Assessing the Currency Crises in Turkey
AbstractThis study presents the significance of the currency crises, discusses the related literature and applies a model of economic vulnerability to Turkey during 1985Q2-2004Q2. The common approach in currency crisis literature is to focus on the performance of thresholds for a set of early warning indicators. Following the explanation of “Index of Speculative Pressure” (ISP), Granger causes of the ISP is discussed. The study shows that, current account/ GDP ratio, M2/international reserves ratio, real credit growth and current account/foreign direct investment ratio are Granger causes of the ISP at 1% level. Then by using Vector Auto Regression (VAR) model, the ISP index is forecasted. The study shows that the combination of VAR(1)+VAR(2)+VAR(5) models generate relatively better forecast values than all other single models. Finally the study estimates dynamic probit and logit models by using maximum likelihood to predict currency crises. It shows that logit model gives a better performance than the probit, for a better prediction of the probabilities of the Turkish currency crises. The most important contribution of this study is to show that the logit model has a very high performance in the prediction of Turkish currency crises. It can be used to foresee forthcoming currency crises. Also the forecast of the ISP (as a level) is giving very successful results. It is observed that the ISP and forecasted ISP values are almost moving together or very close to each other.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey in its journal Central Bank Review.
Volume (Year): 6 (2006)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Head Office, Istiklal Cad. 10 Ulus, 06100 Ankara
Phone: (90 312) 507 5000
Fax: (90 312) 507 5640
Web page: http://www.tcmb.gov.tr/
More information through EDIRC
Currency Crises; Speculative Pressure; Exchange Rates; Financial Crises;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C25 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Discrete Regression and Qualitative Choice Models; Discrete Regressors; Proportions
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
- F3 - International Economics - - International Finance
- F47 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Forecasting and Simulation: Models and Applications
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eichengreen, Barry, 2002. "Financial Crises and What to Do About Them," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199257447.
- Clive Granger & Yongil Jeon, 2004. "Forecasting Performance of Information Criteria with Many Macro Series," Journal of Applied Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(10), pages 1227-1240.
- Kumar, Mohan & Moorthy, Uma & Perraudin, William, 2003.
"Predicting emerging market currency crashes,"
Journal of Empirical Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 427-454, September.
- Graciela Laura Kaminsky, 1997.
"Leading Indicators of Currency Crises,"
IMF Working Papers
97/79, International Monetary Fund.
- Kaminsky, Graciela & Lizondo, Saul & Reinhart, Carmen M., 1997. "Leading indicators of currency crises," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1852, The World Bank.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela & Lizondo, Saul, 1998. "Leading Indicators of Currency Crises," MPRA Paper 6981, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Toda, Hiro Y. & Yamamoto, Taku, 1995. "Statistical inference in vector autoregressions with possibly integrated processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1-2), pages 225-250.
- Hafer, R. W. & Sheehan, Richard G., 1989. "The sensitivity of VAR forecasts to alternative lag structures," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 399-408.
- Giancarlo Corsetti & Paolo Pesenti & Nouriel Roubini, 2002.
"The Role of Large Players in Currency Crises,"
in: Preventing Currency Crises in Emerging Markets, pages 197-268
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sims, Christopher A & Stock, James H & Watson, Mark W, 1990. "Inference in Linear Time Series Models with Some Unit Roots," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(1), pages 113-44, January.
- Ari, Ali & Dagtekin, Rustem, 2007. "Early Warning Signals of the 2000/2001 Turkish Financial Crisis," MPRA Paper 25857, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ali ARI, 2009. "An Early Warning Signals Approach to the Currency Crises: The Turkish Case," 2009 Meeting Papers 1045, Society for Economic Dynamics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gulhanim Kayatas).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.