On the Characterisation and Measurement of the Redistributive Effect of Agricultural Policy
AbstractThe article proposes a coherent framework for the evaluation of the redistributive performance of agricultural policy. An illustrative study shows that the vertical stance of policy in Scotland was progressive in absolute terms, reflecting the chronic dependence of Scottish agriculture on policy transfers. Nevertheless, the overall redistributive effect of policy was to increase absolute inequality in farm incomes because of horizontal inequities in the incidence of transfers, though neither systematic discrimination between farm types nor systematic reranking was the main cause. The targeting of policy transfers could be improved by the use of indicator variables more strongly correlated with pre-transfer incomes. Copyright 2007 The Author. Journal compilation 2007 The Agricultural Economics Society.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 59 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (02)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0021-857X
Other versions of this item:
- Paul Allanson, 2006. "On the characterisation and measurement of the redistributive effects of agricultural policy," Dundee Discussion Papers in Economics 188, Economic Studies, University of Dundee.
- D63 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Equity, Justice, Inequality, and Other Normative Criteria and Measurement
- I38 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - Government Programs; Provision and Effects of Welfare Programs
- Q18 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Policy; Food Policy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul Allanson, 2005.
"Classical Horizontal Inequities in the Provision of Agricultural Income Support,"
Dundee Discussion Papers in Economics
177, Economic Studies, University of Dundee.
- Paul Allanson, 2007. "Classical Horizontal Inequities in the Provision of Agricultural Income Support," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 29(4), pages 656-671.
- Allanson, Paul, 2005. "Classical Horizontal Inequities in the Provision of Agricultural Income Support," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24769, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Paul Allanson, 2006. "The Redistributive Effects of Agricultural Policy on Scottish Farm Incomes," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(1), pages 117-128, 03.
- Lerman, Robert I. & Yitzhaki, Shlomo, 1989. "Improving the accuracy of estimates of Gini coefficients," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 43-47, September.
- Allanson, Paul, 2005.
"The Impact of Farm Income Support on Absolute Inequality,"
94th Seminar, April 9-10, 2005, Ashford, UK
24432, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Paul Allanson, 2005. "The Impact of Farm Income Support on Absolute Inequality," Dundee Discussion Papers in Economics 178, Economic Studies, University of Dundee.
- Juan Gabriel Rodríguez & Rafael Salas & Irene Perrote, 2004.
"Partial Horizontal Inequity Orderings: A non-parametric Approach,"
Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces
E2004/01, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Juan Gabriel Rodríguez & Rafael Salas & Irene Perrote, 2005. "Partial Horizontal Inequity Orderings: A Non-parametric Approach," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 67(3), pages 347-368, 06.
- Sen, Amartya, 1973. "On Economic Inequality," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198281931.
- Franz Sinabell & Erwin Schmid & Markus F. Hofreither, 2008.
"Exploring the Distribution of Direct Payments of the Common Agricultural Policy,"
WIFO Working Papers
- Franz Sinabell & Erwin Schmid & Markus Hofreither, 2013. "Exploring the distribution of direct payments of the Common Agricultural Policy," Empirica, Springer, vol. 40(2), pages 325-341, May.
- Paul Allanson & Benedetto Rocchi, 2008. "A comparative analysis of the redistributive effects of agricultural policy in Tuscany and Scotland," Review of Agricultural and Environmental Studies - Revue d'Etudes en Agriculture et Environnement, INRA Department of Economics, vol. 86(1), pages 35-56.
- Severini, Simone & Tantari, A., 2012. "How direct payments and their reform have affected farm income inequality in Italy?," Congress Papers 124099, Italian Association of Agricultural and Applied Economics (AIEAA).
- Hansen, Heiko & Herrmann, Roland, 2012. "The two dimensions of policy impacts on economic cohesion: Concept and illustration for the CAP," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 483-491.
- A. Palestini & G. Pignataro, 2013. "A multi-factor inequality approach to a transfer scheme: the case of Common Agricultural Policy," Working Papers wp891, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Elek, Sandor & Ferto, Imre & Forgacs, Csaba, 2008. "Who recieve rural development measures in Hungary?," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 44255, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Paul Allanson & Benedetto Rocchi, 2006. "An analysis of the redistributive effects of agricultural policy in Tuscany with comparative results for Scotland," Dundee Discussion Papers in Economics 193, Economic Studies, University of Dundee.
- Severini, Simone & Tantari, Antonella, 2013. "The effect of the EU farm payments policy and its recent reform on farm income inequality," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 212-227.
- Deppermann, Andre & Grethe, Harald & Offermann, Frank, 2011. "Distributional Effects of the CAP on Western German Farm Incomes and Regional Farm Income Disparity," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114442, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.