Stochastic Technology, Risk Preferences, and Adoption of Site-Specific Technologies
AbstractA model of farmer decision making is developed to determine the extent to which uncertainties about soil fertility and weather affect the value of site-specific technologies (SSTs) using jointly estimated risk and technology parameters. Uncertainty can lead risk-averse farmers to apply more fertilizers and generate more pollution than in the certainty case. Ignoring uncertainty and risk aversion would overestimate the economic and environmental benefits of SSTs and underestimate the subsidy required to induce adoption. Accounting for uncertainties and risk preferences might explain the low observed adoption rates of SSTs. Improving the accuracy of SSTs would increase the incentives for adoption. Copyright 2003, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 85 (2003)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Tveteras, Ragnar & Flaten, Ola & Lien, Gudbrand D., 2008. "Production risk in multi-output industries: estimates from Norwegian dairy farms," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 43958, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Finger, Robert & Schmid, Stephanie, 2007.
"Modeling agricultural production risk and the adaptation to climate change,"
101st Seminar, July 5-6, 2007, Berlin Germany
9270, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Robert Finger & Stéphanie Schmid, 2008. "Modeling agricultural production risk and the adaptation to climate change," Agricultural Finance Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 68(1), pages 25-41, September.
- Finger, Robert & Schmid, Stéphanie, 2007. "Modelling Agricultural Production Risk and the Adaptation to Climate Change," MPRA Paper 3943, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Serra, Teresa & Zilberman, David & Gil, Jose Maria, 2008. "Farms' technical inefficiencies in the presence of government programs," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 52(1), March.
- Lence, Sergio H., 2008. "How Much Can We Learn About Producers' Utility Functions from Their Production Data?," Proceedings:2008 Agricultural and Rural Finance Markets in Transition, September 25-26, 2008, Kansas City, Missouri 119534, Regional Research Committee NC-1014: Agricultural and Rural Finance Markets in Transition.
- Durbach, Ian, 2009. "On the estimation of a satisficing model of choice using stochastic multicriteria acceptability analysis," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 497-509, June.
- Murat Isik, 2006. "Implications of alternative stochastic processes for investment in agricultural technologies," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 13(1), pages 21-27.
- Claassen, Roger & Cattaneo, Andrea & Johansson, Robert, 2008. "Cost-effective design of agri-environmental payment programs: U.S. experience in theory and practice," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(4), pages 737-752, May.
- Serra, Teresa & Zilberman, David & Goodwin, Barry K. & Featherstone, Allen M., 2005. "Decoupling farm policies: how does this affect production?," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19194, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Isik, Murat & Coble, Keith H. & Hudson, Darren & House, Lisa, 2002.
"A Model Of Entry-Exit Decisions And Capacity Choice Under Demand Uncertainty,"
2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA
19797, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Isik, Murat & Coble, Keith H. & Hudson, Darren & House, Lisa O., 2003. "A model of entry-exit decisions and capacity choice under demand uncertainty," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 28(3), pages 215-224, May.
- Isik, Murat, 2003. "Environmental Regulation And The Optimal Location Of The Firm Under Uncertainty," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 22066, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Teresa Serra & Barry Goodwin, 2009. "The efficiency of Spanish arable crop organic farms, a local maximum likelihood approach," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 31(2), pages 113-124, April.
- Finger, Robert & Gerwig, Claude N., 2007.
"The Impact of Climate Change on the Profitability of Site Specific Technologies,"
4792, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Finger, Robert & Gerwig, Claude N., 2007. "The Impact Of Climate Change On The Profitability Of Site Specific Technologies," 47th Annual Conference, Weihenstephan, Germany, September 26-28, 2007 7574, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- Nahry, A.H. El & Ali, R.R. & Baroudy, A.A. El, 2011. "An approach for precision farming under pivot irrigation system using remote sensing and GIS techniques," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 98(4), pages 517-531, February.
- Baerenklau, Kenneth A., 2004. "Simulating the Effects of a Green Payment Program on the Diffusion Rate of a Conservation Technology," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 33(1), April.
- Murat Isik, 2004. "Incentives for Technology Adoption Under Environmental Policy Uncertainty: Implications for Green Payment Programs," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 27(3), pages 247-263, March.
- Serra, Teresa & Goodwin, Barry K. & Featherstone, Allen M., 2011. "Risk behavior in the presence of government programs," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 162(1), pages 18-24, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.