The downstream externalities of harvesting rainwater in semi-arid watersheds: An Indian case study
AbstractWater-related investment projects affect downstream water availability, and therefore should account for these externalities. Few projects do, however, owing to lack of awareness, lack of data and difficulty in linking upstream investments to downstream effects. This article assesses the downstream impacts of rainwater harvesting in a semi-arid basin in Southern India, focusing on the trade-offs that arise when crop water use is re-allocated from a downstream surface water irrigation system to groundwater irrigated agriculture upstream. The results indicate that the downstream impacts are considerable and that net benefits are insufficient to pay back investment costs. Further research is required to reduce the uncertainties in the water balance of irrigation systems at basin level, to account for the inter-annual variability of crop water availability and to elaborate the wider welfare effects.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Agricultural Water Management.
Volume (Year): 98 (2011)
Issue (Month): 7 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/agwat
Downstream externalities Watershed development Groundwater irrigation Water re-allocation Cost benefit analysis Monte Carlo simulation;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Madsen, Henrik, 1988. "Irrigation, groundwater abstraction and stream flow depletion," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 14(1-4), pages 345-354, August.
- Rosegrant, M.W. & Ringler, C. & McKinney, D.C. & Cai, X. & Keller, A. & Donoso, G., 2000.
"Integrated economic-hydrologic water modeling at the basin scale: the Maipo river basin,"
Agricultural Economics: The Journal of the International Association of Agricultural Economists,
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 24(1), December.
- Rosegrant, M. W. & Ringler, C. & McKinney, D. C. & Cai, X. & Keller, A. & Donoso, G., 2000. "Integrated economic-hydrologic water modeling at the basin scale: the Maipo river basin," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 24(1), pages 33-46, December.
- Rosegrant, Mark W. & Ringler, Claudia & McKinney, Daene C. & Cai, Ximing & Keller, Andrew & Donoso, G., 2000. "Integrated economic-hydrologic water modeling at the basin scale: the Maipo river basin," EPTD discussion papers 63, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Reddy, V. Ratna, 2005. "Costs of resource depletion externalities: a study of groundwater overexploitation in Andhra Pradesh, India," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(04), pages 533-556, August.
- Amarasinghe, Upali A. & Sharma, Bharat R. & Aloysius, Noel & Scott, Christopher & Smakhtin, Vladimir & de Fraiture, Charlotte & Sinha, A. K. & Shukla, A. K., 2004. "Spatial variation in water supply and demand across river basins of India," IWMI Research Reports H036620, International Water Management Institute.
- Shah, Tushaar & Raju, K. Vengama, 2001. "Rethinking rehabilitation: socio-ecology of tanks and water harvesting in Rajasthan, North-west India," CAPRi working papers 18, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Batchelor, C.H. & Rama Mohan Rao, M.S. & Manohar Rao, S., 2003. "Watershed development: A solution to water shortages in semi-arid India or part of the problem?," Land Use and Water Resources Research, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, Centre for Land Use and Water Resources Research, vol. 3.
- Fisher, Brendan & Kulindwa, Kassim & Mwanyoka, Iddi & Turner, R. Kerry & Burgess, Neil D., 2010. "Common pool resource management and PES: Lessons and constraints for water PES in Tanzania," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(6), pages 1253-1261, April.
- Kosoy, Nicolas & Martinez-Tuna, Miguel & Muradian, Roldan & Martinez-Alier, Joan, 2007. "Payments for environmental services in watersheds: Insights from a comparative study of three cases in Central America," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(2-3), pages 446-455, March.
- Bouma, J.A., 2008. "Voluntary Cooperation in the Provision of a Semi-public Good. Community-based Soil and Water Conservation in Semi-arid India," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-364828, Tilburg University.
- Hellegers, Petra & Davidson, Brian, 2010. "Determining the disaggregated economic value of irrigation water in the Musi sub-basin in India," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 97(6), pages 933-938, June.
- Markandya, Anil & Pearce, David W, 1991. "Development, the Environment, and the Social Rate of Discount," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 6(2), pages 137-52, July.
- McKinney, D. C. & Cai, X. & Rosegrant, M. W. & Ringler, C. & Scott, C. A., 1999. "Modeling water resources management at the basin level: review and future directions," IWMI Books, Reports H024075, International Water Management Institute.
- Cai, Ximing & Ringler, Claudia & Rosegrant, Mark W., 2001. "Does efficient water management matter?: physical and economic efficiency of water use in the river basin," EPTD discussion papers 72, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Chakravorty, Ujjayant & Umetsu, Chieko, 2003. "Basinwide water management: a spatial model," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 1-23, January.
- Molden, D. J. & Sakthivadivel, R. & Keller, J., 2001. "Hydronomic zones for developing basin water conservation strategies," IWMI Books, Reports H029423, International Water Management Institute.
- Goel, A.K. & Kumar, R., 2005. "Economic analysis of water harvesting in a mountainous watershed in India," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 71(3), pages 257-266, February.
- Sahrawat, K.L. & Wani, S.P. & Pathak, P. & Rego, T.J., 2010. "Managing natural resources of watersheds in the semi-arid tropics for improved soil and water quality: A review," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 97(3), pages 375-381, March.
- Joshi, P. K. & Jha, A. K. & Wani, S. P. & Joshi, L. & Shiyani, R. L., 2005. "Meta-analysis to assess impact of watershed program and people’s participation," IWMI Research Reports H037467, International Water Management Institute.
- Perry, Chris & Steduto, Pasquale & Allen, Richard. G. & Burt, Charles M., 2009. "Increasing productivity in irrigated agriculture: Agronomic constraints and hydrological realities," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 96(11), pages 1517-1524, November.
- Biggs, Trent & Gaur, Anju & Scott, C. & Thenkabail, Prasad & Gangadhara Rao, Parthasaradhi & Gumma, Murali Krishna & Acharya, Sreedhar & Turral, Hugh, 2007. "Closing of the Krishna Basin: irrigation, streamflow depletion and macroscale hydrology," IWMI Books, Reports H040373, International Water Management Institute.
- Fan, Shenngen & Hazell, Peter & Haque, T., 2000. "Targeting public investments by agro-ecological zone to achieve growth and poverty alleviation goals in rural India," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 411-428, August.
- Shiferaw, Bekele & Reddy, V. Ratna & Wani, Suhas P., 2008. "Watershed externalities, shifting cropping patterns and groundwater depletion in Indian semi-arid villages: The effect of alternative water pricing policies," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 327-340, September.
- Diwakara, H. & Chandrakanth, M.G., 2007. "Beating negative externality through groundwater recharge in India: a resource economic analysis," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(02), pages 271-296, April.
- Liu, W. Z. & Hunsaker, D. J. & Li, Y. S. & Xie, X. Q. & Wall, G. W., 2002. "Interrelations of yield, evapotranspiration, and water use efficiency from marginal analysis of water production functions," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 143-151, July.
- Giordano, Meredith & de Fraiture, Charlotte, 2014. "Small private irrigation: Enhancing benefits and managing trade-offs," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 131(C), pages 175-182.
- S. Nedumaran & Beleke Shiferaw & M. Bantilan & K. Palanisami & Suhas Wani, 2014. "Bioeconomic modeling of farm household decisions for ex-ante impact assessment of integrated watershed development programs in semi-arid India," Environment, Development and Sustainability, Springer, vol. 16(2), pages 257-286, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.