Measuring the efficiency of assembled printed circuit boards with undesirable outputs using data envelopment analysis
AbstractThe printed circuit board (PCB) assembling production process is generally optimized to ensure very low levels of errors (defects) so as to produce the higher quality product. The evaluation of efficiency of different types of PCB (cards) could help the management in identifying the quality of assembly process to work out appropriate interventions to prevent failures. This study uses the technique of data envelopment analysis to assess the efficiency of cards across all assembly units as well as within its respective assembly unit in the presence of undesirable outputs under the assumption of weak disposability. In our case, the three types of errors, viz., machine error, manual errors and other errors that occur in the defective assembled PCBs are considered as the undesirable outputs. In-depth analysis has been carried out through jackknifing analysis to check the robustness of DEA efficiency scores. The best practice group of cards for each inefficient card has been identified which eventually facilitate the management to derive the level of undesirable outputs to be reduced and desirable output to be improved so as to achieve the level of efficiency at par with its practice group.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Journal of Production Economics.
Volume (Year): 136 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ijpe
PCB; Undesirable outputs; Data envelopment analysis;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rolf Färe & Shawna Grosskopf & Carl A Pasurka, Jr., 2001. "Accounting for Air Pollution Emissions in Measures of State Manufacturing Productivity Growth," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(3), pages 381-409.
- Ayres, Robert U & Kneese, Allen V, 1969. "Production , Consumption, and Externalities," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(3), pages 282-97, June.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Isabelle Piot-Lepetit & Dominique Vermersch & Robert Weaver, 1997. "Agriculture's environmental externalities: DEA evidence for French agriculture," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(3), pages 331-338.
- Hua, Zhongsheng & Bian, Yiwen & Liang, Liang, 2007. "Eco-efficiency analysis of paper mills along the Huai River: An extended DEA approach," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 578-587, October.
- Bonesronning, Hans & Rattso, Jorn, 1994. "Efficiency variation among the Norwegian High Schools: Consequences of equalization policy," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 289-304.
- S Reinhard & G Thijssen, 2000. "Nitrogen efficiency of Dutch dairy farms: a shadow cost system approach," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 27(2), pages 167-186, June.
- Kumar Mandal, Sabuj & Madheswaran, S., 2010. "Environmental efficiency of the Indian cement industry: An interstate analysis," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 1108-1118, February.
- Altinkemer, Kemal & Kazaz, Burak & Koksalan, Murat & Moskowitz, Herbert, 2000. "Optimization of printed circuit board manufacturing: Integrated modeling and algorithms," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 124(2), pages 409-421, July.
- Zhou, P. & Ang, B.W. & Poh, K.L., 2008. "A survey of data envelopment analysis in energy and environmental studies," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 189(1), pages 1-18, August.
- Atakelty Hailu, 2003. "Nonparametric Productivity Analysis with Undesirable Outputs: Reply," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(4), pages 1075-1077.
- Reinhard, Stijn & Knox Lovell, C. A. & Thijssen, Geert J., 2000. "Environmental efficiency with multiple environmentally detrimental variables; estimated with SFA and DEA," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 121(2), pages 287-303, March.
- Sueyoshi, Toshiyuki & Goto, Mika, 2012. "Data envelopment analysis for environmental assessment: Comparison between public and private ownership in petroleum industry," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 216(3), pages 668-678.
- Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna & Tyteca, Daniel, 1996. "An activity analysis model of the environmental performance of firms--application to fossil-fuel-fired electric utilities," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 161-175, August.
- Coggins, Jay S. & Swinton, John R., 1996. "The Price of Pollution: A Dual Approach to Valuing SO2Allowances," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 58-72, January.
- Picazo-Tadeo, Andres J. & Reig-Martinez, Ernest & Hernandez-Sancho, Francesc, 2005. "Directional distance functions and environmental regulation," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 131-142, June.
- Golany, B & Roll, Y, 1989. "An application procedure for DEA," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 237-250.
- Seiford, Lawrence M. & Zhu, Joe, 2002. "Modeling undesirable factors in efficiency evaluation," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 142(1), pages 16-20, October.
- Yajie Liu & U. Rashid Sumaila, 2010. "Estimating Pollution Abatement Costs of Salmon Aquaculture: A Joint Production Approach," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 86(3).
- Shaik, Saleem & Helmers, Glenn A. & Langemeier, Michael R., 2002. "Direct And Indirect Shadow Price And Cost Estimates Of Nitrogen Pollution Abatement," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 27(02), December.
- Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna & Noh, Dong-Woon & Weber, William, 2005. "Characteristics of a polluting technology: theory and practice," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 126(2), pages 469-492, June.
- Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna, 2004. "Modeling undesirable factors in efficiency evaluation: Comment," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 157(1), pages 242-245, August.
- Homburg, Carsten, 2001. "Using data envelopment analysis to benchmark activities," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 51-58, August.
- Kneese, Allen V, 1971. "Environmental Pollution: Economics and Policy," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(2), pages 153-66, May.
- Runar Brännlund & Rolf Färe & Shawna Grosskopf, 1995. "Environmental regulation and profitability: An application to Swedish pulp and paper mills," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 6(1), pages 23-36, July.
- Yu, Ming-Miin, 2004. "Measuring physical efficiency of domestic airports in Taiwan with undesirable outputs and environmental factors," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 10(5), pages 295-303.
- Pittman, Russell W, 1983. "Multilateral Productivity Comparisons with Undesirable Outputs," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 93(372), pages 883-91, December.
- Francesc Hernandez-Sancho & Andres Picazo-Tadeo & Ernest Reig-Martinez, 2000. "Efficiency and Environmental Regulation," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 15(4), pages 365-378, April.
- Raymond L. Raab & Richard W. Lichty, 2002. "Identifying Subareas That Comprise A Greater Metropolitan Area: The Criterion of County Relative Efficiency," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(3), pages 579-594.
- V. Eldon Ball & Rolf Fare & Shawna Grosskopf & Richard Nehring, 2001. "Productivity of the U.S. Agricultural Sector: The Case of Undesirable Outputs," NBER Chapters, in: New Developments in Productivity Analysis, pages 541-586 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ethridge, Don, 1973. "The Inclusion of Wastes in the Theory of the Firm," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(6), pages 1430-41, Nov.-Dec..
- Barros, Carlos Pestana & Managi, Shunsuke & Matousek, Roman, 2012. "The technical efficiency of the Japanese banks: Non-radial directional performance measurement with undesirable output," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 1-8, January.
- Fare, R. & Grosskopf, S. & Hernandez-Sancho, F., 2004. "Environmental performance: an index number approach," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 343-352, December.
- Dengiz, Berna & Akbay, Kunter S., 2000. "Computer simulation of a PCB production line: metamodeling approach," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 195-205, January.
- Fare, Rolf, et al, 1989. "Multilateral Productivity Comparisons When Some Outputs Are Undesirable: A Nonparametric Approach," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(1), pages 90-98, February.
- Korhonen, Pekka J. & Luptacik, Mikulas, 2004. "Eco-efficiency analysis of power plants: An extension of data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 154(2), pages 437-446, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.