Responsibility and redistribution: The case of first best taxation
AbstractIt is not straightforward to define the ethics of responsibility in cases where the consequences of changes in factors within our control are partly determined by factors beyond our control. In this paper, we suggest that one plausible view is to keep us responsible for the parts of the consequences that are independent of the factors beyond our control. Within the framework of a first best taxation problem, we present and characterise a redistributive mechanism that both satisfies this interpretation of the ethics of responsibility and the ethics of compensation within a broad class of economic environments. However, on a general basis, even this weaker version of the ethics of responsibility is not compatible with the ethics of compensation, and we report an impossibility result that clarifies the source of this conflict. Copyright Springer-Verlag 2005
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Social Choice and Welfare.
Volume (Year): 24 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 (06)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00355/index.htm
Other versions of this item:
- Tungodden, B., 2000. "Responsibility and Redistribution: the Case of First Best Taxation," Papers 14/00, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Bertil Tungodden, 2001. "Responsibility and Redistribution: The Case of First Best Taxation," CESifo Working Paper Series 545, CESifo Group Munich.
- D63 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Equity, Justice, Inequality, and Other Normative Criteria and Measurement
- D71 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - Social Choice; Clubs; Committees; Associations
- D31 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Personal Income and Wealth Distribution
- I32 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - Measurement and Analysis of Poverty
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bossert, Walter, 1995.
"Redistribution mechanisms based on individual characteristics,"
Mathematical Social Sciences,
Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 1-17, February.
- Bossert W., 1996. "Redistribution mechanisms based on individual characteristics," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 51-51, February.
- Bossert, W., 1993. "Redistribution Mechanisms Based on Individual Characteristics," Working Papers 9307, University of Waterloo, Department of Economics.
- Sprumont, Y., 1995.
"Balanced Egalitarian Redistribution of Income,"
Cahiers de recherche
9521, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Fleurbaey, Marc, 1995. "Equal Opportunity or Equal Social Outcome?," Economics and Philosophy, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(01), pages 25-55, April.
- Roemer, J.E., 1992. "A Pragmatic Theory of Responsibility for the Egalitarian Planner," Papers 391, California Davis - Institute of Governmental Affairs.
- Fleurbaey, Marc, 1995. "Equality and responsibility," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(3-4), pages 683-689, April.
- Fleurbaey Marc, 1995. "Three Solutions for the Compensation Problem," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 505-521, April.
- Alexander Cappelen & Bertil Tungodden, 2009.
Springer, vol. 39(3), pages 425-441, June.
- Alexander Cappelen & Bertil Tungodden, 2007.
"Local autonomy and interregional equality,"
Social Choice and Welfare,
Springer, vol. 28(3), pages 443-460, April.
- Ismael Rodriguez-Lara & Luis Moreno-Garrido, 2012.
"Modeling Inequity Aversion in a Dictator Game with Production,"
MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 3(4), pages 138-149, October.
- Luis José Blas Moreno Garrido & Ismael Rodríguez Lara, 2012. "Modeling Inequity Aversion in a Dictator Game with Production," Working Papers. Serie AD 2012-04, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Moulin, Herve & Sprumont, Yves, 2002.
"Responsibility and Cross-Subsidization in Cost Sharing,"
2002-05, Rice University, Department of Economics.
- Moulin, Herve & Sprumont, Yves, 2006. "Responsibility and cross-subsidization in cost sharing," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 152-188, April.
- MOULIN, Hervé & SPRUMONT, Yves., 2002. "Responsibility and Cross-Subsidization in Cost Sharing," Cahiers de recherche 2002-19, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.