Location of foreign manufacturers in China: Agglomeration economies and country of origin effects
AbstractUsing data from China, this article finds that agglomeration economies derived from the clustering of manufacturing and foreign investment activities, combined with better access to markets, influence the location of foreign manufacturers. Foreign enterprises are attracted to cities with investment incentives, but they avoid high labour cost locations. The locational patterns also suggest country of origin effects. American, Hong Kong and Taiwanese manufacturers tend to value access to domestic markets, while Japanese investors favour port cities. Further analysis indicates the presence of origin of country effects at the sectoral level. Copyright Springer-Verlag Berlin/Heidelberg 2003
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Papers in Regional Science.
Volume (Year): 82 (2003)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/10110/index.htm
Other versions of this item:
- Canfei He, 2003. "Location of foreign manufacturers in China: Agglomeration economies and country of origin effects," Economics of Governance, Springer, vol. 82(3), pages 351-372, September.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Maurice Catin & Christophe Van huffel, 2004. "Ouverture économique et inégalités régionales de développement en Chine : le rôle des institutions," Mondes en développement, De Boeck Université, vol. 128(4), pages 7-23.
- Veale, Roberta & Quester, Pascale, 2009. "Do consumer expectations match experience? Predicting the influence of price and country of origin on perceptions of product quality," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 134-144, April.
- Anthony Chin & Hong Junjie, 2005.
"The Location Decisions of Foreign Logistics Firms in China : Does Transport Network Capacity Matter?,"
Trade Working Papers
22568, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Anthony Chin & Hong Junjie, 2005. "The Location Decisions of Foreign Logistics Firms in China: Does Transport Network Capacity Matter?," SCAPE Policy Research Working Paper Series 0509, National University of Singapore, Department of Economics, SCAPE.
- Chen, George Shih-Ku, 2009.
"Determinants of Taiwanese investment in China: An agglomeration economies-based perspective,"
13894, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- George Shih-Ku Chen, 2009. "Determinants Of Taiwanese Investment In China: An Agglomeration Economies-Based Perspective," Monash Economics Working Papers 01-09, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Alexandra SCHAFFAR, 2008. "Regional Income Inequality And Urbanisation Trends In China: 1978-2005," Region et Developpement, Region et Developpement, LEAD, Universite du Sud - Toulon Var, vol. 28, pages 87-110.
- Chun Yang & Haifeng Liao, 2010. "Industrial agglomeration of Hong Kong and Taiwanese manufacturing investment in China: a town-level analysis in Dongguan," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 45(3), pages 487-517, December.
- Catin, Maurice & Luo, Xubei & Van Huffel, Christophe, 2005. "Openness, industrialization, and geographic concentration of activities in China," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3706, The World Bank.
- Chen, George Shih-Ku, 2009. "Agglomeration economies and the location of Taiwanese investment in China," MPRA Paper 13896, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hong, Junjie, 2007. "Transport and the location of foreign logistics firms: The Chinese experience," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 41(6), pages 597-609, July.
- Hong, Junjie & CHIN, Anthony T.H., 2007. "Modeling the location choices of foreign investments in Chinese logistics industry," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 425-437.
- Suminori Tokunaga & Shaosheng Jin, 2011. "Market potential, agglomeration and location of Japanese manufacturers in China," Letters in Spatial and Resource Sciences, Springer, vol. 4(1), pages 9-19, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.