Information Value and Risk Premium in Agricultural Production: The Case of Split Nitrogen Application for Corn
AbstractThis article considers an agricultural production model of sequential nitrogen application under risk. Because of random shocks between subsequent production stages, optimal fertilization decisions depend on the magnitude of farmers' risk aversion (risk premium), and the possibility for farmers to process information (value of information). We propose a joint estimation procedure of technology and risk aversion parameters, using a structural, simulation-based econometric procedure. Parameter estimates allow to compute both the value of information and the risk premium, which account for about 30% of fertilizer cost for Midwest corn producers. Copyright 2000, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 82 (2000)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Baptiste Lelyon & Vincent Chatellier & Karine Daniel, 2011. "Decoupling and prices: determinant of dairy farmers’ choices?," Review of Agricultural and Environmental Studies - Revue d'Etudes en Agriculture et Environnement, INRA Department of Economics, vol. 92(1), pages 47-68.
- Vercammen, James & Gulati, Sumeet & Anda, Mario, 2004. "Government Taxation Schemes to Reduce Fertilizer Runoff," NAREA-CAES Conference, June 20-23, 2004, Halifax, Nova Scotia 34195, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society & Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association.
- Gomez-Limon, Jose A. & Arriaza, Manuel & Riesgo, Laura, 2003. "An MCDM analysis of agricultural risk aversion," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 151(3), pages 569-585, December.
- Gomez-Limon, Jose Antonio & Riesgo, Laura & Arriaza Balmon, Manuel, 2002. "Agricultural Risk Aversion Revisited: A Multicriteria Decision-Making Approach," 2002 International Congress, August 28-31, 2002, Zaragoza, Spain 24827, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Bontems, Philippe & Thomas, Alban, 2001. "Optimal Regulation Under Asymmetric Information And Risk Aversion With An Application To Pollution Control," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20727, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Arnaud Reynaud, 2009. "Adaptation à court et à long terme de l'agriculture au risque de sécheresse : une approche par couplage de modèles biophysiques et économiques," Review of Agricultural and Environmental Studies - Revue d'Etudes en Agriculture et Environnement, INRA Department of Economics, vol. 90(2), pages 121-154.
- Tronstad, Russell & Silvertooth, Jeffrey C. & Husman, Steve, 2001. "Optimal Production Inputs With Varying Quality And Yield Components: Irrigation Termination Of Upland," 2001 Annual Meeting, July 8-11, 2001, Logan, Utah 36088, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- EECKHOUDT Louis & THOMAS Alban & TREICH Nicolas, 2006. "Correlated Risks and the Value of Information for Agricultural Producers," LERNA Working Papers 06.12.205, LERNA, University of Toulouse.
- Baptiste Lelyon & Vincent Chatellier & Karine Daniel, 2011. "Decoupling and prices: determinant of dairy farmersâ€™ choices?," Working Papers 47123, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.