Income risk and allocation of labour time: an empirical investigation
AbstractThis study investigates the behaviour of risk averse farm operators in response to farm income and employment variability. Economic theory maintains that greater farm income variability should increase off-farm labour supply. On the other hand greater off-farm employment variability should decrease off-farm labour supply. This effect is confirmed for a sample of farm operators in North Carolina and Kansas using fixed and random effects models. Off-farm employment of farm operators is also found to be significantly influenced by age, efficiency, asset value, and off-farm wage rate.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 30 (1998)
Issue (Month): 12 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Siudek, Tomasz & Zawojska, Aldona, 2011. "Relationship of Development and Fiscal Indicators with Agricultural Producer Support in the OECD Economies," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 116009, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Bjornsen, Hild-Marte & Mishra, Ashok K., 2012. "Off-farm Employment and Farming Efficiency in Modern Agriculture: A Dynamic Panel Analysis," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124742, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Chang, Hung-Hao & Mishra, Ashok, 2008. "Impact of off-farm labor supply on food expenditures of the farm household," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 657-664, December.
- Sumon Kumar Bhaumik & Ralitza Dimova & Jeffrey B. Nugent, 2006.
"Pulls, Pushes and Entitlement Failures in Labor Markets: Does the State of Development Matter?,"
CEDI Discussion Paper Series
06-07, Centre for Economic Development and Institutions(CEDI), Brunel University.
- Bhaumik, Sumon K. & Dimova, Ralitza & Nugent, Jeffrey B., 2006. "Pulls, Pushes and Entitlement Failures in Labor Markets: Does the State of Development Matter?," IZA Discussion Papers 2258, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Goodwin, Barry K. & Bruer, Shanna, 2003. "An Empirical Analysis Of Farm Structure And Off-Farm Work Decisions," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 22164, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Nikolaj Malchow-M�ller & Michael Svarer, 2005. "Wage - labour activities by agricultural households in Nicaragua," The Journal of Development Studies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 41(7), pages 1221-1246.
- Mishra, Ashok K. & Paudel, Krishna P., 2008. "Policy Reform and Off-farm Labor Supply by Operators in the Delta Region: A," 2008 Annual Meeting, February 2-6, 2008, Dallas, Texas 6725, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Ashok Mishra & Barry Goodwin, 2006. "Revenue insurance purchase decisions of farmers," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(2), pages 149-159.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.