Critic power or star power? The influence of hallmarks of quality of motion pictures: an experimental approach
AbstractNo abstract is available for this item.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Cultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 35 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100284
Motion pictures; Star power; Critics; M31;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- M31 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Marketing and Advertising - - - Marketing
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christian Jansen, 2005. "The Performance of German Motion Pictures, Profits and Subsidies: Some Empirical Evidence," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 29(3), pages 191-212, August.
- Ramya Neelamegham & Pradeep Chintagunta, 1999. "A Bayesian Model to Forecast New Product Performance in Domestic and International Markets," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 18(2), pages 115-136.
- David A. Reinstein & Christopher M. Snyder, 2005. "THE INFLUENCE OF EXPERT REVIEWS ON CONSUMER DEMAND FOR EXPERIENCE GOODS: A CASE STUDY OF MOVIE CRITICS -super-* ," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(1), pages 27-51, 03.
- De Vany, Arthur S. & Walls, W. David, 2004. "Motion picture profit, the stable Paretian hypothesis, and the curse of the superstar," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 1035-1057, March.
- Caroline Elliott & Rob Simmons, 2008. "Determinants of UK Box Office Success: The Impact of Quality Signals," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 33(2), pages 93-111, September.
- Collins, A. & Hand, C. & Snell, M.C., 2001.
"What Makes a Blockbuster? Economic Analysis of Film Success in the United Kingdom,"
137, Portsmouth University - Department of Economics.
- Alan Collins & Chris Hand & Martin C. Snell, 2002. "What makes a blockbuster? Economic analysis of film success in the United Kingdom," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(6), pages 343-354.
- Bolton, Ruth N & Drew, James H, 1991. " A Multistage Model of Customers' Assessments of Service Quality and Value," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 17(4), pages 375-84, March.
- Calder, Bobby J & Phillips, Lynn W & Tybout, Alice M, 1981. " Designing Research for Application," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 8(2), pages 197-207, September.
- W David Walls, 2004.
"Modeling movie success when "nobody knows anything": Conditional stable distribution analysis of film returns,"
Econometric Society 2004 Far Eastern Meetings
409, Econometric Society.
- W. Walls, 2005. "Modeling Movie Success When ‘Nobody Knows Anything’: Conditional Stable-Distribution Analysis Of Film Returns," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 29(3), pages 177-190, August.
- Jehoshua Eliashberg & Mohanbir S. Sawhney, 1994. "Modeling Goes to Hollywood: Predicting Individual Differences in Movie Enjoyment," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 40(9), pages 1151-1173, September.
- Alan Collins & Chris Hand, 2005. "Analyzing moviegoing demand: an individual-level cross-sectional approach," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 26(5), pages 319-330.
- Eva Deuchert & Kossi Adjamah & Florian Pauly, 2005. "For Oscar Glory Or Oscar Money?," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 29(3), pages 159-176, August.
- Daniel S. Putler & Shilpa Lele, 2003. "An Easily Implemented Framework for Forecasting Ticket Sales to Performing Arts Events," Marketing Letters, Springer, vol. 14(4), pages 307-320, December.
- Ravid, S Abraham, 1999. "Information, Blockbusters, and Stars: A Study of the Film Industry," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 72(4), pages 463-92, October.
- Tversky, Amos & Kahneman, Daniel, 1991. "Loss Aversion in Riskless Choice: A Reference-Dependent Model," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 106(4), pages 1039-61, November.
- Sanjeev Swami & Jehoshua Eliashberg & Charles B. Weinberg, 1999. "SilverScreener: A Modeling Approach to Movie Screens Management," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 18(3), pages 352-372.
- Jehoshua Eliashberg & Jedid-Jah Jonker & Mohanbir S. Sawhney & Berend Wierenga, 2000. "MOVIEMOD: An Implementable Decision-Support System for Prerelease Market Evaluation of Motion Pictures," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 19(3), pages 226-243, January.
- Kahneman, Daniel & Tversky, Amos, 1979.
"Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(2), pages 263-91, March.
- Amos Tversky & Daniel Kahneman, 1979. "Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk," Levine's Working Paper Archive 7656, David K. Levine.
- Alan Collins & Chris Hand & Andrew Ryder, 2005. "The lure of the multiplex? The interplay of time, distance, and cinema attendance," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 37(3), pages 483-501, March.
- Stefan Tobias, 2004. "Quality in the Performing Arts: Aggregating and Rationalizing Expert Opinion," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 28(2), pages 109-124, May.
- W. Walls, 2009. "Screen wars, star wars, and sequels," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 37(2), pages 447-461, October.
- Bone, Paula Fitzgerald, 1995. "Word-of-mouth effects on short-term and long-term product judgments," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 213-223, March.
- Arthur De Vany & W. Walls, 1999. "Uncertainty in the Movie Industry: Does Star Power Reduce the Terror of the Box Office?," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 23(4), pages 285-318, November.
- West, Patricia M & Broniarczyk, Susan M, 1998. " Integrating Multiple Opinions: The Role of Aspiration Level on Consumer Response to Critic Consensus," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 25(1), pages 38-51, June.
- Steven Albert, 1998. "Movie Stars and the Distribution of Financially Successful Films in the Motion Picture Industry," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 22(4), pages 249-270, December.
- Holbrook, Morris B, 1999. " Popular Appeal versus Expert Judgments of Motion Pictures," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 26(2), pages 144-55, September.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1981. "The Economics of Superstars," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(5), pages 845-58, December.
- M. Bagella & L. Becchetti, 1999. "The Determinants of Motion Picture Box Office Performance: Evidence from Movies Produced in Italy," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 23(4), pages 237-256, November.
- Jose Ignacio Azuela Flores & Victor Fernandez-Blanco & Maria Jose Sanzo-Perez, 2012. "Movie reviews: Who are the readers?," ACEI Working Paper Series AWP-03-2012, the Association for Cultural Economics International, revised May 2012.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.