Damage Control Productivity: Why Econometrics Matters
AbstractFor nonexperimental data, asymmetric specifications of the role of damage control inputs impose restrictions of homotheticity or nonjointness on the underlying technology. A generalized symmetric form where damage control inputs affect factor diminution functions motivates use of symmetric specifications. Panel data and estimation methods are presented to produce robust estimates of damage control productivity that are free of heterogeneity bias. Estimates of the productivity of pesticides for French cereal farm production illustrate that fixed firm and time effects are important. Estimates indicate substantially smaller marginal productivity of pesticides than reported by past studies. Copyright 1997, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 79 (1997)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lu, Liang & Elbakidze, Levan, 2012. "Application of Comparative Dynamics in Stochastic Invasive Species Management in Agricultural Production," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 125226, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Fadhuile, Adelaide & Lemarie, Stephane & Pirotte, Alain, 2011. "Pesticides Uses in Crop Production: What Can We Learn from French Farmers Practices?," 2011 Annual Meeting, July 24-26, 2011, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 103654, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Mitchell, Paul D., 2001. "Additive Versus Proportional Pest Damage Functions: Why Ecology Matters," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20775, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Young, Douglas L. & Smith, Elwin G. & Kwon, Tae-Jin, 2000. "Aggregation Issues In Pest Control Economics: A Bioeconomic Approach," 2000 Annual Meeting, June 29-July 1, 2000, Vancouver, British Columbia 36448, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Weaver, Robert D. & Kim, Taeho, 1999. "Targeting Environmental Protection In Agriculture: Ipm And Bmps As Environmental Performance Indicators," 1999 Annual meeting, August 8-11, Nashville, TN 21576, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Lichtenberg, Erik, 2002.
"Agriculture and the environment,"
Handbook of Agricultural Economics,
in: B. L. Gardner & G. C. Rausser (ed.), Handbook of Agricultural Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 23, pages 1249-1313
- Serra, Teresa & Zilberman, David & Goodwin, Barry K. & Featherstone, Allen M., 2005. "Effects of Decoupling on the Average and the Variability of Output," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24601, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Robert Weaver & Justus Wessler, 2004. "Monopolistic pricing power for transgenic crops when technology adopters face irreversible benefits and costs," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 11(15), pages 969-973.
- Young, Douglas L. & Haantuba, Hyde H., 1998. "An Economic Threshold For Tick Control Considering Multiple Damages And Probability-Based Damage Functions," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 23(02), December.
- Céline Nauges & Alban Thomas, 2003. "Long-run Study of Residential Water Consumption," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 26(1), pages 25-43, September.
- Carpentier, Alain & Letort, Elodie, 2011.
"Endogeneity of Acreage Choices in Input Allocation Equation: Implied Problems and a Solution,"
2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland
114386, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Letort, Elodie & Carpentier, Alain, 2009. "Endogeneity of acreage choices in input allocation equations: implied problems and a solution," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 49217, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Demont, Matty & Tollens, Eric, 2001. "Uncertainties Of Estimating The Welfare Effects Of Agricultural Biotechnology In The European Union," Working Papers 31828, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centre for Agricultural and Food Economics.
- Norwood, F. Bailey & Marra, Michele C., 2003. "Pesticide Productivity: Of Bugs and Biases," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 28(03), December.
- Lu, Liang & Elbakidze, Levan, 2012. "Application of Comparative Dynamics in Stochastic Invasive Species Management in Agricultural Production," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124971, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Lichtenberg, Erik & Berlind, Ayesha Velderman, 2005.
"Does It Matter Who Scouts?,"
Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 30(02), August.
- Dirksmeyer, Walter, 2007. "Ist Eine Reduzierung Des Pflanzenschutzmitteleinsatzes Im Freilandgemüsebau Möglich? Ergebnisse Eines Bioökonomischen Simulationsmodells," 47th Annual Conference, Weihenstephan, Germany, September 26-28, 2007 7592, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- Robert Chambers & Giannis Karagiannis & Vangelis Tzouvelekas, 2009. "Yet Another Look at Pest Damage and Pesticide Productivity," Working Papers 0911, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.