Effects of Decoupling on the Average and the Variability of Output
AbstractPrevious research has ignored the influence of inputs on output risk when assessing the effects of decoupled income-support payments on production decisions. This paper studies the impacts of agricultural policy decoupling on output variability and mean by explicitly considering the influence of agricultural input use on the stochastic component of production. We develop a theoretical framework that studies production responses of agricultural producers to apparently decoupled payments. Results show that, under DARA preferences, government transfers will have the effect of increasing production risk. Inferences on the effects of payments on output mean are also made. In our empirical application we use farm-level data collected in Kansas to illustrate the model.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Association of Agricultural Economists in its series 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark with number 24601.
Date of creation: 2005
Date of revision:
decoupling; output risk; risk preferences; Just-Pope production function; Demand and Price Analysis; Q12; Q18;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q12 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Micro Analysis of Farm Firms, Farm Households, and Farm Input Markets
- Q18 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Policy; Food Policy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Just, Richard E & Zilberman, David, 1983. "Stochastic Structure, Farm Size and Technology Adoption in Developing Agriculture," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 35(2), pages 307-28, July.
- Babcock, Bruce A. & Lichtenberg, E. & Zilberman, David, 1992. "Impact of Damage Control and Quality of Output: Estimating Pest Control Effectiveness," Staff General Research Papers 10589, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- J. K. Horowitz & E. Lichtenberg, 1994. "Risk-Reducing And Risk-Increasing Effects Of Pesticides," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(1), pages 82-89.
- Guyomard, Herve & Baudry, Marc & Carpentier, Alain, 1996.
"Estimating Crop Supply Response in the Presence of Farm Programmes: Application to the CAP,"
European Review of Agricultural Economics,
Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 23(4), pages 401-20.
- Guyomard & Baudry & Carpentier, 1996. "Estimating crop supply response in the presence of farm programmes : application to the CAP," Working Papers 153134, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Just, Richard E & Zilberman, David, 1986. "Does the Law of Supply Hold under Uncertainty?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 96(382), pages 514-24, June.
- Farnsworth, Richard L. & Moffitt, L. Joe, 1981. "Cotton Production Under Risk: An Analysis Of Input Effects On Yield Variability And Factor Demand," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 6(02), December.
- Chambers, Robert G., 1995. "The incidence of agricultural policies," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 317-335, June.
- Bar-Shira, Z. & Just, R. E. & Zilberman, D., 1997. "Estimation of farmers' risk attitude: an econometric approach," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 17(2-3), pages 211-222, December.
- Just, Richard E. & Pope, Rulon D., 1978. "Stochastic specification of production functions and economic implications," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 67-86, February.
- Sckokai, Paolo & Moro, Daniele, 2002. "Modelling The Cap Arable Crop Regime Under Uncertainty," 2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA 19860, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Hurd, Brian H., 1994. "Yield Response And Production Risk: An Analysis Of Integrated Pest Management In Cotton," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 19(02), December.
- Teresa Serra & David Zilberman & Barry K. Goodwin & Keijo Hyvonen, 2005. "Replacement of Agricultural Price Supports by Area Payments in the European Union and the Effects on Pesticide Use," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 87(4), pages 870-884.
- David A. Hennessy, 1998.
"The Production Effects of Agricultural Income Support Policies under Uncertainty,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(1), pages 46-57.
- Hennessy, David A., 1998. "The Production Effects of Agricultural Income Support Policies Under Uncertainty," Staff General Research Papers 1207, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Alfons Oude Lansink & Alain Carpentier, 2001. "Damage Control Productivity: An Input Damage Abatement Approach," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(3), pages 11-22.
- Alain Carpentier & Robert D. Weaver, 1997. "Damage Control Productivity: Why Econometrics Matters," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(1), pages 47-61.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.