Persistence, asymmetries and interrelation in factor demand
AbstractA neoclassical factor demand model for structures, equipment and labour is analyzed. It incorporates a variety of dynamic specifications, such as a multi-period time-to-build for structures, internal adjustment costs for each production factor, and external investment adjustment costs. First-order conditions of the model are estimated by the generalized method of moments using manufacturing industry data from the US, Canada, West Germany, the UK (all 1960.I-1988.IV), France (1970.I-1992.II) and the Netherlands (1971.I-1990.IV). The results endorse time-to-build for structures, persistence of technology shocks and interrelations in adjustment cost dynamics.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 23864.
Date of creation: 1998
Date of revision:
factor demand; time-to-build; adjustment costs; business cycles; general method of moments; structures; equipment; gestation; irreversibility;
Other versions of this item:
- Peeters, Marga, 1998. " Persistence, Asymmetries and Interrelation in Factor Demand," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 100(4), pages 747-64, December.
- D21 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Theory
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
- C3 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables
- D92 - Microeconomics - - Intertemporal Choice and Growth - - - Intertemporal Firm Choice and Growth, Financing, Investment, and Capacity
- J23 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Demand
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Palm, Franz C. & Peeters, Marga & Pfann, Gerard A., 1993. "The dynamics of investment and labour demand: Theoretical issues and an application to the Dutch manufacturing industry," MPRA Paper 33042, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Palm, Franz C & Peeters, H M M & Pfann, G A, 1993.
"Adjustment Costs and Time-to-Build in Factor Demand in the U.S. Manufacturing Industry,"
Springer, vol. 18(4), pages 639-71.
- Palm, Franz C. & Peeters, H.M.M. & Pfann, G.A., 1993. "Adjustment costs and time-to-build in factor demand in the U.S. manufacturing industry," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-6030, Maastricht University.
- Giuseppe Bertola & Ricardo J. Caballero, 1991.
"Irreversibility and Aggregate Investment,"
NBER Working Papers
3865, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peeters, Marga, 1996. "Investment gestation lags: The difference between time-to-build and delivery lags," MPRA Paper 28549, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-54, July.
- Thomas J. Sargent, 1978.
"Estimation of dynamic labor demand schedules under rational expectations,"
27, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Sargent, Thomas J, 1978. "Estimation of Dynamic Labor Demand Schedules under Rational Expectations," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(6), pages 1009-44, December.
- Kydland, Finn E & Prescott, Edward C, 1982.
"Time to Build and Aggregate Fluctuations,"
Econometric Society, vol. 50(6), pages 1345-70, November.
- Finn E. Kydland & Edward C. Prescott, 1982. "Web interface for "Time to Build and Aggregate Fluctuations"," QM&RBC Codes 4a, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Finn E. Kydland & Edward C. Prescott, 1982. "Executable program for "Time to Build and Aggregate Fluctuations"," QM&RBC Codes 4, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Burda, Michael C., 1991. "Monopolistic competition, costs of adjustment, and the behavior of European manufacturing employment," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 61-79, January.
- Bentolila, Samuel & Bertola, Giuseppe, 1990. "Firing Costs and Labour Demand: How Bad Is Eurosclerosis?," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(3), pages 381-402, July.
- Tauchen, George, 1986. "Statistical Properties of Generalized Method-of-Moments Estimators of Structural Parameters Obtained from Financial Market Data," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 4(4), pages 397-416, October.
- Jonathan N. Millar & Stephen D. Oliner & Daniel E. Sichel, 2013.
"Time-To-Plan Lags for Commercial Construction Projects,"
NBER Working Papers
19408, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jonathan N. Millar & Stephen D. Oliner & Daniel E. Sichel, 2012. "Time-to plan lags for commercial construction projects," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2012-34, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Stephen D. Oliner & Jonathan N. Millar & Daniel E. Sichel, 2012. "Time-to-plan lags for commercial construction projects," Working Papers 36393, American Enterprise Institute.
- Charles Himmelberg & Alessandra del Boca & Marzio Galeotti & Paola Rota, 2005. "Investment and Time to Plan: A Comparison of Structures vs. Equipment in a Panel of Italian Firms," Working Papers 2005.54, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.