Regional Income Inequality And Urbanisation Trends In China: 1978-2005
AbstractA long-standing economic literature has delivered rich empirical evidence on the relationship between economic growth and income inequality or urbanisation, since Simon Kuznets’ pioneering work on the inverted U curve hypothesis. This paper explores the relationship between urban inequality and urbanisation trends in China from 1978 to 2005, a period that corresponds to the economic opening up of the country to the market economy. One of the main issues, here, is not only to test the correlation between regional income inequality and urbanisation trends, but also to highlight the neighbouring effects of this correlation, mainly through the use of some new spatial analysis tools. This paper delivers two conclusions: firstly, neighbouring effects are stronger when it comes to income inequality than urbanisation; secondly, a distortion in development patterns, between northern and southern coastal China appears: in the first one, growth effects and urbanisation process spread all over the different provinces, while in the second one, Guangdong appears as a regional economic centre.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Region et Developpement, LEAD, Universite du Sud - Toulon Var in its journal Région et Développement.
Volume (Year): 28 (2008)
Issue (Month): ()
INCOME INEQUALITY; URBANISATION; CHINA; SPATIAL;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- R12 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Size and Spatial Distributions of Regional Economic Activity; Interregional Trade (economic geography)
- O15 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Economic Development: Human Resources; Human Development; Income Distribution; Migration
- O53 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Asia including Middle East
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hooley, Richard, 2004. "Comments on Tuan and Ng: "Manufacturing agglomeration as incentives to Asian FDI in China after WTO"," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 695-696, August.
- Chun-Chung Au & J. Vernon Henderson, 2006. "Are Chinese Cities Too Small?," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 73(3), pages 549-576.
- LE GALLO, Julie, 2001. "Space-time analysis of GDP disparities among European regions: A Markov chains approach," LATEC - Document de travail - Economie (1991-2003) 2001-06, LATEC, Laboratoire d'Analyse et des Techniques EConomiques, CNRS UMR 5118, Université de Bourgogne.
- Chen, Jian & Fleisher, Belton M., 1996. "Regional Income Inequality and Economic Growth in China," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 141-164, April.
- Dapeng Hu & Masahisa Fujita, 2001. "Regional disparity in China 1985-1994: The effects of globalization and economic liberalization," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 35(1), pages 3-37.
- Cletus C. Coughlin & Thomas B. Mandelbaum, 1988. "Why have state per capita incomes diverged recently?," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Sep, pages 24-36.
- Julie Le Gallo & Coro Chasco-Yrigoyen, 2006.
"Spatial Analysis of Urban Growth in Spain (1900-2001),"
ERSA conference papers
ersa06p878, European Regional Science Association.
- Julie Gallo & Coro Chasco, 2008. "Spatial analysis of urban growth in Spain, 1900–2001," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 34(1), pages 59-80, February.
- Maurice Catin & Christophe Van huffel, 2003. "Concentration urbaine et industrialisation," Mondes en développement, De Boeck Université, vol. 121(1), pages 87-107.
- Cem ERTUR & Wilfried KOCH, 2005. "Une Analyse Exploratoire Des Disparités Régionales Dans L'Europe Élargie," Region et Developpement, Region et Developpement, LEAD, Universite du Sud - Toulon Var, vol. 21, pages 65-92.
- Maurice CATIN & Christophe VAN HUFFEL, 2004. "L'Impact De L'Ouverture Économique Sur La Concentration Spatiale Dans Les Pays En Développement," Region et Developpement, Region et Developpement, LEAD, Universite du Sud - Toulon Var, vol. 20, pages 123-157.
- Danny Quah, 1992.
"Empirical cross-section dynamics in economic growth,"
Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics
75, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Quah, Danny, 1993. "Empirical cross-section dynamics in economic growth," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 37(2-3), pages 426-434, April.
- Danny Quah, 1992. "Empirical Cross-Section Dynamics in Economic Growth," FMG Discussion Papers dp154, Financial Markets Group.
- Sandy DALL'ERBA & Julie LE GALLO, 2005. "Dynamique Du Processus De Convergence Régionale En Europe," Region et Developpement, Region et Developpement, LEAD, Universite du Sud - Toulon Var, vol. 21, pages 119-139.
- Chang, Gene Hsin & Brada, Josef C., 2006. "The paradox of China's growing under-urbanization," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 24-40, March.
