Regional disparities in gross job and worker flows in Finland
AbstractThe aim of this study is to characterize the structure and the evolution of Finnish regional labour markets in terms of gross job and worker flows using establishment- level data. There is no solid evidence that the gross job creation rate is on average lower in Eastern and Northern Finland. The rapid rise in regional unemployment disparities in the 1990s can be explained via the rise in the disparities in the gross job destruction rates across regions during the great slump of the early 1990s. There are also distinct regional differences in the adjustment of labour demand at the establishment level.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Finnish Economic Association in its journal Finnish Economic Papers.
Volume (Year): 14 (2001)
Issue (Month): 2 (Autumn)
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J23 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Demand
- R23 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Household Analysis - - - Regional Migration; Regional Labor Markets; Population
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Devereux, Michael P. & Griffith, Rachel & Simpson, Helen, 2004.
"The geographic distribution of production activity in the UK,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 533-564, September.
- Michael P. Devereux & Rachel Griffith & Helen Simpson, 2000. "The Geographic Distribution of Production Activity in the UK," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1397, Econometric Society.
- Michael Devereux & Rachel Griffith & Helen Simpson, 1999. "The geographic distribution of production activity in the UK," IFS Working Papers W99/26, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Devereux, Michael P & Griffith, Rachel & Simpson, Helen, 2002. "The Geographical Distribution of Production Activity in the UK," CEPR Discussion Papers 3627, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- John M. Abowd & Patrick Corbel & Francis Kramarz, 1999.
"The Entry And Exit Of Workers And The Growth Of Employment: An Analysis Of French Establishments,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 81(2), pages 170-187, May.
- Abowd, John M & Corbel, Patrick & Kramarz, Francis, 1997. "The Entry and Exit of Workers and the Growth of Employment: An Analysis of French Establishments," CEPR Discussion Papers 1765, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- John M. Abowd & Patrick Corbel & Francis Kramarz, 1996. "The Entry and Exit of Workers and the Growth of Employment: An Analysis of French Establishments," NBER Working Papers 5551, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Caballero, Ricardo J & Hammour, Mohamad L, 1994.
"The Cleansing Effect of Recessions,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 84(5), pages 1350-68, December.
- Ricardo J. Caballero & Mohamad L. Hammour, 1991. "The Cleansing Effect of Recessions," NBER Working Papers 3922, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Caballero, R.J. & Hammour, M.L., 1991. "The Cleansing Effect of Recessions," Discussion Papers 1991_59, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- Kangasharju, Aki & Pehkonen, Jaakko, 1999. "Employment-output link in Finland: evidence from regional-level data," ERSA conference papers ersa99pa304, European Regional Science Association.
- Robert E. Hall, 1999. "The Concentration of Job Destruction," NBER Working Papers 7025, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Steven J. Davis & John C. Haltiwanger & Scott Schuh, 1998. "Job Creation and Destruction," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262540932, January.
- Steven J. Davis & John Haltiwanger, 1990. "Gross Job Creation and Destruction: Microeconomic Evidence and Macroeconomic Implications," NBER Chapters, in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1990, Volume 5, pages 123-186 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Burda, Michael C & Wyplosz, Charles, 1993.
"Gross Worker and Job Flows in Europe,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
868, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- bertola, G. & Rogerson, R., 1996.
"Institutions and Labor Reallocation,"
272, Banca Italia - Servizio di Studi.
- John C. Haltiwanger, 1997. "Measuring and analyzing aggregate fluctuations: the importance of building from microeconomic evidence," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue May, pages 55-78.
- Baldwin, John & Picot, Garnett, 1995.
" Employment Generation by Small Producers in the Canadian Manufacturing Sector,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 7(4), pages 317-31, August.
- Baldwin, John R. Picot, Garnett, 1994. "Employment Generation by Small Producers in the Canadian Manufacturing Sector," Analytical Studies Branch Research Paper Series 1994070e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
- Burgess, Simon & Lane, Julia & Stevens, David, 1995.
"Job Flows, Worker Flows and Churning,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1125, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Randall W. Eberts & Edward Montgomery, 1995. "Cyclical versus Secular Movements in Employment Creation and Destruction," NBER Working Papers 5162, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Valerie A. Ramey & Matthew D. Shapiro, 1998.
NBER Working Papers
6775, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ramey, Valerie A & SHAPIRO, MATTHEW D, 1998. "Displaced Capital," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt49k7n14z, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Petri Böckerman & Kari Hämäläinen & Mika Maliranta, 2004.
"Sources of Job and Worker Flows: Evidence from a Panel of Regions,"
CEIS, vol. 18(1), pages 105-129, 03.
- Böckerman, Petri & Hämäläinen, Kari & Maliranta, Mika, 2002. "Sources of job and worker flows: Evidence from a panel of regions," MPRA Paper 4887, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Maliranta, Mika, . "Micro Level Dynamics of Productivity Growth. An Empirical Analysis of the Great Leap in Finnish Manufacturing Productivity in 1975-2000," ETLA A, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy, number 38.
- Sanna-Mari Ahtonen, 2003. "Spatial autocorrelation in employment-output relation," ERSA conference papers ersa03p209, European Regional Science Association.
- Böckerman, Petri, 2002. "Understanding Regional Productivity in a Nordic Welfare State: Does ICT Matter?," Discussion Papers 798, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Liu, De-Chih, 2013. "The evolution of excess job reallocation in the U.S," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 36(C), pages 188-206.
- Kari Hämäläinen & Petri Böckerman, 2004.
"Regional Labor Market Dynamics, Housing, and Migration,"
Journal of Regional Science,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(3), pages 543-568.
- Kari Hämäläinen & Petri Böckerman, 2002. "Regional Labour Market Dynamics, Housing and Migration," Discussion Papers 284, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Böckerman, Petri & Hämäläinen, Kari, 2002. "Housing, dynamics of regional labour markets and migration," ERSA conference papers ersa02p159, European Regional Science Association.
- De-Chih Liu, 2010. "Job creation and destruction by region in Taiwan," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 44(1), pages 167-184, February.
- Fregert, Klas & Pehkonen, Jaakko, 2008. "Causes of structural unemployment in Finland and Sweden 1990-2004," Working Papers 2008:14, Lund University, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Editorial Secretary).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.