Estimating a production function under production and output price risks: An application to beef cattle in France
AbstractThis paper addresses the issue of agricultural production under both output level and output price risks, in a context of random climatic conditions affecting forage used in beef production. It contributes to the empirical literature by applying the framework proposed by Isik (2002) to derive estimating equations from a structural production model with two sources of risks. Flexible functional forms for risk preferences and production technology allow us to identify attitudes toward risk and compute marginal effects of inputs and climate on expected output and production risk. The model is applied on a panel of French cattle farms and estimation results suggest that cattle farmer exhibit strong risk aversion of the CRRA form, and that climate has a significant impact on the performance of animal feeding strategies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by LERNA, University of Toulouse in its series LERNA Working Papers with number 09.10.286.
Date of creation: May 2009
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Agabriel, Jacques & Lherm, Michel & Mosnier, Claire & Reynaud, Arnaud & Thomas, Alban, 2009. "Estimating a Production Function under Production and Output Price Risks: An Application to Beef Cattle in France," TSE Working Papers 09-046, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- NEP-ALL-2009-06-10 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Phillips, Peter C.B., 1980.
"On the Consistency of Non-Linear FIML,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
573, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Bar-Shira, Z. & Just, R. E. & Zilberman, D., 1997. "Estimation of farmers' risk attitude: an econometric approach," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 17(2-3), pages 211-222, December.
- Murat Isik, 2002. "Resource Management under Production and Output Price Uncertainty: Implications for Environmental Policy," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(3), pages 557-571.
- John M. Antle & Susan M. Capalbo, 2001.
"Econometric-Process Models for Integrated Assessment of Agricultural Production Systems,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(2), pages 389-401.
- Antle, John M. & Capalbo, Susan M., 2000. "Econometric-Process Models For Integrated Assessment Of Agricultural Production Systems," Trade Research Center Research Discussion Papers 29234, Montana State University, Department of Agricultural Economics and Economics.
- Antle, John M, 1983. "Testing the Stochastic Structure of Production: A Flexible Moment-based Approach," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 1(3), pages 192-201, July.
- Hennessy, David A., 1998.
"The Production Effects of Agricultural Income Support Policies Under Uncertainty,"
Staff General Research Papers
1207, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- David A. Hennessy, 1998. "The Production Effects of Agricultural Income Support Policies under Uncertainty," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(1), pages 46-57.
- Murat Isik & Stephen Devadoss, 2006. "An analysis of the impact of climate change on crop yields and yield variability," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(7), pages 835-844.
- Chavas, Jean-Paul & Pope, Rulon, 1985. "Price uncertainty and competitive firm behavior: Testable hypotheses from expected utility maximization," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 223-235, August.
- Just, Richard E. & Pope, Rulon D., 1978. "Stochastic specification of production functions and economic implications," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 67-86, February.
- Subal C. Kumbhakar & Ragnar Tveter�s, 2003. "Risk Preferences, Production Risk and Firm Heterogeneity," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 105(2), pages 275-293, 06.
- Chavas, Jean-Paul & Holt, Matthew T, 1996. "Economic Behavior under Uncertainty: A Joint Analysis of Risk Preferences and Technology," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 78(2), pages 329-35, May.
- Lins, David A. & Gabriel, Stephen C. & Sonka, Steven T., 1981. "An Analysis Of The Risk Aversion Of Farm Operators: An Asset Portfolio Approach," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 6(01), July.
- Chi-Chung Chen & Ching-Cheng Chang, 2005. "The impact of weather on crop yield distribution in Taiwan: some new evidence from panel data models and implications for crop insurance," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 33(s3), pages 503-511, November.
- Barry T. Coyle, 1999. "Risk Aversion and Yield Uncertainty in Duality Models of Production: A Mean-Variance Approach," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(3), pages 553-567.
- Ben Groom & Phoebe Koundouri & Celine Nauges & Alban Thomas, 2008. "The story of the moment: risk averse cypriot farmers respond to drought management," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(3), pages 315-326.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maxime MARTY).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.