Adjustment Costs and Time-to-Build in Factor Demand in the U.S. Manufacturing Industry
AbstractIn order to explain cyclical behavior of factor demand, the static neoclassical model of the firm has been extended to include either adjustment costs (e.g. Lucas (1967) or time-to-build considerations in Kydland and Prescott (1982). This paper presents an intertemporal factor demand model which accounts for adjustment costs and gestation lags. The closed form solution of the model is a highly restricted vector ARMA-process that is estimated using quarterly data for the manufacturing industry in the U.S., 1960-1988. The main conclusion is that both sources of dynamics of factor demand are identifiable and found to be empirically of importance.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Empirical Economics.
Volume (Year): 18 (1993)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Stumpergasse 56, A-1060 Vienna
Phone: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 0
Fax: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 555
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00181/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jonathan N. Millar & Stephen D. Oliner & Daniel E. Sichel, 2012.
"Time-to plan lags for commercial construction projects,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
2012-34, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Jonathan N. Millar & Stephen D. Oliner & Daniel E. Sichel, 2013. "Time-To-Plan Lags for Commercial Construction Projects," NBER Working Papers 19408, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stephen D. Oliner & Jonathan N. Millar & Daniel E. Sichel, 2012. "Time-to-plan lags for commercial construction projects," Working Papers 36393, American Enterprise Institute.
- Tsoukalas, John D., 2011.
"Time to build capital: Revisiting investment-cash-flow sensitivities,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 35(7), pages 1000-1016, July.
- Tsoukalas, John, 2009. "Time to Build Capital: Revisiting Investment-Cash Flow Sensitivities," MPRA Paper 18640, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tsoukalas, John, 2009. "Time to Build Capital: Revisiting Investment-Cash Flow Sensitivities," MPRA Paper 25870, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- John Tsoukalas, . "Time to Build Capital: Revisiting Investment-Cashflow Sensitivities," Discussion Papers 09/05, University of Nottingham, Centre for Finance, Credit and Macroeconomics (CFCM).
- Peeters, Marga, 1998.
" Persistence, Asymmetries and Interrelation in Factor Demand,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 100(4), pages 747-64, December.
- Peeters, Marga, 1998. "Persistence, asymmetries and interrelation in factor demand," MPRA Paper 23864, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Palm, Franz C. & Peeters, Marga & Pfann, Gerard A., 1993. "The dynamics of investment and labour demand: Theoretical issues and an application to the Dutch manufacturing industry," MPRA Paper 33042, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kölling, Arnd, 1998. "Dynamische Arbeitsnachfrage und asymmetrisches Anpassungsverhalten in der Bundesrepublik Deutschland : eine Untersuchung mit Daten aus dem IAB-Betriebspanel (Dynamic labour demand and asymmetrical adj," Mitteilungen aus der Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany], vol. 31(4), pages 637-647.
- repec:iab:iabmit:v:31:i:4:p:637-647 is not listed on IDEAS
- Charles Himmelberg & Alessandra del Boca & Marzio Galeotti & Paola Rota, 2005. "Investment and Time to Plan: A Comparison of Structures vs. Equipment in a Panel of Italian Firms," Working Papers 2005.54, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.