Regional Labour Market Dynamics, Housing and Migration
AbstractThe aim of this study is to explore the dynamics of regional labour markets in terms of migration flows. In particular, the study explores the impact of labour markets and housing markets on migration. The internal and the external re-organisations of regional labour markets are shown to be related. An increase in internal turnover within establishments in regional labour markets is found to increase net-migration. This effect arises mainly from a reduction in out-migration. Housing markets constitute binding constraints for migration flows through housing prices and the share of owner-occupancy housing. The results imply that an increase in regional housing prices and a large share of owner-occupancy housing discourages net-migration to a region by reducing inmigration. The out-migration rate remains largely unaffected by housing markets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT) in its series Discussion Papers with number 284.
Date of creation: 28 Oct 2002
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Kari Hämäläinen & Petri Böckerman, 2004. "Regional Labor Market Dynamics, Housing, and Migration," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(3), pages 543-568.
- R23 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Household Analysis - - - Regional Migration; Regional Labor Markets; Population
- C10 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - General
- J61 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, and Vacancies - - - Geographic Labor Mobility; Immigrant Workers
- J21 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Force and Employment, Size, and Structure
- J11 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Demographic Trends, Macroeconomic Effects, and Forecasts
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jaakko Pehkonen & Hannu Tervo, 1998. "Persistence and Turnover in Regional Unemployment Disparities," Regional Studies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 32(5), pages 445-458.
- Arellano, Manuel & Honore, Bo, 2001.
"Panel data models: some recent developments,"
Handbook of Econometrics,
in: J.J. Heckman & E.E. Leamer (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 5, chapter 53, pages 3229-3296
- Oswald Andrew J., 1996. "A Conjecture on the Explanation for High Unemployment in the Industrialized Nations : Part I," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 475, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Petri Böckerman & Mika Maliranta, 2001. "Regional disparities in gross job and worker flows in Finland," Finnish Economic Papers, Finnish Economic Association, vol. 14(2), pages 84-103, Autumn.
- Nickell, Stephen & Layard, Richard, 1999.
"Labor market institutions and economic performance,"
Handbook of Labor Economics,
in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 46, pages 3029-3084
- Nickell, S. & Layard, R., 1997. "Labour Market Institutions and Economic Performance," Papers 23, Centre for Economic Performance & Institute of Economics.
- Richard Layard & Stephen Nickell, 1998. "Labour Market Institutions and Economic Performance," CEP Discussion Papers dp0407, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- repec:ese:iserwp:99-16 is not listed on IDEAS
- Fields, Gary S, 1976. "Labor Force Migration, Unemployment and Job Turnover," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 58(4), pages 407-15, November.
- Contini, Bruno & Revelli, Riccardo, 1997. "Gross flows vs. net flows in the labor market: What is there to be learned?," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 245-263, September.
- Daron Acemoglu, 2002.
"Technical Change, Inequality, and the Labor Market,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 40(1), pages 7-72, March.
- Daron Acemoglu, 2000. "Technical Change, Inequality, and the Labor Market," NBER Working Papers 7800, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Shaw, R Paul, 1986. "Fiscal versus Traditional Market Variables in Canadian Migration," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(3), pages 648-66, June.
- Antti Moisio, 2002. "Determinants of Expenditure Variation in Finnish Municipalities," Discussion Papers 269, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Hannu Tervo, 2001. "Does the compositional effect explain the association between rates of in-migration and out-migration?," ERSA conference papers ersa01p68, European Regional Science Association.
- Price V. Fishback & William C. Horrace & Shawn Kantor, 2001. "Do Federal Programs Affect Internal Migration? The Impact of New Deal Expenditures on Mobility During the Great Depression," NBER Working Papers 8283, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Charles M. Tiebout, 1956. "A Pure Theory of Local Expenditures," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 64, pages 416.
- Cameron, Gavin & Muellbauer, John, 1998.
"The Housing Market and Regional Commuting and Migration Choices,"
Scottish Journal of Political Economy,
Scottish Economic Society, vol. 45(4), pages 420-46, September.
- Cameron, Gavin & Muellbauer, John, 1998. "The Housing Market and Regional Commuting and Migration Choices," CEPR Discussion Papers 1945, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ghatak, Subrata & Levine, Paul & Price, Stephen Wheatley, 1996. " Migration Theories and Evidence: An Assessment," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(2), pages 159-98, June.
- Gebremariam, Gebremeskel H. & Gebremedhin, Tesfa G. & Schaeffer, Peter V., 2006. "An Empirical Analysis of County-Level Determinants of Small Business Growth Poverty in Appalachia: A Spatial Simultaneous-Equations Approach," 2006 Annual Meeting, February 5-8, 2006, Orlando, Florida 35465, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Gebremeskel H. Gebremariam & Tesfa G. Gebremedhin & Peter V. Schaeffer & Randall W. Jackson, 2008. "Modeling Regional Growth Spillovers: An Analysis of Employment Growth, Migration Behavior, Local Public Services and Household Income in Appalachia," Working Papers e07-13, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Department of Economics.
- Böckerman, Petri & Haapanen, Mika, 2011.
"The effect of polytechnic reform on migration,"
34619, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gintautas Bloze, 2009. "Interregional migration and housing structure in an East European transition country: A view of Lithuania 2001-2008," Baltic Journal of Economics, Baltic International Centre for Economic Policy Studies, vol. 9(2), pages 47-66, December.
- David G. Blanchflower & Andrew J. Oswald, 2013.
"Does High Home-Ownership Impair the Labor Market?,"
NBER Working Papers
19079, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blanchflower, David G. & Oswald, Andrew J., 2013. "Does High Home-Ownership Impair the Labor Market?," IZA Discussion Papers 7640, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- David G. Blanchflower & Andrew J. Oswald, 2013. "Does High Home-Ownership Impair the Labor Market?," Working Paper Series WP13-3, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Gebremeskel H. Gebremariam & Tesfa G. Gebremedhin & Peter V. Schaeffer & Randall W. Jackson, 2008. "A Simultaneous Spatial Panel Data Model of Regional Growth Variation: An Empirical Analysis of Employment, Income, Migration and Local Public Services," Working Papers e07-12, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Department of Economics.
- Gebremeskel Gebremariam & Tesfa Gebremedhin & Peter Schaeffer, 2010. "Analysis of county employment and income growth in Appalachia: a spatial simultaneous-equations approach," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 38(1), pages 23-45, February.
- Garduno-Rivera, Rafael, 2010. "Effect of NAFTA on Mexico's Income Distribution in the Presence of Migration," 2010 Annual Meeting, July 25-27, 2010, Denver, Colorado 61895, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anita Niskanen).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.