The dynamics of investment and labour demand: Theoretical issues and an application to the Dutch manufacturing industry
AbstractLucas' (1967) adjustment costs model and Kydland and Prescott's (1982) time-to-build model induce mutually exclusive time-series properties that can be recovered from data. This paper investigates three variants of a theoretical model which give insight into the parameter restrictions implied by each of the two sources of dynamics separately. The variants, which simultaneously determine the interrelated demand for capital structures, equipment and labour, are analyzed using quarterly Dutch manufacturing data for the period 1971-1990. In a model with gestation lags, the additional dynamics induced by adjustment costs are not significant. This is not surprising since the economic interpretation of adjustment costs in addition to time-to-build is not obvious. Non-nested hyotheses tests, however, show that the two specifications imply mutually exclusieve time series properties which are statistically significant.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 33042.
Date of creation: Sep 1993
Date of revision:
time-to-build; adjustment costs; capital; labour;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D92 - Microeconomics - - Intertemporal Choice and Growth - - - Intertemporal Firm Choice and Growth, Financing, Investment, and Capacity
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kydland, Finn E & Prescott, Edward C, 1982.
"Time to Build and Aggregate Fluctuations,"
Econometric Society, vol. 50(6), pages 1345-70, November.
- Finn E. Kydland & Edward C. Prescott, 1982. "Executable program for "Time to Build and Aggregate Fluctuations"," QM&RBC Codes 4, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Finn E. Kydland & Edward C. Prescott, 1982. "Web interface for "Time to Build and Aggregate Fluctuations"," QM&RBC Codes 4a, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Palm, Franz C. & Peeters, H.M.M. & Pfann, G.A., 1993.
"Adjustment costs and time-to-build in factor demand in the U.S. manufacturing industry,"
Open Access publications from Maastricht University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-6030, Maastricht University.
- Palm, Franz C & Peeters, H M M & Pfann, G A, 1993. "Adjustment Costs and Time-to-Build in Factor Demand in the U.S. Manufacturing Industry," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 18(4), pages 639-71.
- Pesaran, M H & Deaton, Angus S, 1978. "Testing Non-Nested Nonlinear Regression Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(3), pages 677-94, May.
- Altug, Sumru, 1989.
"Time-to-Build and Aggregate Fluctuations: Some New Evidence,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 30(4), pages 889-920, November.
- Sumru Altug, 1986. "Time to build and aggregate fluctuations: some new evidence," Working Papers 277, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- van Alphen, Hendrik J & Merkies, Arnold H Q M, 1976. "Distributed Lags in Construction: An Empirical Study," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 17(2), pages 411-30, June.
- Treadway, Arthur B, 1969. "On Rational Entrepreneurial Behaviour and the Demand for Investment," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(106), pages 227-39, April.
- Nickell, Stephen, 1975. "A closer look at replacement investment," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 54-88, February.
- Victor Ginsburgh, 1973.
"A further note on the derivation of quarterly figures consistent with annual data,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/1781, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- GINSBURGH, Victor A., . "A further note on the derivation of quarterly figures consistent with annual data," CORE Discussion Papers RP -161, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Jarque, Carlos M. & Bera, Anil K., 1980. "Efficient tests for normality, homoscedasticity and serial independence of regression residuals," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 255-259.
- Peeters, Marga, 1998.
"Persistence, asymmetries and interrelation in factor demand,"
23864, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Peeters, Marga, 1998. " Persistence, Asymmetries and Interrelation in Factor Demand," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 100(4), pages 747-64, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.