Ranking Completely Uncertain Decisions by the Uniform Expected Utility Criterion
AbstractWe provide an axiomatic characterization of a family of criteria for ranking completely uncertain decisions. A completely uncertain decision is described by the set of all its consequences (assumed to be finite). Each of the criterions characterized can be thought of as assigning to all consequences of a decision an equal probability of occurrence and as comparing decisions on the basis of the expected utility of their consequences for some utility function.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institut d'economie publique (IDEP), Marseille, France in its series IDEP Working Papers with number 0705.
Length: 41 pages
Date of creation: 12 Jul 2007
Date of revision: 12 Jul 2007
Complete Uncertainty; Ignorance; Ranking Sets; Probability; Expected Utility of their Consequences for Some Utility Function.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D81 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Criteria for Decision-Making under Risk and Uncertainty
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maniquet, F., 1996.
"An Equal Right Solution to the Compensation-Responsability Dilemma,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
335.96, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Maniquet, Francois, 1998. "An equal right solution to the compensation-responsibility dilemma," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 185-202, March.
- Maskin, Eric, 1978. "A Theorem on Utilitarianism," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(1), pages 93-96, February.
- Serge-Christophe Kolm, 2004. "Liberty and distribution: Macrojustice from social freedom," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 22(1), pages 113-145, 02.
- Pattanaik, Prasanta K. & Xu, Yongsheng, 2000. "On Ranking Opportunity Sets in Economic Environments," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 93(1), pages 48-71, July.
- Shurojit Chatterji & Arunava Sen, 2011.
Springer, vol. 46(2), pages 255-282, February.
- Amélie Vrijdags, 2010. "An experimental investigation of transitivity in set ranking," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 68(1), pages 213-232, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Yves Doazan) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Yves Doazan to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.