Developing a social perspective to farm performance analysis
AbstractThis paper examines how traditional farm productivity analysis can be extended to produce a performance measure from the perspective of society. A biophysical model is used to measure inputs from the environment which are combined with conventional marketed inputs to develop an environmentally sensitive Malmquist productivity index to determine social productivity growth. Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA) is used to analyze data collected from selected farms in South-East Australia and includes a measure of leaching and run-off as a proxy measure of the impact the application of fertilizers has on ground and surface water. The results show measured productivity growth increases for some farms and decreases for others when environmental factors are considered.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Ecological Economics.
Volume (Year): 68 (2009)
Issue (Month): 8-9 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ecolecon
Sustainability Systems perspective Biophysical modelling DairyMod Malmquist productivity index;
Other versions of this item:
- Mary Graham, 2008. "Developing a Social Perspective to Farm Performance Analysis," Economics Series 2008_17, Deakin University, Faculty of Business and Law, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rigby, D. & Caceres, D., 2001. "Organic farming and the sustainability of agricultural systems," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 21-40, April.
- Lansink, Alfons Oude & Reinhard, Stijn, 2004. "Investigating technical efficiency and potential technological change in Dutch pig farming," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 79(3), pages 353-367, March.
- Ball, V. Eldon & Lovell, C.A. Knox & Luu, H. & Nehring, Richard F., 2004. "Incorporating Environmental Impacts in the Measurement of Agricultural Productivity Growth," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 29(03), December.
- Tom Kompas & Tuong Nhu Che, 2003.
"Productivity in the Australian Dairy Industry,"
International and Development Economics Working Papers
idec03-8, International and Development Economics.
- Stijn Reinhard & C. A. Knox Lovell & Geert Thijssen, 2002. "Analysis of Environmental Efficiency Variation," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(4), pages 1054-1065.
- Tom Kompas & Tuong Nhu Che, 2006. "Technology choice and efficiency on Australian dairy farms ," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 50(1), pages 65-83, 03.
- S Reinhard & G Thijssen, 2000. "Nitrogen efficiency of Dutch dairy farms: a shadow cost system approach," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 27(2), pages 167-186, June.
- V. Eldon Ball & Rolf Fare & Shawna Grosskopf & Richard Nehring, 2001. "Productivity of the U.S. Agricultural Sector: The Case of Undesirable Outputs," NBER Chapters, in: New Developments in Productivity Analysis, pages 541-586 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert D. Weaver, 1996. "Prosocial Behavior: Private Contributions to Agriculture's Impact on the Environment," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 72(2), pages 231-247.
- Terrence S. Veeman, 2008. "Development, Productivity, and Sustaining Natural Capital," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 56(1), pages 13-25, 03.
- Managi, Shunsuke & Jena, Pradyot Ranjan, 2008. "Environmental productivity and Kuznets curve in India," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 432-440, April.
- Kwon, Oh Sang & Lee, Hyunok, 2004. "Productivity improvement in Korean rice farming: parametric and non-parametric analysis," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 48(2), June.
- Tim Coelli & Ludwig Lauwers & Guido Huylenbroeck, 2007. "Environmental efficiency measurement and the materials balance condition," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 28(1), pages 3-12, October.
- Fernandez C. & Koop G. & Steel M.F.J., 2002.
"Multiple-Output Production With Undesirable Outputs: An Application to Nitrogen Surplus in Agriculture,"
Journal of the American Statistical Association,
American Statistical Association, vol. 97, pages 432-442, June.
- Carmen Fernandez & Gary Koop & Mark F J Steel, 2004. "Multiple-output production with undesirable output: An application to nitrogen surplus in agriculture," ESE Discussion Papers 34, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- Carmen Fernandez & Gary Koop & Mark F.J. Steel, 2002. "Multiple-Output Production With Undesirable Outputs: An Application to Nitrogen Surplus in Agriculture," Econometrics 0201001, EconWPA, revised 06 Jan 2002.
- Fare, Rolf, et al, 1993. "Derivation of Shadow Prices for Undesirable Outputs: A Distance Function Approach," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(2), pages 374-80, May.
- Tisdell, Clement A., 2005. "Sustainable Agriculture," Economics, Ecology and Environment Working Papers 55063, University of Queensland, School of Economics.
- Kaufmann, Robert K. & Cleveland, Cutler J., 1995. "Measuring sustainability: needed--an interdisciplinary approach to an interdisciplinary concept," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 109-112, November.
- Pittman, Russell W, 1983. "Multilateral Productivity Comparisons with Undesirable Outputs," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 93(372), pages 883-91, December.
- van Calker, K.J. & Berentsen, P.B.M. & de Boer, I.J.M. & Giesen, G.W.J. & Huirne, R.B.M., 2007. "Modelling worker physical health and societal sustainability at farm level: An application to conventional and organic dairy farming," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 94(2), pages 205-219, May.
- Paul Webster, 1999. "The Challenge of Sustainability at the Farm Level: Presidential Address," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(3), pages 371-387.
- Ewert, Frank & van Ittersum, Martin K. & Bezlepkina, Irina V. & Oude Lansink, Alfons G.J.M. & Andersen, Erling & Brouwer, Floor M. & Flichman, Guillermo & Heckelei, Thomas & Alkan Olsson, Johanna & Ol, 2006. "Methodological concepts for integrated assessment of agricultural and environmental policies in SEAMLESS-IF," Reports 57465, SEAMLESS: System for Environmental and Agricultural Modelling, Linking European Science and Society.
- Reinhard, Stijn & Knox Lovell, C. A. & Thijssen, Geert J., 2000. "Environmental efficiency with multiple environmentally detrimental variables; estimated with SFA and DEA," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 121(2), pages 287-303, March.
- Fare, Rolf, et al, 1989. "Multilateral Productivity Comparisons When Some Outputs Are Undesirable: A Nonparametric Approach," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(1), pages 90-98, February.
- Stijn Reinhard & C.A. Knox Lovell & Geert Thijssen, 1999. "Econometric Estimation of Technical and Environmental Efficiency: An Application to Dutch Dairy Farms," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(1), pages 44-60.
- repec:ags:auagre:126559 is not listed on IDEAS
- Fare, Rolf & Shawna Grosskopf & Mary Norris & Zhongyang Zhang, 1994. "Productivity Growth, Technical Progress, and Efficiency Change in Industrialized Countries," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(1), pages 66-83, March.
- Mary Graham, 2006. "Sustainability: Meaning and Measurement with Application to Agriculture," Economics Series 2006_31, Deakin University, Faculty of Business and Law, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance.
- Emilio Galdeano-Gómez & José Céspedes-Lorente & Manuel Rodríguez-Rodríguez, 2006. "Productivity and Environmental Performance in Marketing Cooperatives: An Analysis of the Spanish Horticultural Sector," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(3), pages 479-500.
- Robert G. Chambers, 2002. "Exact nonradial input, output, and productivity measurement," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 20(4), pages 751-765.
- Frank M. Gollop & Gregory P. Swinand, 1998. "From Total Factor to Total Resource Productivity: An Application to Agriculture," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(3), pages 577-583.
- Graham, Mary, 2008. "Biophysical Modelling and Performance Measurement," 2008 Conference (52nd), February 5-8, 2008, Canberra, Australia 6773, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Kompas, Tom & Che, Tuong Nhu, 2006. "Technology choice and efficiency on Australian dairy farms," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 50(1), March.
- Hailu, Atakelty & Veeman, Terrence S., 2000. "Environmentally Sensitive Productivity Analysis of the Canadian Pulp and Paper Industry, 1959-1994: An Input Distance Function Approach," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 251-274, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.