Unemployment insurance and the business cycle
AbstractAn equilibrium model is developed to study the interaction of the business cycle, unemployment insurance (UI), and the labor market for young men in Canada. The model combines optimal job offer, layoff, and recall decisions within a numerically solved and restricted Bayesian-Nash equilibrium. We consider the long-run implications of changes made to unemployment insurance in Canada during the 1990s. The changes lead to equilibrium increases in average rates of unemployment, layoffs, and recalls. Eliminating UI lowers the equilibrium unemployment rate and average observed earnings. UI policy affects the timing of cycles of endogenous outcomes relative to the productivity cycle. Copyright 2003 By The Economics Department Of The University Of Pennsylvania And Osaka University Institute Of Social And Economic Research Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association in its journal International Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 44 (2003)
Issue (Month): 3 (08)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 160 McNeil Building, 3718 Locust Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104-6297
Phone: (215) 898-8487
Fax: (215) 573-2057
Web page: http://www.econ.upenn.edu/ier
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Miquel Faig & Min Zhang, 2010.
"Labor Market Cycles and Unemployment Insurance Eligibility,"
tecipa-404, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Miquel Faig, 2008. "Labor Market Cycles and Unemployment Insurance Eligibility," 2008 Meeting Papers 183, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Rodrigo Cerda & Rodrigo Vergara, 2005.
"Unemployment Insurance in Chile: Does it Stabilize the Business Cycle?,"
Documentos de Trabajo
302, Instituto de Economia. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile..
- Cerda, Rodrigo & Vergara, Rodrigo, 2007. "Unemployment insurance in Chile: Does it stabilize the business cycle?," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 473-488.
- Rodrigo Cerda & Rodrigo Vergara, 2006. "Unemployment Insurance in Chile: Does it Stabilize the Business Cycle?," Working Papers 17, Superintendencia de Pensiones, revised May 2007.
- Miquel Faig & Min Zhang, 2012.
"Labor Market Cycles, Unemployment Insurance Eligibility, and Moral Hazard,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 15(1), pages 41-56, January.
- Miquel Faig & Min Zhang, 2011. "Code files for " Labor Market Cycles, Unemployment Insurance Eligibility, and Moral Hazard Corresponding"," Computer Codes 10-112, Review of Economic Dynamics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.