Modeling Production Risk With A Two-Step Procedure
AbstractThis study deals with modeling of production risk by means of a two-step procedure. In contrast to earlier studies of production risk, we do not immediately adopt restrictive functional forms for the risky production technology. We first test for the presence of production risk. If production risk is found to be present, the mean and risk functions are estimated separately. This allows the use of more flexible functional forms for both the mean and the risk functions than commonly found in the literature. An empirical application to Norwegian salmon farming, where restrictive specifications of the technology are rejected, demonstrates the validity of our approach. Presence of production risk many primary production sectors implies that this approach should be considered in productivity studies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Western Agricultural Economics Association in its journal Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
Volume (Year): 24 (1999)
Issue (Month): 02 (December)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Asche, Frank, 1997. "Trade Disputes And Productivity Gains: The Curse Of Farmed Salmon Production?," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 12(1).
- Breusch, T S & Pagan, A R, 1979. "A Simple Test for Heteroscedasticity and Random Coefficient Variation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(5), pages 1287-94, September.
- Salvanes, Kjell Gunnar, 1989. "The Structure of the Norwegian Fish Farming Industry: An Empirical Analysis of Economies of Scale and Substitution Possibilities," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 6(4).
- Wan, Guang H & Griffiths, William E & Anderson, Jock R, 1992. "Using Panel Data to Estimate Risk Effects in Seemingly Unrelated Production Functions," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 35-49.
- MacKinnon, James G, 1992. "Model Specification Tests and Artificial Regressions," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 30(1), pages 102-46, March.
- Godfrey,L. G., 1991. "Misspecification Tests in Econometrics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521424592, December.
- Just, Richard E. & Pope, Rulon D., 1978. "Stochastic specification of production functions and economic implications," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 67-86, February.
- G. H. Wan & J. R. Anderson, 1990. "Estimating Risk Effects In Chinese Foodgrain Production," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(1), pages 85-93.
- Gourieroux Christian & Monfort Alain & Trognon A, 1981.
"Pseudo maximum likelihood methods : theory,"
CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange)
- Hurd, Brian H., 1994. "Yield Response And Production Risk: An Analysis Of Integrated Pest Management In Cotton," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 19(02), December.
- Arne Hallam & Rashid M. Hassan & B. D'Silva, 1989. "Measuring Stochastic Technology for the Multi-product Firm: The Irrigated Farms of Sudan," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 37(3), pages 495-512, November.
- Salvanes, Kjell Gunnar, 1993. "Public Regulation and Production Factor Misallocation. A Restricted Cost Function for the Norwegian Aquaculture Industry," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 8(1).
- T. Bjørndal & K. G. Salvanes, 1995. "Gains From Deregulation? An Empirical Test For Efficiency Gains In The Norwegian Fish Farming Industry," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(1), pages 113-126.
- Roberts, Roland K. & Walters, Jeremy T. & Larson, James A. & English, Burton C. & Howard, Donald D., 2004. "Optimal Nitrogen Fertilization Rates in Winter Wheat Production as Affected by Risk, Disease, and Nitrogen Source," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 36(01), April.
- Tveteras, Ragnar & Flaten, Ola & Lien, Gudbrand D., 2008. "Production risk in multi-output industries: estimates from Norwegian dairy farms," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 43958, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Tomasz Gerard Czekaj & Arne Henningsen, 2013. "Panel Data Nonparametric Estimation of Production Risk and Risk Preferences: An Application to Polish Dairy Farms," IFRO Working Paper 2013/6, University of Copenhagen, Department of Food and Resource Economics.
- Tveteras, Sigbjorn, 2002. "Norwegian Salmon Aquaculture And Sustainability: The Relationship Between Environmental Quality And Industry Growth," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 17(2).
- Asche, Frank & Bjorndal, Trond & Sissener, Elin H., 2003. "Relative Productivity Development In Salmon Aquaculture," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 18(2).
- Andersen, Trude B. & Roll, Kristin H. & Tveteras, Sigbjorn, 2008. "The Price Responsiveness of Salmon Supply in the Short and Long Run," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 23(4).
- Ogundari, Kolawole & Akinbogun, Olajide O., 2010. "Modeling Technical Efficiency with Production Risk: A Study of Fish Farms in Nigeria," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 25(3).
- Straume, Hans-Martin, 2013. "Currency invoicing in Norwegian salmon export," Working Papers in Economics 11/13, University of Bergen, Department of Economics.
- Tveteras, Ragnar, 2002. "Industrial Agglomeration And Production Costs In Norwegian Salmon Aquaculture," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 17(1).
- Oglend, Atle & Sikveland, Marius, 2008. "The Behaviour of Salmon Price Volatility," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 23(4).
- Guttormsen, Atle G., 2002. "Input Factor Substitutability In Salmon Aquaculture," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 17(2).
- Howard, Donald D. & English, Burton C. & Larson, James A. & Roberts, Roland K. & Walters, Jeremy T., 2004. "Effects Of Risk, Disease, And Nitrogen Source On Optimal Nitrogen Fertilization Rates In Winter Wheat Production," 2004 Annual Meeting, February 14-18, 2004, Tulsa, Oklahoma 34688, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Jaenicke, Edward C. & Frechette, Darren L. & Larson, James A., 2003. "Estimating Production Risk and Inefficiency Simultaneously: An Application to Cotton Cropping Systems," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 28(03), December.
- Isik, Murat & Khanna, Madhu, 2002. "Stochastic Technology, Risk Preferences And Adoption Of Site-Specific Technologies," 2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA 19858, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Asche, Frank & Guttormsen, Atle G. & Roll, Kristin H., 2006. "Modelling Production Risk in Small Scale Subsistence Agriculture," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25574, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.