Analysis of Environmental Efficiency Variation
AbstractIn this article, we develop and implement a methodology for analyzing the sources of variation in environmental efficiency across producers. We formulate a two-stage model. In the first stage, we use stochastic frontier analysis to estimate both technical and environmental efficiency. In the second stage, we again use stochastic frontier analysis to regress estimated environmental efficiency scores against a variety of technology, physical environment, and management variables. In this stage we estimate the impact of each explanatory variable on environmental efficiency, and we derive conditional estimates of environmental efficiency from the one-sided error component. We illustrate our methodology with an empirical application to a panel of Dutch dairy farms. We find evidence of relatively low levels of environmental efficiency, and we find that environmental efficiency can be improved through a number of policy options, including the provision of farmers with more insight into the nutrient balance of their farms. Copyright 2002, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 84 (2002)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Madau, Fabio A., 2012. "Technical and scale efficiency in the Italian Citrus Farming: A comparison between Stochastic Frontier Analysis (SFA) and Data Envelopment Analysis(DEA) Models," MPRA Paper 41403, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hardwick Tchale & Johannes Sauer, 2007. "The efficiency of maize farming in Malawi. A bootstrapped translog frontier," Cahiers d'Economie et Sociologie Rurales, INRA Department of Economics, vol. 82, pages 33-56.
- Pierre-André Jouvet & Philippe Michel & Gilles Rotillon, 2004.
"A theoretical measure of environmental efficiency,"
Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques
v04011, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Gauri Khanna, 2006. "Technical Efficiency in Production and Resource Use in Sugar Cane: A Stochastic Frontier Production Function Analysis," IHEID Working Papers 15-2006, Economics Section, The Graduate Institute of International Studies.
- Christos Pantzios & Stelios Rozakis & Vangelis Tzouvelekas, 2004.
"Evading Farm Support Reduction Via Efficient Input Use: The Case of Greek Cotton Growers,"
0412, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
- Pantzios, Christos J. & Rozakis, Stelios & Tzouvelekas, Vangelis, 2006. "Evading Farm Support Reduction via Efficient Input Use: The Case of Greek Cotton Growers," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 38(03), December.
- Ana Rodríguez-Álvarez & Ignacio Rosal & José Baños-Pino, 2007. "The cost of strikes in the Spanish mining sector: modelling an undesirable input with a distance function," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 73-83, February.
- Areal, Francisco J & Tiffin, Richard & Balcombe, Kelvin, 2010. "Provision of an environmental output within a multi-output distance function approach," MPRA Paper 25051, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mary Graham, 2006. "Sustainability: Meaning and Measurement with Application to Agriculture," Economics Series 2006_31, Deakin University, Faculty of Business and Law, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance.
- Graham, Mary, 2009.
"Developing a social perspective to farm performance analysis,"
Elsevier, vol. 68(8-9), pages 2390-2398, June.
- Mary Graham, 2008. "Developing a Social Perspective to Farm Performance Analysis," Economics Series 2008_17, Deakin University, Faculty of Business and Law, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance.
- Lansink, Alfons Oude & Reinhard, Stijn, 2004. "Investigating technical efficiency and potential technological change in Dutch pig farming," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 79(3), pages 353-367, March.
- Madau, Fabio A., 2010. "Parametric Estimation Of Technical And Scale Efficiencies In Italian Citrus Farming," MPRA Paper 26818, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lota D. Tamini & Bruno Larue & Gale West, 2012.
"Technical and environmental efficiencies and best management practices in agriculture,"
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 44(13), pages 1659-1672, May.
- Tamini, Lota D. & Larue, Bruno, 2009. "Technical and Environmental efficiencies and Best Management Practices in Agriculture," MPRA Paper 18964, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Graham, Mary, 2004. "Environmental efficiency: Meaning and measurement and application to Australian dairy farms," 2004 Conference (48th), February 11-13, 2004, Melbourne, Australia 58450, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Managi, Shunsuke & Opaluch, James J. & Jin, Di & Grigalunas, Thomas A., 2006. "Stochastic frontier analysis of total factor productivity in the offshore oil and gas industry," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 204-215, November.
- Galdeano-Gomez, Emilio & Cespedes-Lorente, Jose & Rodriguez-Rodriguez, Manuel, 2006. "Productivity and Environmental Performance in Marketing Cooperatives: Incentive Schemes on the Horticultural Sector," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25738, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.