Farm-household investment behaviour and the CAP decoupling: Methodological issues in assessing policy impacts
AbstractThe objective of this paper is to compare and discuss the role of farm-household surveys and farm-household models in assessing the impact of the Common Agricultural Policy reforms, focusing in particular on the effects of 2003 decoupling on farm investment behaviour. The paper compares two specific approaches: (i) in-depth face-to-face interviews with farm-householders and (ii) mathematical programming models of individual farm-households. The effects of decoupling estimated by these two approaches coincide in a majority of cases, while the differences suggest relevant complementarities. Altogether the paper suggests a wider scope for using mixed methodologies in assessing CAP policy impacts.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Policy Modeling.
Volume (Year): 33 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505735
Common Agricultural Policy Policy evaluation Investment behaviour Modelling tools Stated intentions;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard E. Howitt, 1995. "A Calibration Method For Agricultural Economic Production Models," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(2), pages 147-159.
- van Asseldonk, M. A. P. M. & Huirne, R. B. M. & Dijkhuizen, A. A. & Beulens, A. J. M., 1999. "Dynamic programming to determine optimum investments in information technology on dairy farms," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 17-28, October.
- Gomez y Paloma, Sergio & Raggi, Meri & Viaggi, Davide, 2008. "Between markets and policy: farm household's reaction to decoupling," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 44019, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Breen, James P. & Hennessy, Thia C. & Thorne, Fiona S., 2005. "The effect of decoupling on the decision to produce: An Irish case study," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 129-144, April.
- Viaggi, Davide & Raggi, Meri & Gomez y Paloma, Sergio, 2010. "An integer programming dynamic farm-household model to evaluate the impact of agricultural policy reforms on farm investment behaviour," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 207(2), pages 1130-1139, December.
- Britz, Wolfgang & Heckelei, Thomas, 2008. "Recent Developments In Eu Policies – Challenges For Partial Equilibrium Models," 107th Seminar, January 30-February 1, 2008, Sevilla, Spain 6315, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Tranter, R.B. & Swinbank, A. & Wooldridge, M.J. & Costa, L. & Knapp, T. & Little, G.P.J. & Sottomayor, M.L., 2007. "Implications for food production, land use and rural development of the European Union's Single Farm Payment: Indications from a survey of farmers' intentions in Germany, Portugal and the UK," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(5-6), pages 656-671.
- Gallerani, Vittorio & Gomez y Paloma, Sergio & Raggi, Meri & Viaggi, Davide, 2008. "Modelling The Effect Of Eu Policy Reforms On Farm Investment Behaviour," 107th Seminar, January 30-February 1, 2008, Sevilla, Spain 6444, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Oliver Balkhausen & Martin Banse & Harald Grethe, 2008. "Modelling CAP Decoupling in the EU: A Comparison of Selected Simulation Models and Results," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 59(1), pages 57-71, 02.
- Janssen, Sander & van Ittersum, Martin K., 2007. "Assessing farm innovations and responses to policies: A review of bio-economic farm models," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 94(3), pages 622-636, June.
- Teresa Serra & David Zilberman & Barry K. Goodwin & Allen Featherstone, 2006. "Effects of decoupling on the mean and variability of output," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 33(3), pages 269-288, September.
- Latruffe, Laure & Davidova, Sophia, 2006. "CAP Direct Payments and Distributional Conflicts Over Rented Land within Corporate Farms in the New Member States," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25242, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Revoredo-Giha, Cesar & Leat, Philip M.K., 2008. "Red Meat Producers’ Preferences For Strategies To Cope With The Cap Reform In Scotland," 109th Seminar, November 20-21, 2008, Viterbo, Italy 44844, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Cornelis Gardebroek & Alfons G.J.M. Oude Lansink, 2004. "Farm-specific Adjustment Costs in Dutch Pig Farming," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(1), pages 3-24.
- Michael T. Wallace & Joan E. Moss, 2002. "Farmer Decision-Making with Conflicting Goals: A Recursive Strategic Programming Analysis," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(1), pages 82-100.
- Gallerani, Vittorio & Gomez y Paloma, Sergio & Raggi, Meri & Viaggi, Davide, 2008. "Understanding The Determinants Of Investment Reactions To Decoupling," 109th Seminar, November 20-21, 2008, Viterbo, Italy 44841, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Alexandre Gohin & Laure Latruffe, 2006. "The Luxembourg Common Agricultural Policy Reform and the European Food Industries: What's at Stake?," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 54(1), pages 175-194, 03.
- Genius, Margarita & Karagiannis, Giannis & Tzouvelekas, Vangelis, 2008. "Assessing European Farmers’ Intentions In The Light Of The 2003 Cap Reform," 109th Seminar, November 20-21, 2008, Viterbo, Italy 44849, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Alexandre Gohin, 2006. "Assessing CAP Reform: Sensitivity of Modelling Decoupled Policies," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(3), pages 415-440.
- Conor O'Toole & Thia Hennessy, 2013. "Do decoupled payments affect investment financing constraints? Evidence from Irish agriculture," Trinity Economics Papers tep0113, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics.
- Bartolini, Fabio & Viaggi, Davide, 2011. "Factors Affecting the Impact of CAP Scenarios on Farm Structure: An Analysis Based on Stated Intentions," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114244, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Viaggi, Davide & Bartolini, Fabio & Puddu, Marco & Raggi, Meri, 2013. "Farm/Household-level Simulation Results of Testing Policy and Other Scenarios," Factor Markets Working Papers 166, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Giannoccaro, Giacomo & Berbel, Julio, 2012. "The Determinants of Farmer’s Intended Behaviour Towards the Adoption of Energy Crops in Southern Spain: an Application of the Classification Tree-Method," Bio-based and Applied Economics Journal, Italian Association of Agricultural and Applied Economics (AIEAA), issue 2, August.
- Santeramo, Fabio Gaetano & Cioffi, Antonio, 2012.
"The entry price threshold in EU agriculture: deterrent or barrier?,"
36431, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Santeramo, Fabio Gaetano & Cioffi, Antonio, 2012. "The entry price threshold in EU agriculture: Deterrent or barrier?," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 691-704.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.