Movie reviews: Who are the readers?
AbstractThe analysis of the relationship between movie reviews and consumer's decision process has focused mainly on the side of critics, who have been defined as "influencers" or as "predictors" (Eliashberg & Shugan, 1997). Also, new ways to measure the impact of the critic have been introduced (Gemser, van Oostrum & Leenders, 2007) and the consistency of their opinions over time has been proved (Ginsburgh & Weyers, 1999). However, there is scarce evidence about the readers of movie reviews: who are they and what is their profile. The objective of this paper is to fill this gap. Using information of Spanish consumers, we estimate a nested logit model that identifies movie review readers. The preliminary results suggest that movie review readers are mainly employed young women without family responsibilities
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by the Association for Cultural Economics International in its series ACEI Working Paper Series with number AWP-03-2012.
Length: 23 pages
Date of creation: May 2012
Date of revision: May 2012
critics; movie reviews; critic readers; influenced; predicted;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Z11 - Other Special Topics - - Cultural Economics - - - Economics of the Arts and Literature
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-06-05 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Throsby, 1999. "Cultural Capital," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 23(1), pages 3-12, March.
- Gary S. Becker, 1975. "Human Capital: A Theoretical and Empirical Analysis, with Special Reference to Education, 2nd ed," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number beck75-1, September.
- S. Ravid & John Wald & Suman Basuroy, 2006. "Distributors and film critics: does it take two to Tango?," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 30(3), pages 201-218, December.
- Louis Lévy-Garboua & Claude Montmarquette, 1996. "A microeconometric study of theatre demand," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 20(1), pages 25-50, March.
- David A. Reinstein & Christopher M. Snyder, 2005. "THE INFLUENCE OF EXPERT REVIEWS ON CONSUMER DEMAND FOR EXPERIENCE GOODS: A CASE STUDY OF MOVIE CRITICS -super-* ," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(1), pages 27-51, 03.
- Victor Ginsburgh & Sheila Weyers, 1999.
"On the Perceived Quality of Movies,"
Journal of Cultural Economics,
Springer, vol. 23(4), pages 269-283, November.
- Gerda Gemser & Martine Oostrum & Mark Leenders, 2007. "The impact of film reviews on the box office performance of art house versus mainstream motion pictures," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 31(1), pages 43-63, March.
- Peter Boatwright & Suman Basuroy & Wagner Kamakura, 2007. "Reviewing the reviewers: The impact of individual film critics on box office performance," Quantitative Marketing and Economics, Springer, vol. 5(4), pages 401-425, December.
- Ana Suárez-Vázquez, 2011. "Critic power or star power? The influence of hallmarks of quality of motion pictures: an experimental approach," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 35(2), pages 119-135, May.
- Stigler, George J & Becker, Gary S, 1977. "De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(2), pages 76-90, March.
- Ravid, S Abraham, 1999. "Information, Blockbusters, and Stars: A Study of the Film Industry," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 72(4), pages 463-92, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Juan Prieto-Rodriguez).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.