The costs of hiring skilled workers
AbstractThis paper analyzes the structure of hiring costs for skilled workers. We use novel Swiss administrative firm-level survey data that provide direct and detailed measures of hiring costs, including recruitment and adaptation. Results show that average hiring costs range, depending on firm size, from 10 to 17weeks of wage payments. The structure of hiring costs is convex. Marginal hiring costs increase with the number of hires and reach up to 24weeks of wage payments. We find no evidence for a fixed cost component. Hiring costs also increase with the hiring rate (the ratio of hires and skilled workers), confirming convexity. Hiring costs generally increase with skill requirements for job applicants, and depend on macroeconomic conditions: a 1% point increase in the unemployment rate reduces average hiring costs by more than 5%.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal European Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 56 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eer
Hiring costs; Labor adjustment costs;
Other versions of this item:
- J32 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Nonwage Labor Costs and Benefits; Retirement Plans; Private Pensions
- J63 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Turnover; Vacancies; Layoffs
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Yokota, Koji, 2012. "Time Discount and Convex Hiring Cost," ãã¸ãã¹åµé ã»ã³ã¿ã¼ãã£ã¹ã«ãã·ã§ã³ã»ãã¼ãã¼ (Discussion papers of the Center for Business Creation) 10252/4850, Otaru University of Commerce.
- Hirokazu Mizobata, 2014. "Differing factor adjustment costs across industries: Evidence from Japan," KIER Working Papers 885, Kyoto University, Institute of Economic Research.
- Mühlemann, Samuel & Wolter, Stefan C. & Wüest, Adrian, 2009. "Apprenticeship Training and the Business Cycle," IZA Discussion Papers 4460, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Lommerud, Kjell Erik & Straume, Odd Rune & Vagstad, Steinar, 2012.
"Employment protection and unemployment benefits: on technology adoption and job creation in a matching model,"
Working Papers in Economics
18/12, University of Bergen, Department of Economics.
- Kjell Erik Lommerud & Odd Rune Straume & Steinar Vagstad, 2012. "Employment protection and unemployment benefits: On technology adoption and job creation in a matching model," NIPE Working Papers 3/2012, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Manning, Alan, 2011.
"Imperfect Competition in the Labor Market,"
Handbook of Labor Economics,
- Christian Holzner & Mario Larch, 2011. "Capacity Constraining Labor Market Frictions in a Global Economy," CESifo Working Paper Series 3597, CESifo Group Munich.
- Stadin, Karolina, 2012. "Vacancy Matching and Labor Market Conditions," Working Paper Series 2012:16, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Mühlemann, Samuel & Pfeifer, Harald, 2013.
"The Structure of Hiring Costs in Germany: Evidence from Firm-Level Data,"
IZA Discussion Papers
7656, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Samuel Muehlemann & Harald Pfeifer, 2012. "The structure of hiring costs in Germany - evidence from firm-level data," Economics of Education Working Paper Series 0077, University of Zurich, Institute for Strategy and Business Economics (ISU), revised Sep 2013.
- Blatter, Marc & Mühlemann, Samuel & Schenker, Samuel & Wolter, Stefan C., 2012. "Hiring Costs of Skilled Workers and the Supply of Firm-Provided Training," IZA Discussion Papers 6344, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Samuel Muehlemann & Harald Pfeifer & Felix Wenzelmann, 2013. "The Costs of Recruiting Apprentices: Evidence from German Firm-Level Data," Economics of Education Working Paper Series 0095, University of Zurich, Institute for Strategy and Business Economics (ISU).
- Silvio Sticher, 2013. "Selection upon Wage Posting," Diskussionsschriften dp1311, Universitaet Bern, Departement Volkswirtschaft.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.