Exploring the Distribution of Direct Payments of the Common Agricultural Policy
AbstractDirect payments are the most important expenditure of the Common Agricultural Policy. They are mostly in the form of decoupled direct payments which are intended to be allocatively neutral. Increasing volumes of such transfers imply that distributive aspects of CAP expenditures become more important. This paper looks at this issue by calculating various measures of concentration based on statistics on recipients of direct payments covering the period of 2000 to 2006. The findings are evaluated in the context of the objectives of the CAP and the review of the financial framework, due to be discussed in late 2008.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by WIFO in its series WIFO Working Papers with number 330.
Length: 27 pages
Date of creation: 02 Sep 2008
Date of revision:
common agricultural policy; distribution of transfers; single farm payments; direct payments;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-01-03 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Olson, Mancur, Jr, 1969. "The Principle of "Fiscal Equivalence": The Division of Responsibilities among Different Levels of Government," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(2), pages 479-87, May.
- Paul Allanson, 2005.
"Classical Horizontal Inequities in the Provision of Agricultural Income Support,"
Dundee Discussion Papers in Economics
177, Economic Studies, University of Dundee.
- Paul Allanson, 2007. "Classical Horizontal Inequities in the Provision of Agricultural Income Support," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 29(4), pages 656-671.
- Allanson, Paul, 2005. "Classical Horizontal Inequities in the Provision of Agricultural Income Support," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24769, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Rasche, R H, et al, 1980. "Functional Forms for Estimating the Lorenz Curve: Comment," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 1061-62, May.
- Paul Allanson, 2006. "The Redistributive Effects of Agricultural Policy on Scottish Farm Incomes," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(1), pages 117-128, 03.
- Mary Keeney, 2000. "The Distributional Impact of Direct Payments on Irish Farm Incomes," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(2), pages 252-265.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ilse Schulz).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.