- Hu, Dapeng, 2002. "Trade, rural-urban migration, and regional income disparity in developing countries: a spatial general equilibrium model inspired by the case of China," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 311-338, May.
- Amos, Orley Jr., 1988. "Unbalanced regional growth and regional income inequality in the latter stages of development," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 549-566, November.
- Tuan, Chyau & Ng, Linda F. Y., 2004. "Manufacturing agglomeration as incentives to Asian FDI in China after WTO," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 673-693, August.
- Carlos R. Azzoni, 2001. "Economic growth and regional income inequality in Brazil," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 35(1), pages 133-152.
- Tsui, Kai-yuen, 1996. "Economic reform and interprovincial inequalities in China," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 353-368, August.
- Moomaw, Ronald L. & Shatter, Ali M., 1996. "Urbanization and Economic Development: A Bias toward Large Cities?," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 13-37, July.
- Davis, James C. & Henderson, J. Vernon, 2003. "Evidence on the political economy of the urbanization process," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 98-125, January.
- Aroca, Patricio & Guo, Dong & Hewings, Geoffrey J.D., 2006. "Spatial Convergence in China: 1952-99," Working Paper Series RP2006/89, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Sylvie Demurger & Martin Fournier & Shi Li, 2006.
"Urban income inequality in China revisited (1988–2002),"
- Demurger, Sylvie & Fournier, Martin & Li, Shi, 2006. "Urban income inequality in China revisited (1988-2002)," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 93(3), pages 354-359, December.
- Sylvie Demurger & Martin Fournier & Shi Li, 2006. "Urban income inequality in China revisited, 1988-2002," Post-Print halshs-00372106, HAL.
- Tschangho John Kim & Gerrit Knaap, 2001. "The spatial dispersion of economic activities and development trends in China: 1952-1985," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 35(1), pages 39-57.
- Maria Abreu & Henri L.F. de Groot & Raymond J.G.M. Florax, 2004. "Space and Growth," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 04-129/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Canfei He, 2003.
"Location of foreign manufacturers in China: Agglomeration economies and country of origin effects,"
Papers in Regional Science,
Springer, vol. 82(3), pages 351-372, September.
- Canfei He, 2003. "Location of foreign manufacturers in China: Agglomeration economies and country of origin effects," Economics of Governance, Springer, vol. 82(3), pages 351-372, September.
- Sergio Rey & Brett Montouri, 1999. "US Regional Income Convergence: A Spatial Econometric Perspective," Regional Studies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 33(2), pages 143-156.
- Mark V. Janikas & Sergio J. Rey, 2005. "Spatial Clustering, Inequality and Income Convergence," Urban/Regional 0501002, EconWPA.
- Xavier Gabaix & Rustam Ibragimov, 2006. "Log(Rank-1/2): A Simple Way to Improve the OLS Estimation of Tail Exponents," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 2106, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Catin, Maurice & Luo, Xubei & Van Huffel, Christophe, 2005. "Openness, industrialization, and geographic concentration of activities in China," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3706, The World Bank.
- Zhang, Kevin Honglin & Song, Shunfeng, 2003. "Rural-urban migration and urbanization in China: Evidence from time-series and cross-section analyses," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 386-400.
- Fujita, Masahisa & Mori, Tomoya & Henderson, J. Vernon & Kanemoto, Yoshitsugu, 2004. "Spatial distribution of economic activities in Japan and China," Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics, in: J. V. Henderson & J. F. Thisse (ed.), Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 65, pages 2911-2977 Elsevier.
- Kanbur, Ravi & Zhang, Xiaobo, 1999. "Which Regional Inequality? The Evolution of Rural-Urban and Inland-Coastal Inequality in China from 1983 to 1995," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 686-701, December.
- Anderson, Gordon & Ge, Ying, 2005. "The size distribution of Chinese cities," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 756-776, November.
- Fan, C Cindy & Casetti, Emilio, 1994. "The Spatial and Temporal Dynamics of U.S. Regional Income Inequality, 1950-1989," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 28(2), pages 177-96.
- Xavier Gabaix & Rustam Ibragimov, 2007. "Rank-1/2: A Simple Way to Improve the OLS Estimation of Tail Exponents," NBER Technical Working Papers 0342, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christophe Van Huffel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.