 1986-2009. The study is complementary to the body of microeconomic research that highlights the importance of support to agriculture industry. Data were obtained from the OECD’s Producer and Consumer Support Estimates database and the World Bank’s Word Development Indicators 2010 database. Producer Support Estimate (expressed in absolute value, in percent of total farm receipts - %PSE and per 1 ha of agricultural land) was taken as the dependent variable, whereas selected indicators describing performance of the economies were the independent variables. Simple linear regression analysis was conducted and resulted in many significant associations. In the period analyzed, there was a wide gap between the most and least supporting countries in terms of average %PSE and PSE per ha as well as substantial differences in degree of their inter-temporal variation occurred. Regression findings reveal, among others, that when countries were becoming richer, the %PSE was generally decreasing. Conflicting results were obtained for relationship between the %PSE and unemployment as in some countries it was negative, while in the others positive. Expansionary fiscal policy exerted opposite effects on the PSE in different countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Association of Agricultural Economists in its series 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland with number 116009.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
producer support estimate; high-income countries; macroeconomics; public finance; Agricultural and Food Policy;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jonsson, Thomas, 2007. "Collective Action and Common Agricultural Policy Lobbying: Evidence of Euro-Group Influence, 1986-2003," UmeÃ¥ Economic Studies 713, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
- J. Brian Hardaker & James W. Richardson & Gudbrand Lien & Keith D. Schumann, 2004.
"Stochastic efficiency analysis with risk aversion bounds: a simplified approach,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 48(2), pages 253-270, 06.
- Hardaker, J. Brian & Richardson, James W. & Lien, Gudbrand D. & Schumann, Keith D., 2004. "Stochastic efficiency analysis with risk aversion bounds: a simplified approach," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 48(2), June.
- Ashok Mishra & Barry Goodwin, 1998. "Income risk and allocation of labour time: an empirical investigation," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(12), pages 1549-1555.
- Elsholz, Rudiger & Harsche, Johannes, 2008. "Common Agricultural Policy Impacts on Farm Revenues," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 44409, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Thomas Prusa & Michael Knetter, 2000.
"Macroeconomic Factors and Antidumping Filings: Evidence from Four Countries,"
Departmental Working Papers
200023, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Knetter, Michael M. & Prusa, Thomas J., 2003. "Macroeconomic factors and antidumping filings: evidence from four countries," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 1-17, October.
- Michael M. Knetter & Thomas J. Prusa, 2000. "Macroeconomic Factors and Antidumping Filings: Evidence from Four Countries," NBER Working Papers 8010, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- William M. Liefert, 2011.
"Decomposing Changes in Agricultural Producer Prices,"
Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 62(1), pages 119-136, 02.
- Liefert, William M., 2006. "Decomposing Changes in Agricultural Producer Prices," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25331, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Inomata, Norio, 1986. "Price Supports And Exchange Rate Adjustments; Implications For Japanese Wheat And Beef Markets, 1960-83," Graduate Research Masters Degree Plan B Papers 11205, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Sven Anders & Johannes Harsche & Roland Herrmann & Klaus Salhofer & Ramona Teuber, 2007. "The Interregional and Intertemporal Allocation of EU Producer Support: Magnitude and Determinants," Jahrbuch für Regionalwissenschaft, Springer, vol. 27(2), pages 171-193, August.
- De Gorter, Harry & Swinnen, Johan, 2002. "Political economy of agricultural policy," Handbook of Agricultural Economics, in: B. L. Gardner & G. C. Rausser (ed.), Handbook of Agricultural Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 36, pages 1893-1943 Elsevier.
- Swinnen, Johan F. M. & Banerjee, Anurag N. & Gorter, Harry de, 2001. "Economic development, institutional change, and the political economy of agricultural protection: An econometric study of Belgium since the 19th century," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 26(1), pages 25-43, October.
- Dutt, Pushan & Mitra, Devashish, 2009. "Explaining Agricultural Distortion Patterns : The Roles of Ideology, Inequality, Lobbying and Public Finance," Agricultural Distortions Working Paper 50299, World Bank.
- Timothy Josling & Alberto Valdés, 2004. "Agricultural Policy Indicators," Working Papers 04-04, Agricultural and Development Economics Division of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO - ESA).
- Teresa Serra & Barry K. Goodwin & Allen M. Featherstone, 2005. "Agricultural Policy Reform and Off-farm Labour Decisions," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(2), pages 271-285.
- Sven Anders & Johannes Harsche & Roland Herrmann & Klaus Salhofer, 2004. "Regional Income Effects of Producer Support under the CAP," Discussion Papers 012004, Technische Universität München, Environmental Economics and Agricultural Policy Group.
- Swinnen, Johan F.M., 2009. "Political Economy of Agricultural Distortions: The Literature to Date," Agricultural Distortions Working Paper 50308, World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.