Are Adjustment Costs for Labor Asymmetric? An Econometric Test on Panel Data for Italy
AbstractIn this paper we analyze the structure of adjustment costs for labor. In particular, the question whether hiring and firing costs are asymmetric is addressed. We maintain the standard assumption of quadratic adjustment costs, but allow the multiplicative coefficient to differ for the firing and hiring regime. The Euler equations for this problem can be combined into a general model that nests the one with symmetric adjustment costs. The model can be conveniently estimated and the parameter restrictions implied by symmetry easily tested. We also extend the model to allow for variable adjustment coefficients. In the empirical application we use a panel data collected by Ceris on 52 large Italian firms for the period 1958-1988. The general conclusion from the econometric testing is that the hypothesis of symmetric adjustment costs is rejected by the data. Copyright 1993 by MIT Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Boston University - Industry Studies Programme in its series Papers with number 0021.
Date of creation: Sep 1991
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Boston University, Industry Studies Program; Department of Economics, 270 Bay Road, Boston, Massachusetts 02215.
Web page: http://www.bu.edu/econ/isp/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Jaramillo, Fidel & Schiantarelli, Fabio & Sembenelli, Alessandro, 1993. "Are Adjustment Costs for Labor Asymmetric? An Econometric Test on Panel Data for Italy," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(4), pages 640-48, November.
- Jaramillo, F. & Schiantarelli, F. & Sembenelli, A., 1992. "Are Adjustment Costs for Labor Asymetric? An Econometric Test On Panel Data for Italy," Working Papers 92-13, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- M. Eslava, J. Haltwanger, A. Kugler, M. Kugler, 2008.
"Factor Adjustments After Deregulation: Panel Evidence from Colombian Plants,"
eg0059, Wilfrid Laurier University, Department of Economics, revised 2008.
- Marcela Eslava & John Haltiwanger & Adriana Kugler & Maurice Kugler, 2010. "Factor Adjustments after Deregulation: Panel Evidence from Colombian Plants," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 92(2), pages 378-391, May.
- Eslava, Marcela & Haltiwanger, John C. & Kugler, Adriana & Kugler, Maurice, 2005. "Factor Adjustments after Deregulation: Panel Evidence from Colombian Plants," IZA Discussion Papers 1751, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Marcela Eslava & John Haltiwanger & Adriana Kugler & Maurice Kugler, 2005. "Factor Adjustments After Deregulation: Panel Evidence from Colombian Plants," NBER Working Papers 11656, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eslava, Marcela & Haltiwanger Jr, John C & Kugler, Adriana D. & Kugler, Maurice, 2005. "Factor Adjustments after Deregulation: Panel Evidence from Colombian Plants," CEPR Discussion Papers 5267, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Zuzana Janko, 2008. "Nominal Wage Contracts, Labor Adjustment Costs and the Business Cycle," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 11(2), pages 434-448, April.
- Lucia Foster, 1999. "Employment Adjustment Costs and Establishment Characteristics," Working Papers 99-15, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Dominique Goux & Eric Maurin & Marianne Pauchet, 1999.
"Fixed-term Contracts and the Dynamics of Labour Demand,"
99-02, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Goux, Dominique & Maurin, Eric & Pauchet, Marianne, 2001. "Fixed-term contracts and the dynamics of labour demand," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 533-552, March.
- Arpaia, Alfonso & Pérez, Esther & Pichelmann, Karl, 2009.
"Understanding labour income share dynamics in Europe,"
15649, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Alfonso Arpaia & Esther PÃ©rez & Karl Pichelmann, 2009. "Understanding Labour Income Share Dynamics in Europe," European Economy - Economic Papers 379, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Kölling, Arnd, 1998. "Dynamische Arbeitsnachfrage und asymmetrisches Anpassungsverhalten in der Bundesrepublik Deutschland : eine Untersuchung mit Daten aus dem IAB-Betriebspanel (Dynamic labour demand and asymmetrical adj," Mitteilungen aus der Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany], vol. 31(4), pages 637-647.
- Kenji Azetsu & Mototsugu Fukushige, 2005. "Job Security Laws and Structural Change in the Japanese Labor Market," Discussion Papers in Economics and Business 05-31, Osaka University, Graduate School of Economics and Osaka School of International Public Policy (OSIPP).
- Palm, Franz C. & Pfann, Gerard A., 1998.
"Sources of asymmetry in production factor dynamics,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 82(2), pages 361-392, February.
- Palm, Franz C. & Pfann, Gerard A., 1997. "Sources of asymmetry in production factor dynamics," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-5773, Maastricht University.
- Kenji Azetsu & Mototsugu Fukushige, 2009.
"The estimation of asymmetric adjustment costs for the number of workers and working hours - empirical evidence from Japanese industry data,"
Applied Economics Letters,
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 16(10), pages 995-998.
- Kenji Azetsu & Mototsugu Fukushige, 2005. "The Estimation of Asymmetric Adjustment Costs for the Number of Workers and Working Hours |Empirical Evidence from Japanese Industry Data," Discussion Papers in Economics and Business 05-18, Osaka University, Graduate School of Economics and Osaka School of International Public Policy (OSIPP).
- Feve, Patrick, 2002. "Solving labor demand models under asymmetric adjustment costs," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 797-809, May.
- Jung, Sven, 2012. "Employment adjustment in German firms," Discussion Papers 80, Friedrich-Alexander-University Erlangen-Nuremberg, Chair of Labour and Regional Economics.
- Bottasso, Anna & Sembenelli, Alessandro, 2001. "Market power, productivity and the EU Single Market Program: Evidence from a panel of Italian firms," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 167-186, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.