Risk Preference Estimation in the Nonlinear Mean Standard Deviation Approach
AbstractRisk preferences and technology are jointly estimated in the nonlinear mean-standard deviation framework for a competitive firm model under price risk. A utility function is proposed that nests various risk preference structures and risk neutrality as empirically refutable special cases. The empirical application using firm-level data finds evidence of decreasing absolute risk aversion, differences in the nature of relative risk aversion by firm size, and little support for the widely used linear mean-variance framework. The estimation results also show that ignoring risk and risk preferences can substantially overestimate output supply and input demand elasticities. Copyright 1997 by Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Western Economic Association International in its journal Economic Inquiry.
Volume (Year): 35 (1997)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://ei.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Serra, Teresa & Zilberman, David & Gil, Jose Maria, 2007.
"Farms' Technical Inefficiencies in the Presence of Government Programs,"
2007 Annual Meeting, July 29-August 1, 2007, Portland, Oregon TN
9952, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Serra, Teresa & Zilberman, David & Gil, Jose Maria, 2008. "Farms' technical inefficiencies in the presence of government programs," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 52(1), March.
- Cooper, Joseph C., 2009. "Economic Aspects of Revenue-Based Commodity Support," Economic Research Report 55838, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- James L. Smith & Rex Thompson, 2006.
"Rational Plunging and the Option Value of Sequential Investment The Case of Petroleum Exploration,"
0602, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Center for Energy and Environmental Policy Research.
- Smith, James L. & Thompson, Rex, 2009. "Rational plunging and the option value of sequential investment: The case of petroleum exploration," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 1009-1033, August.
- Serra, Teresa & Goodwin, Barry K. & Featherstone, Allen M., 2011. "Risk behavior in the presence of government programs," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 162(1), pages 18-24, May.
- Gomez-Limon, Jose Antonio & Riesgo, Laura & Arriaza Balmon, Manuel, 2002. "Agricultural Risk Aversion Revisited: A Multicriteria Decision-Making Approach," 2002 International Congress, August 28-31, 2002, Zaragoza, Spain 24827, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Felipe Balmaceda, . "Compensation Methods in Competitive Labor Markets," ILADES-Georgetown University Working Papers inv118, Ilades-Georgetown University, Universidad Alberto Hurtado/School of Economics and Bussines.
- Alma Cohen & Liran Einav, 2005.
"Estimating Risk Preferences from Deductible Choice,"
NBER Working Papers
11461, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alma Cohen & Liran Einav, 2007. "Estimating Risk Preferences from Deductible Choice," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 97(3), pages 745-788, June.
- Alma Cohen & Liran Einav, 2005. "Estimating Risk Preferences from Deductible Choice," Discussion Papers 04-031, Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research.
- Roche, M. & McQuinn, K., 2003. "Efficient allocation of land in a decoupled world," Economics, Finance and Accounting Department Working Paper Series n1190103, Department of Economics, Finance and Accounting, National University of Ireland - Maynooth.
- Joshua Graff Zivin, 2001. "Cost-effectiveness analysis with risk aversion," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(6), pages 499-508.
- Bettina Klose & Paul Schweinzer, 2012. "Auctioning risk: The all-pay auction under mean-variance preferences," ECON - Working Papers 097, Department of Economics - University of Zurich.
- Boyle, Gerry & Conniffe, Denis & McQuinn, Kieran, 2005. "A New Mean Standard Deviation Utility Function and the Behaviour Towards Risk of Specialist Irish Agricultural Producers: 1988-1997," Research Technical Papers 5/RT/05, Central Bank of Ireland.
- Cooper, Joseph C., 2008. "A Revenue-Based Alternative to the Counter-Cyclical Payment Program," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6197, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Bettina Klose & Paul Schweinzer, 2012. "Auctioning risk: The all-pay auction under mean-variance preferences," Discussion Papers 12/32, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Graff Zivin, Joshua & Small, Arthur A., 2003. "Risk sharing in Coasean contracts," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 45(2, Supple), pages 394-415, March.
- Gomez-Limon, Jose A. & Arriaza, Manuel & Riesgo, Laura, 2003. "An MCDM analysis of agricultural risk aversion," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 151(3), pages 569-585, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.