Regime Shifts in Asian Equity and Real Estate Markets
AbstractThis paper applies a new statistical technology for identifying regime shifts to analyze recent data on real estate and equity markets in eight developing Far Eastern countries in the 1992-1998 time period. We find that regime shifts in volatility occur in the summer of 1997; however, most of the regime shifts in returns occur in the spring of 1998. While the clustering of regime breaks does not seem to follow any obvious pattern, the country's exposure to trade and firm leverage are important. An analysis of Granger causality suggests that, in most cases, equity returns cause real estate returns but the converse is not true. We also find two-way causality in volatility, suggesting that a common factor drives volatility in these markets. Finally, we provide evidence that the regime shifts generally imply higher relative risk for real estate securities after the estimated breaks. Copyright 2002 by the American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association in its journal Real Estate Economics.
Volume (Year): 30 (2002)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Indiana University, Kelley School of Business, 1309 East Tenth Street, Suite 738, Bloomington, Indiana 47405
Phone: (812) 855-7794
Fax: (812) 855-8679
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1080-8620
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Campbell R. Harvey, 1994.
"Predictable Risk and Returns in Emerging Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
4621, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Haugen, Robert A & Talmor, Eli & Torous, Walter N, 1991. " The Effect of Volatility Changes on the Level of Stock Prices and Subsequent Expected Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(3), pages 985-1007, July.
- Officer, R R, 1973. "The Variability of the Market Factor of the New York Stock Exchange," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 46(3), pages 434-53, July.
- Grier, Kevin B & Grier, Robin M, 2001. "Exchange Rate Regimes and the Cross-Country Distribution of the 1997 Financial Crisis," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 39(1), pages 139-48, January.
- Laura E. Kodres & Matthew Pritsker, 2002. "A Rational Expectations Model of Financial Contagion," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(2), pages 769-799, 04.
- Robert C. Merton, 1980.
"On Estimating the Expected Return on the Market: An Exploratory Investigation,"
NBER Working Papers
0444, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Merton, Robert C., 1980. "On estimating the expected return on the market : An exploratory investigation," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 323-361, December.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 2002.
"Financial markets in time of stress,"
13869, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Russ Wermers, 1999. "Mutual Fund Herding and the Impact on Stock Prices," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(2), pages 581-622, 04.
- Bai, Jushan & Lumsdaine, Robin L & Stock, James H, 1998.
"Testing for and Dating Common Breaks in Multivariate Time Series,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 65(3), pages 395-432, July.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to demonstrate Bai, Lumsdaine, Stock common breaks in VAR," Statistical Software Components RTZ00171, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Graciela Kaminsky & Saul Lizondo & Carmen M. Reinhart, 1998.
"Leading Indicators of Currency Crises,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 45(1), pages 1-48, March.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela & Lizondo, Saul, 1998. "Leading Indicators of Currency Crises," MPRA Paper 6981, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Graciela Laura Kaminsky, 1997. "Leading Indicators of Currency Crises," IMF Working Papers 97/79, International Monetary Fund.
- Kaminsky, Graciela & Lizondo, Saul & Reinhart, Carmen M., 1997. "Leading indicators of currency crises," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1852, The World Bank.
- Bekaert, G. & Harvey, C. R. & Lumsdaine, R. L., 2002.
"The dynamics of emerging market equity flows,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 295-350, June.
- Eichengreen, Barry & Rose, Andrew & Wyplosz, Charles, 1996. " Contagious Currency Crises: First Tests," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 98(4), pages 463-84, December.
- French, Kenneth R. & Schwert, G. William & Stambaugh, Robert F., 1987. "Expected stock returns and volatility," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 3-29, September.
- Hirshleifer, David & Subrahmanyam, Avanidhar & Titman, Sheridan, 1994. " Security Analysis and Trading Patterns When Some Investors Receive Information before Others," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(5), pages 1665-98, December.
- Jason Furman & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1998. "Economic Crises: Evidence and Insights from East Asia," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 29(2), pages 1-136.
- Fleming, Jeff & Kirby, Chris & Ostdiek, Barbara, 1998. "Information and volatility linkages in the stock, bond, and money markets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 111-137, July.
