An equal right solution to the compensation-responsibility dilemma
AbstractIn a simple model where skills may differ among agents, we propose to giv e them an equal right to the resources, interpreted as including both the technological possibilities and the skill profile. An equal right guarantees to each agent a minimal welfare level which depends only on her preferences. The conflicting objectives of unequal skill compensation and preferences responsability are then partially achieved.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Mathematical Social Sciences.
Volume (Year): 35 (1998)
Issue (Month): 2 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505565
Other versions of this item:
- Maniquet, F., 1996. "An Equal Right Solution to the Compensation-Responsability Dilemma," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 335.96, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- D30 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - General
- D33 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Factor Income Distribution
- D60 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - General
- D63 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Equity, Justice, Inequality, and Other Normative Criteria and Measurement
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Erwin Ooghe & Erik Schokkaert & Dirk gaer, 2007.
"Equality of Opportunity versus Equality of Opportunity Sets,"
Social Choice and Welfare,
Springer, vol. 28(2), pages 209-230, February.
- Erwin Ooghe & Erik Schokkaert & Dirk Van de Gaer, 2003. "Equality of opportunity versus equality of opportunity sets," Public Economics Working Paper Series wpeoeos, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën, Working Group Public Economics.
- E. Ooghe & E. Schokkaert & D. Van De Gaer, 2004. "Equality of opportunity versus equality of opportunity sets," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 04/240, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- CALO-BLANCO, Aitor, 2012. "The compensation problem with fresh starts," CORE Discussion Papers 2012036, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Serge-Christophe Kolm, 2006. "Reply to J. E. Roemer's Review of Kolm, S.: Macrojustice: The Political Economy of Fairness," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 88(1), pages 87-91, June.
- Jean-Sébastien Gharbi & Yves Meinard, 2012. "Sur le sens du non welfarisme dans le modèle ELIE de redistribution des revenus de Kolm," AMSE Working Papers 1237, Aix-Marseille School of Economics, Marseille, France.
- Kranich, Laurence, . "Equalizing opportunities through public education when innate abilities are unobservable," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/7216, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Roland Iwan Luttens & Erwon Ooghe, 2004.
"Is it fair to "make work pay"??,"
Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers
ces0410, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- R. I. Luttens & E. Ooghe, 2005. "Is it fair to “make work pay”?," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 05/283, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Nicolas Gravel & Thierry Marchant & Arunava Sen, 2007. "Ranking Completely Uncertain Decisions by the Uniform Expected Utility Criterion," IDEP Working Papers 0705, Institut d'economie publique (IDEP), Marseille, France, revised 12 Jul 2007.
- Jean-Sébastien Gharbi & Yves Meinard, 2012. "Sur le Sens du Non Welfarisme dans le Modèle ELIE de Redistribution des Revenus de Kolm," Working Papers halshs-00793658, HAL.
- R.I. Luttens, 2006. "Minimal rights based solidarity," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 06/356, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Serge-Christophe Kolm, 2006. "Liberté, justice et efficacité : distribution, impôts et transferts optimaux," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 57(1), pages 55-84.
- LUTTENS, Roland Iwan & OOGHE, Erwin, 2006. "Is it fair to ‘make work pay’ ?," CORE Discussion Papers 2006026, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.