Incorporating Environmental Impacts in the Measurement of Agricultural Productivity Growth
AbstractAgricultural production is known to have environmental impacts, both adverse and beneficial, and it is desirable to incorporate at least some of these impacts in an environmentally sensitive productivity index. In this paper, we construct indicators of water contamination from the use of agricultural chemicals. These environmental indicators are merged with data on marketed outputs and purchased inputs to form a state-by-year panel of relative levels of outputs and inputs, including environmental impacts. We do not have prices for these undesirable by products, since they are not marketed. Consequently, we calculate a series of Malmquist productivity indexes, which do not require price information. Our benchmark scenario is a conventional Malmquist productivity index based on marketed outputs and purchased inputs only. Our comparison scenarios consist of environmentally sensitive Malmquist productivity indexes that include indicators of risk to human health and to aquatic life from chronic exposure to pesticides. In addition, we derive a set of virtual prices of the undesirable by-products that can be used to calculate an environmentally sensitive Fisher index of productivity change.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Western Agricultural Economics Association in its journal Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
Volume (Year): 29 (2004)
Issue (Month): 03 (December)
environmental impacts; productivity growth; Environmental Economics and Policy;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pittman, Russell W, 1983. "Multilateral Productivity Comparisons with Undesirable Outputs," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 93(372), pages 883-91, December.
- Boyd, Gale A. & McClelland, John D., 1999. "The Impact of Environmental Constraints on Productivity Improvement in Integrated Paper Plants," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 121-142, September.
- Reig-Martinez, Ernest & Picazo-Tadeo, Andres & Hernandez-Sancho, Francesc, 2001. "The calculation of shadow prices for industrial wastes using distance functions: An analysis for Spanish ceramic pavements firms," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(3), pages 277-285, February.
- Michael Ollinger & Jorge Fernandez-Cornejo, 1995.
"Innovation and Regulation in the Pesticide Industry,"
95-14, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Ollinger, Michael & Fernandez-Cornejo, Jorge, 1998. "Innovation And Regulation In The Pesticide Industry," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 27(1), April.
- George C. Davis & Ni Lin & C. Richard Shumway, 2000. "Aggregation without Separability: Tests of the United States and Mexican Agricultural Production Data," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(1), pages 214-230.
- V. Eldon Ball & Frank M. Gollop & Alison Kelly-Hawke & Gregory P. Swinand, 1999. "Patterns of State Productivity Growth in the U.S. Farm Sector: Linking State and Aggregate Models," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(1), pages 164-179.
- Hailu, Atakelty & Veeman, Terrence S., 2000. "Environmentally Sensitive Productivity Analysis of the Canadian Pulp and Paper Industry, 1959-1994: An Input Distance Function Approach," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 251-274, November.
- Cropper, Maureen L & Oates, Wallace E, 1992. "Environmental Economics: A Survey," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 30(2), pages 675-740, June.
- Graham, Mary, 2009.
"Developing a social perspective to farm performance analysis,"
Elsevier, vol. 68(8-9), pages 2390-2398, June.
- Mary Graham, 2008. "Developing a Social Perspective to Farm Performance Analysis," Economics Series 2008_17, Deakin University, Faculty of Business and Law, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance.
- Kortelainen, Mika, 2008. "Dynamic environmental performance analysis: A Malmquist index approach," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(4), pages 701-715, February.
- Walter Briec & Kristiaan Kerstens & Nicolas Peypoch, 2009.
"Exact Relations between Four De?nitions of Productivity Indices and Indicators,"
2009-ECO-07, IESEG School of Management.
- Walter Briec & Kristiaan Kerstens & Nicolas Peypoch, 2012. "Exact Relations Between Four Definitions Of Productivity Indices And Indicators," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 64(2), pages 265-274, 04.
- Margaret Brock & Monica Keneley, 2004. "Section 46: The High Court, Dawson and The Senate: A Review of the Recent Debate," Economics Series 2004_18, Deakin University, Faculty of Business and Law, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance.
- Huffman, Wallace, 2009. "Technology and Innovation in World Agriculture: Prospects for 2010-2019," Staff General Research Papers 13060, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Cuesta, Rafael A. & Knox, C.A. & Zofío, José Luis, 2007.
"Environmental Efficiency Measurement with Translog Distance Functions: A Parametric Approach,"
Working Papers in Economic Theory
2007/02, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid (Spain), Department of Economic Analysis (Economic Theory and Economic History).
- Cuesta, Rafael A. & Lovell, C.A. Knox & Zofío, José L., 2009. "Environmental efficiency measurement with translog distance functions: A parametric approach," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(8-9), pages 2232-2242, June.
- Mehmet Ulubasoglu & Nejat Anbarci, 2005. "Endogenous Liberalization and Within-Country Inequality: A Theoretical and Empirical Analysis," Economics Series 2005_18, Deakin University, Faculty of Business and Law, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance.
- Bellenger, Moriah J. & Herlihy, Alan T., 2010. "Performance-based environmental index weights: Are all metrics created equal?," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(5), pages 1043-1050, March.
- Dubrocard, Anne & Prombo, Michel, 2012. "International comparison of Environmental performance," MPRA Paper 48072, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 05 Jul 2013.
- Wamisho, Kassu, 2012. "The Shadow Price of GHG Reduction in Corn Ethanol Plants," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124719, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Wamisho, Kassu, 2012. "The Shadow Price of GHG Reduction in Corn Ethanol Plants," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 126862, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Lien, Gudbrand D. & Kumbhakar, Subal C. & Hardaker, J. Brian, 2008. "Determinants Of Part-Time Farming And Its Effect On Farm Productivity And Efficiency," 107th Seminar, January 30-February 1, 2008, Sevilla, Spain 6701, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Mary Graham, 2008. "Developing an Integrated Measure of Farm Performance," Economics Series 2008_18, Deakin University, Faculty of Business and Law, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance.
- Andersen, Matthew A. & Alston, Julian M. & Pardey, Philip G., 2009. "Capital Service Flows: Concepts and Comparisons of Alternative Measures in U.S. Agriculture," Staff Papers 50098, University of Minnesota, Department of Applied Economics.
- Carmen Murillo & Carlos San Juan Santander & Stefan Sperlich, 2007. "An Empirical Assessment of the EU Agricultural Policy Based on Firm Level Data," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 227(3), pages 273-294, June.
- Graham, Mary, 2008. "Biophysical Modelling and Performance Measurement," 2008 Conference (52nd), February 5-8, 2008, Canberra, Australia 6773, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Mary Graham, 2006. "Sustainability: Meaning and Measurement with Application to Agriculture," Economics Series 2006_31, Deakin University, Faculty of Business and Law, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance.
- Alessandro Manello, 2011. "Environment and economic efficiency: an analysis of some polluting Italian industries," CERIS Working Paper 201103, Institute for Economic Research on Firms and Growth - Moncalieri (TO).
- Plesha, Nataliya & Ray, Subhash C. & Nehring, Richard F. & Ball, V. Eldon, 2012. "Incorporating "Bads" and "Goods" in the Measurement of Agricultural Productivity Growth in the U.S," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124585, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.