Une Analyse Exploratoire Des Disparités Régionales Dans L'Europe Élargie
AbstractThe aim of this paper is to study the regional inequalities in the enlarged European Union using Exploratory Spatial Data Analysis applied to per capita GDP for 258 European regions over the period 1995-2000. Strong evidence in favor of global and local autocorrelation as well as spatial heterogeneity is found for the wealth distribution. We also show that the enlargement process leads to a new North-West/East polarization scheme instead of the previous results obtained in the literature highlighting a North/South polarization scheme. Implications for regional development and cohesion policies are finally explored.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Region et Developpement, LEAD, Universite du Sud - Toulon Var in its journal Region et Developpement.
Volume (Year): 21 (2005)
Issue (Month): ()
POLITIQUE RÉGIONALE; ANALYSE EXPLORATOIRE DES DONNÉES GÉO-RÉFÉRENCÉES; DISPARITÉS RÉGIONALES; AUTOCORRÉLATION SPATIALE; HÉTÉROGENEITÉ SPATIALE.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O18 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Urban, Rural, Regional, and Transportation Analysis; Housing; Infrastructure
- O47 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Measurement of Economic Growth; Aggregate Productivity; Cross-Country Output Convergence
- O52 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Europe
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
- R12 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Size and Spatial Distributions of Regional Economic Activity; Interregional Trade (economic geography)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Stéphane VIROL (IERSO-IFReDE-GRES), 2006. "Three dimensions of regional integration process in Europe: an approach by spatial econometrics (In French)," Cahiers du GRES 2006-16, Groupement de Recherches Economiques et Sociales.
- Alexandra SCHAFFAR, 2008. "Regional Income Inequality And Urbanisation Trends In China: 1978-2005," Region et Developpement, Region et Developpement, LEAD, Universite du Sud - Toulon Var, vol. 28, pages 87-110.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christophe Van Huffel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.