The Costs of Hiring Skilled Workers
AbstractHiring workers is costly and therefore influences the firm’s labor demand. We make use of Swiss administrative survey data on directly measured hiring costs in order to quantify both their magnitude and determinants at the firm-level. Our results show that hiring costs are substantial, as average hiring costs amount to more than one-quarter of wage payments. However, the level of hiring costs differs sharply by industry, occupation and the economic environment of the firm. Furthermore, our findings indicate that marginal hiring costs increase in the number of hires.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Zurich, Institute for Strategy and Business Economics (ISU) in its series Economics of Education Working Paper Series with number 0015.
Length: 42 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2008
Date of revision: Nov 2009
Hiring costs; labor adjustment costs;
Other versions of this item:
- J32 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Nonwage Labor Costs and Benefits; Private Pensions
- J63 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, and Vacancies - - - Turnover; Vacancies; Layoffs
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-03-08 (All new papers)
- NEP-HRM-2008-03-08 (Human Capital & Human Resource Management)
- NEP-LAB-2008-03-08 (Labour Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mühlemann, Samuel & Wolter, Stefan C. & Wüest, Adrian, 2009. "Apprenticeship Training and the Business Cycle," IZA Discussion Papers 4460, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Stadin, Karolina, 2012. "Vacancy Matching and Labor Market Conditions," Working Paper Series 2012:16, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Blatter, Marc & Mühlemann, Samuel & Schenker, Samuel & Wolter, Stefan C., 2012. "Hiring Costs of Skilled Workers and the Supply of Firm-Provided Training," IZA Discussion Papers 6344, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Lommerud, Kjell Erik & Straume, Odd Rune & Vagstad, Steinar, 2012.
"Employment protection and unemployment benefits: on technology adoption and job creation in a matching model,"
Working Papers in Economics
18/12, University of Bergen, Department of Economics.
- Kjell Erik Lommerud & Odd Rune Straume & Steinar Vagstad, 2012. "Employment protection and unemployment benefits: On technology adoption and job creation in a matching model," NIPE Working Papers 3/2012, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Yokota, Koji, 2012. "Time Discount and Convex Hiring Cost," ãã¸ãã¹åµé ã»ã³ã¿ã¼ãã£ã¹ã«ãã·ã§ã³ã»ãã¼ãã¼ (Discussion papers of the Center for Business Creation) 10252/4850, Otaru University of Commerce.
- Samuel Muehlemann & Harald Pfeifer, 2012.
"The structure of hiring costs in Germany - evidence from firm-level data,"
Economics of Education Working Paper Series
0077, University of Zurich, Institute for Strategy and Business Economics (ISU), revised Sep 2013.
- Mühlemann, Samuel & Pfeifer, Harald, 2013. "The Structure of Hiring Costs in Germany: Evidence from Firm-Level Data," IZA Discussion Papers 7656, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Rupietta).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.