Are Adjustment Costs for Labor Asymmetric? An Econometric Test on Panel Data for Italy
AbstractIn this paper we analyze the structure of adjustment costs for labor. In particular, the question whether hiring and firing costs are asymmetric is addressed. We maintain the standard assumption of quadratic adjustment costs, but allow the multiplicative coefficient to differ for the firing and hiring regime. The Euler equations for this problem can be combined into a general model that nests the one with symmetric adjustment costs. The model can be conveniently estimated and the parameter restrictions implied by symmetry easily tested. We also extend the model to allow for variable adjustment coefficients. In the empirical application we use a panel data collected by Ceris on 52 large Italian firms for the period 1958-1988. The general conclusion from the econometric testing is that the hypothesis of symmetric adjustment costs is rejected by the data. Copyright 1993 by MIT Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Review of Economics & Statistics.
Volume (Year): 75 (1993)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
Other versions of this item:
- Fidel Jaramillo & Fabio Schiantarelli & Alessandro Sembenelli, 1991. "Are Adjustment Costs for Labor Asymmetric? An Econometric Test on Panel Data for Italy," Papers 0021, Boston University - Industry Studies Programme.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dominique Goux & Eric Maurin & Marianne Pauchet, 1999.
"Fixed-term Contracts and the Dynamics of Labour Demand,"
99-02, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Goux, Dominique & Maurin, Eric & Pauchet, Marianne, 2001. "Fixed-term contracts and the dynamics of labour demand," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 533-552, March.
- Bottasso, Anna & Sembenelli, Alessandro, 2001. "Market power, productivity and the EU Single Market Program: Evidence from a panel of Italian firms," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 167-186, January.
- Alfonso Arpaia & Esther PÃ©rez & Karl Pichelmann, 2009.
"Understanding Labour Income Share Dynamics in Europe,"
European Economy - Economic Papers
379, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Arpaia, Alfonso & Pérez, Esther & Pichelmann, Karl, 2009. "Understanding labour income share dynamics in Europe," MPRA Paper 15649, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Eslava, Marcela & Haltiwanger, John C. & Kugler, Adriana & Kugler, Maurice, 2005.
"Factor Adjustments after Deregulation: Panel Evidence from Colombian Plants,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1751, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Marcela Eslava & John Haltiwanger & Adriana Kugler & Maurice Kugler, 2010. "Factor Adjustments after Deregulation: Panel Evidence from Colombian Plants," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 92(2), pages 378-391, May.
- Eslava, Marcela & Haltiwanger Jr, John C & Kugler, Adriana D. & Kugler, Maurice, 2005. "Factor Adjustments after Deregulation: Panel Evidence from Colombian Plants," CEPR Discussion Papers 5267, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- M. Eslava, J. Haltwanger, A. Kugler, M. Kugler, 2008. "Factor Adjustments After Deregulation: Panel Evidence from Colombian Plants," Working Papers eg0059, Wilfrid Laurier University, Department of Economics, revised 2008.
- Marcela Eslava & John Haltiwanger & Adriana Kugler & Maurice Kugler, 2005. "Factor Adjustments After Deregulation: Panel Evidence from Colombian Plants," NBER Working Papers 11656, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Feve, Patrick, 2002. "Solving labor demand models under asymmetric adjustment costs," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 797-809, May.
- Kenji Azetsu & Mototsugu Fukushige, 2005.
"The Estimation of Asymmetric Adjustment Costs for the Number of Workers and Working Hours |Empirical Evidence from Japanese Industry Data,"
Discussion Papers in Economics and Business
05-18, Osaka University, Graduate School of Economics and Osaka School of International Public Policy (OSIPP).
- Kenji Azetsu & Mototsugu Fukushige, 2009. "The estimation of asymmetric adjustment costs for the number of workers and working hours - empirical evidence from Japanese industry data," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(10), pages 995-998.
- Francine Lafontaine & Jagadeesh Sivadasan, 2009. "Do Labor Market Rigidities Have Microeconomic Effects? Evidence from within the Firm," American Economic Journal: Applied Economics, American Economic Association, vol. 1(2), pages 88-127, April.
- Zuzana Janko, 2008. "Nominal Wage Contracts, Labor Adjustment Costs and the Business Cycle," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 11(2), pages 434-448, April.
- Lucia Foster, 1999. "Employment Adjustment Costs and Establishment Characteristics," Working Papers 99-15, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- repec:iab:iabmit:v:31:i:4:p:637-647 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kenji Azetsu & Mototsugu Fukushige, 2005. "Job Security Laws and Structural Change in the Japanese Labor Market," Discussion Papers in Economics and Business 05-31, Osaka University, Graduate School of Economics and Osaka School of International Public Policy (OSIPP).
- Palm, Franz C. & Pfann, Gerard A., 1998. "Sources of asymmetry in production factor dynamics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 82(2), pages 361-392, February.
- Jung, Sven, 2012. "Employment adjustment in German firms," Discussion Papers 80, Friedrich-Alexander-University Erlangen-Nuremberg, Chair of Labour and Regional Economics.
- Kölling, Arnd, 1998. "Dynamische Arbeitsnachfrage und asymmetrisches Anpassungsverhalten in der Bundesrepublik Deutschland : eine Untersuchung mit Daten aus dem IAB-Betriebspanel (Dynamic labour demand and asymmetrical adj," Mitteilungen aus der Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany], vol. 31(4), pages 637-647.
- Jung, Sven, 2013. "Employment Adjustment in German Firms," Annual Conference 2013 (Duesseldorf): Competition Policy and Regulation in a Global Economic Order 79696, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.