Risk Considerations In The Reduction Of Nitrogen Fertilizer Use In Agricultural Production
AbstractNonpoint pollution problems resulting from current agricultural practices are forcing policymakers to examine alternative mitigation strategies. Two mechanisms suggested to control the use of nitrogen fertilizer, a source of potentially harmful contaminants of water sources, are quantitative standards and incentives through per-unit taxation. Impacts of both policies on the distribution of farm net returns are analyzed. Risk attitudes are observed to influence the magnitude of farmer response to alternative policies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Western Agricultural Economics Association in its journal Western Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 15 (1990)
Issue (Month): 02 (December)
Crop Production/Industries; Environmental Economics and Policy;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Batie, Sandra S., 1988. "Agriculture As The Problem: New Agendas And New Opportunities," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 20(01), July.
- Russeli, Clifford S., 1986. "A note on the efficiency ranking of two second-best policy instruments for pollution control," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 13-17, March.
- Buchanan, James M & Tullock, Gordon, 1975. "Polluters' Profits and Political Response: Direct Controls Versus Taxes," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 65(1), pages 139-47, March.
- Schwabe, Kurt A. & Knapp, Keith C., 2005. "Nitrogen as a Capital Input and Stock Pollutant: A Dynamic Analysis of Corn Production and Nitrogen Leaching under Non-Uniform Irrigation," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19466, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Thomas, Arthur C. & Boisvert, Richard N., 1995. "The Bioeconomics Of Regulating Nitrates In Groundwater From Agricultural Production Through Taxes, Quantity Restrictions, And Pollution Permits," Research Bulletins 122999, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Roberts, Roland K. & Walters, Jeremy T. & Larson, James A. & English, Burton C. & Howard, Donald D., 2004. "Optimal Nitrogen Fertilization Rates in Winter Wheat Production as Affected by Risk, Disease, and Nitrogen Source," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 36(01), April.
- Metcalfe, Todd & Bosch, Darrell J. & Pease, James W. & Alley, Mark M. & Phillips, Steve B., 2007. "Yield Reserve Program Costs in the Virginia Coastal Plain," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 36(2), October.
- Isik, Murat & Khanna, Madhu, 2002. "Stochastic Technology, Risk Preferences And Adoption Of Site-Specific Technologies," 2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA 19858, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Carriker, Gordon L., 1993. "Factor Input Demand Subject to Economic and Environmental Risk: The Case of Nitrogen Fertilizer in Corn Production," Staff Papers 118154, Kansas State University, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Onianwa, Odili & Alderfer, Richard & Levins, Richard A., 1992. "Taxation As A Means Of Reducing Nitrogen Fertilizer Use In Minnesota Corn Production," Staff Papers 13281, University of Minnesota, Department of Applied Economics.
- Vorotnikova, Ekaterina & VanSickle, John J. & Borisova, Tatiana, 2013. "The Economic Value of Precision Management System for Fungicide Application in Florida Strawberry Industry," 2013 Annual Meeting, February 2-5, 2013, Orlando, Florida 143108, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Howard, Donald D. & English, Burton C. & Larson, James A. & Roberts, Roland K. & Walters, Jeremy T., 2004. "Effects Of Risk, Disease, And Nitrogen Source On Optimal Nitrogen Fertilization Rates In Winter Wheat Production," 2004 Annual Meeting, February 14-18, 2004, Tulsa, Oklahoma 34688, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Finger, Robert, 2012. "Nitrogen use and the effects of nitrogen taxation under consideration of production and price risks," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 107(C), pages 13-20.
- Vorotnikova, Ekaterina & VanSickle, John J. & Borisova, Tatiana, 2012. "The Economic Value of the Precision Disease Management System for Anthracnose and Botrytis Fruit Rot for the Florida Strawberry Industry," 2012 Annual Meeting, February 4-7, 2012, Birmingham, Alabama 119791, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Yang, Wanhong & Isik, Murat, 2003. "Integrating Farmer Decision-Making to Target Land Retirement Programs," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 22062, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Walters, Jeremy T. & Roberts, Roland K. & Larson, James A. & English, Burton C. & Howard, Donald D., 2003. "Effects Of Risk On Optimal Nitrogen Fertilization Dates In Winter Wheat Production As Affected By Disease And Nitrogen Source," 2003 Annual Meeting, February 1-5, 2003, Mobile, Alabama 35035, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Monjardino, Marta & McBeath, T. & Brennan, Lisa E. & Llewellyn, Rick S., 2012. "Revisiting N fertilisation rates in low-rainfall grain cropping regions of Australia: A risk analysis," 2012 Conference (56th), February 7-10, 2012, Freemantle, Australia 124339, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Chowdhury, Manzoor E. & Lacewell, Ronald D., 1996. "Implications Of Alternative Policies On Nitrate Contamination Of Groundwater," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 21(01), July.
- Jaenicke, Edward C. & Frechette, Darren L. & Larson, James A., 2003. "Estimating Production Risk and Inefficiency Simultaneously: An Application to Cotton Cropping Systems," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 28(03), December.
- Bontems, Philippe & Thomas, Alban, 2001. "Optimal Regulation Under Asymmetric Information And Risk Aversion With An Application To Pollution Control," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20727, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Thomas, Alban & Bontems, Philippe, 1998. "Information Value And Risk Premium In Agricultural Production Under Risk: The Case Of Split Nitrogen Application For Corn," 1998 Annual meeting, August 2-5, Salt Lake City, UT 20844, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Karagiannis, Giannis, 1999.
"Proportional Profit Taxes And Resource Management Under Production Uncertainty,"
Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 24(02), December.
- Giannis Karagiannis, . "Proportional Profit Taxes and Resource Management under Production Uncertainty," Working Papers 9819, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
- Gomez-Limon, Jose Antonio & Riesgo, Laura & Arriaza Balmon, Manuel, 2002. "Agricultural Risk Aversion Revisited: A Multicriteria Decision-Making Approach," 2002 International Congress, August 28-31, 2002, Zaragoza, Spain 24827, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Monjardino, Marta & McBeath, T. & Brennan, Lisa E. & Llewellyn, Rick S., 2012. "Are farmers in low-rainfall cropping regions under-fertilizing? An Australian case-study," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 124976, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Apland, Jeffrey & Grainger, Corbett & Strock, Jeffrey, 2004. "Modeling Agricultural Production Considering Water Quality and Risk," Staff Papers 14240, University of Minnesota, Department of Applied Economics.
- Gomez-Limon, Jose A. & Arriaza, Manuel & Riesgo, Laura, 2003. "An MCDM analysis of agricultural risk aversion," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 151(3), pages 569-585, December.
- Finger, Robert, 2011. "Reductions of Agricultural Nitrogen Use Under Consideration of Production and Price Risks," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114356, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.