Dynamische Arbeitsnachfrage und asymmetrisches Anpassungsverhalten in der Bundesrepublik Deutschland : eine Untersuchung mit Daten aus dem IAB-Betriebspanel (Dynamic labour demand and asymmetrical adjustment behaviour in the Federal Republic of Germany : a study using data from the IAB establishment panel)
Abstract"This report contains estimates of the dynamic labour demand in the Federal Republic of Germany which were carried out using data from the IAB establishment panel for the old Länder (former West Germany) from the years 1993 to 1996. First of all a theoretical model is developed which also permits the possibilities of asymmetrical costs in the adjustment of labour demand. In addition it is possible, due to the panel structure of the data record, to obtain information on enterprise-specific heterogeneities and serial correlation between the individual variables. With estimates of this model using the general method of moments, indications come to light of different cost structures for recruitments and dismissals. According to this, recruitments cause less expense than the same amount of dismissals. The period needed for the adjustment of labour demand corresponds to the results obtained from other studies, whereas the wage and demand elasticities determined are lower than in other studies." (Author's abstract, IAB-Doku) ((en))
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany] in its journal Mitteilungen aus der Arbeitsmarkt– und Berufsforschung.
Volume (Year): 31 (1998)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Arbeitskräftenachfrage - Entwicklung; IAB-Betriebspanel; Personalanpassung; Arbeitskräftenachfrage - Modell; Nachfragefunktion; Westdeutschland; Bundesrepublik Deutschland;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arellano, Manuel & Bond, Stephen, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 277-97, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Haskel, Jonathan & Kersley, Barbara & Martin, Christopher, 1997. "Labour Market Flexibility and Employment Adjustment: Micro Evidence from UK Establishments," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 49(3), pages 362-79, July.
- Wadhwani, Sushil & Wall, Martin, 1990.
"The Effects of Profit-Sharing on Employment, Wages, Stock Returns and Productivity: Evidence from UK Micro-data,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 100(399), pages 1-17, March.
- Wadhwani, S. & Wall, M., 1988. "The Effects Of Profit-Sharing On Employment, Wages, Stock Returns And Productivity: Evidence From Uk Micro-Data," Papers 311, London School of Economics - Centre for Labour Economics.
- Pfann, Gerard A. & Verspagen, Bart, 1989.
"The structure of adjustment costs for labour in the Dutch manufacturing sector,"
Open Access publications from Maastricht University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-18006, Maastricht University.
- Pfann, Gerald A. & Verspagen, Bart, 1989. "The structure of adjustment costs for labour in the Dutch manufacturing sector," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 365-371.
- Burgess, Simon M, 1988. "Employment Adjustment in UK Manufacturing," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 98(389), pages 81-103, March.
- Sargent, Thomas J, 1978.
"Estimation of Dynamic Labor Demand Schedules under Rational Expectations,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(6), pages 1009-44, December.
- Thomas J. Sargent, 1978. "Estimation of dynamic labor demand schedules under rational expectations," Staff Report 27, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Van Reenen, John, 1997. "Employment and Technological Innovation: Evidence from U.K. Manufacturing Firms," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 15(2), pages 255-84, April.
- Jaramillo, F. & Schiantarelli, F. & Sembenelli, A., 1992.
"Are Adjustment Costs for Labor Asymetric? An Econometric Test On Panel Data for Italy,"
92-13, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Jaramillo, Fidel & Schiantarelli, Fabio & Sembenelli, Alessandro, 1993. "Are Adjustment Costs for Labor Asymmetric? An Econometric Test on Panel Data for Italy," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(4), pages 640-48, November.
- Fidel Jaramillo & Fabio Schiantarelli & Alessandro Sembenelli, 1991. "Are Adjustment Costs for Labor Asymmetric? An Econometric Test on Panel Data for Italy," Papers 0021, Boston University - Industry Studies Programme.
- Chang, Ching-Cheng & Stefanou, Spiro E., 1988. "Specification and estimation of asymmetric adjustment rates for quasi-fixed factors of production," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 145-151, March.
- Pfeiffer, Friedhelm, 1997. "Human capital and innovation in East and West German manufacturing firms," ZEW Discussion Papers 97-08, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Palm, Franz C & Peeters, H M M & Pfann, G A, 1993.
"Adjustment Costs and Time-to-Build in Factor Demand in the U.S. Manufacturing Industry,"
Springer, vol. 18(4), pages 639-71.
- Palm, Franz C. & Peeters, H.M.M. & Pfann, G.A., 1993. "Adjustment costs and time-to-build in factor demand in the U.S. manufacturing industry," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-6030, Maastricht University.
- Daniel S. Hamermesh, 1988.
"Labor Demand and the Structure of Adjustment Costs,"
NBER Working Papers
2572, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hamermesh, Daniel S, 1989. "Labor Demand and the Structure of Adjustment Costs," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(4), pages 674-89, September.
- Anderson, T. W. & Hsiao, Cheng, 1982. "Formulation and estimation of dynamic models using panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 47-82, January.
- Hamermesh, Daniel S, 1992.
"A General Model of Dynamic Labor Demand,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 74(4), pages 733-37, November.
- Anderson, Patricia M, 1993. "Linear Adjustment Costs and Seasonal Labor Demand: Evidence from Retail Trade Firms," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 108(4), pages 1015-42, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (IAB, Geschäftsbereich Dokumentation und Bibliothek).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.