- Lakonishok, Josef & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W., 1992. "The impact of institutional trading on stock prices," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 23-43, August.
- Hamao, Yasushi & Masulis, Ronald W & Ng, Victor, 1990. "Correlations in Price Changes and Volatility across International Stock Markets," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 3(2), pages 281-307.
- Kim Liow, 2009. "Long-term Memory in Volatility: Some Evidence from International Securitized Real Estate Markets," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 39(4), pages 415-438, November.
- Gerlach, Richard & Wilson, Patrick & Zurbruegg, Ralf, 2006. "Structural breaks and diversification: The impact of the 1997 Asian financial crisis on the integration of Asia-Pacific real estate markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(6), pages 974-991, October.
- Kim Liow & Zhiwei Chen & Jingran Liu, 2011. "Multiple Regimes and Volatility Transmission in Securitized Real Estate Markets," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 42(3), pages 295-328, April.
- Kim Hiang Liow & James R. Webb, 2008. "Nonlinear Return Dependence in Major Real Estate Markets," Journal of Property Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 25(4), pages 285-319, December.
- Wen-Chieh Wu & Chin-Oh Chang & Zekiye Selvili, 2003. "Banking System, Real Estate Markets, and Nonperforming Loans," International Real Estate Review, Asian Real Estate Society, vol. 6(1), pages 43-62.
- Renee Fry & Vance L. Martin & Chrismin Tang, 2008. "A New Class Of Tests Of Contagion With Applications To Real Estate Markets," CAMA Working Papers 2008-01, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Chiuling Lu & Yiuman Tse & Michael Williams, 2013. "Returns transmission, value at risk, and diversification benefits in international REITs: evidence from the financial crisis," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 40(2), pages 293-318, February.
- Kim Liow & Muhammad Ibrahim, 2010. "Volatility Decomposition and Correlation in International Securitized Real Estate Markets," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 40(2), pages 221-243, February.
- Kevin Chiang, 2009. "Discovering REIT Price Discovery: A New Data Setting," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 39(1), pages 74-91, July.
- Hui, Eddie C.M. & Chen, Jia, 2012. "Investigating the change of causality in emerging property markets during the financial tsunami," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 391(15), pages 3951-3962.
- Kim Hiang Liow, 2010. "Integration among USA, UK, Japanese and Australian securitised real estate markets: an empirical exploration," Journal of Property Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 27(4), pages 289-308, February.
- Shaun Bond & Mardi Dungey & Renée Fry, 2006. "A Web Of Shocks: Crises Across Asian Real Estate Markets," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 32(3), pages 253-274, May.
- Liow, Kim Hiang & Webb, James R., 2009. "Common factors in international securitized real estate markets," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 80-89, April.
- Qin Xiao & Randolph Gee Kwang Tan, 2006. "Signal Extraction with Kalman Filter: A Study of the Hong Kong Property Price Bubbles," Economic Growth centre Working Paper Series 0601, Nanyang Technolgical University, School of Humanities and Social Sciences, Economic Growth centre.
- Joseph T.L. Ooi & Kim-Hiang Liow, 2004. "Risk-Adjusted Performance of Real Estate Stocks: Evidence From Developing Markets," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 26(4), pages 371-396.
- Kim Liow & Kim Ho & Muhammad Ibrahim & Ziwei Chen, 2009. "Correlation and Volatility Dynamics in International Real Estate Securities Markets," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 39(2), pages 202-223, August.
- Jian Yang & Yinggang Zhou & Wai Leung, 2012. "Asymmetric Correlation and Volatility Dynamics among Stock, Bond, and Securitized Real Estate Markets," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 45(2), pages 491-521, August.
- Barry, Christopher B. & Rodriguez, Mauricio, 2004. "Risk and return characteristics of property indices in emerging markets," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 131-159, June.
- David Michayluk & Patrick J. Wilson & Ralf Zurbruegg, 2006. "Asymmetric Volatility, Correlation and Returns Dynamics Between the U.S. and U.K. Securitized Real Estate Markets," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 34(1), pages 109-131, 03.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.