Common Agricultural Policy Impacts on Farm Revenues
AbstractThe aim of this paper is twofold. Firstly, we investigate the regional distribution of support of EU’s Common Agricultural Policy (CAP). Also, we employ structural data of the regions to calculate average farm revenues and to show how support and revenues have developed over time. We analyse the stabilisation effect generated by these transfers. This is investigated for the market price support, the first pillar payments and one agri-environmental program. Secondly, several parameters affecting level of support, development of support and instability of support are analysed, such as natural conditions for farming and regional economic structure. New contributions to the literature are the use of community data and the inclusion of a second-pillar program. The results show that there is an overall stabilisation effect of the EU’s CAP but this effect is not equal for all regions. Furthermore, our findings indicate that favourable natural conditions increase the level of support per farm.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Association of Agricultural Economists in its series 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium with number 44409.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Common Agricultural Policy; regional support; rural development; Agricultural and Food Policy; Agricultural Finance;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-11-25 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Allanson, Paul, 2005.
"Classical Horizontal Inequities in the Provision of Agricultural Income Support,"
2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark
24769, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Paul Allanson, 2007. "Classical Horizontal Inequities in the Provision of Agricultural Income Support," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 29(4), pages 656-671.
- Paul Allanson, 2005. "Classical Horizontal Inequities in the Provision of Agricultural Income Support," Dundee Discussion Papers in Economics 177, Economic Studies, University of Dundee.
- Sven Anders & Johannes Harsche & Roland Herrmann & Klaus Salhofer, 2004. "Regional Income Effects of Producer Support under the CAP," Discussion Papers 012004, Technische Universität München, Environmental Economics and Agricultural Policy Group.
- Paul Allanson, 2006. "The Redistributive Effects of Agricultural Policy on Scottish Farm Incomes," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(1), pages 117-128, 03.
- Cuddy, John D A & Della Valle, P A, 1978. "Measuring the Instability of Time Series Data," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 40(1), pages 79-85, February.
- Siudek, Tomasz & Zawojska, Aldona, 2011. "Relationship of Development and Fiscal Indicators with Agricultural Producer Support in the OECD Economies," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 116009, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Elsholz, Rudiger & Harsche, Johannes, 2011. "Price Changes, Policy Impacts and Instability in Farmers’ Revenues," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114342, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.