Adoption and Abandonment of Organic Farming: An Empirical Investigation of the Irish Drystock Sector
AbstractThere is a considerable literature about the adoption of organic farming. However, possible abandonment of organic farming has received scant attention. Thus, relatively little is known about the exit decisions of farmers. In addition, most studies are based on a static framework where it is not possible to account for changes in farmer decisions over time. This article attempts to fill this gap in the literature by investigating the determinants that affect both adoption and abandonment of organic drystock farming over time. The use of duration analysis allows for the consideration of cross-sectional and time-varying factors over the study period from 1981 to 2008. Using this dynamic econometric framework revealed a significant time effect on entry and exit decisions. Overall, the results highlight that where no attempt is made to account for exit decisions and time effects, important information about sustainable farmer decisions may not be taken into consideration. Copyright (c) 2010 The Author. Journal compilation (c) 2010 The Agricultural Economics Society.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 61 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0021-857X
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Breustedt, Gunnar & Latacz-Lohmann, Uwe & Tiedemann, Torben, 2011. "Organic or conventional? Optimal dairy farming technology under the EU milk quota system and organic subsidies," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 223-229, April.
- Läpple, Doris & Kelley, Hugh, 2013. "Understanding the uptake of organic farming: Accounting for heterogeneities among Irish farmers," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(C), pages 11-19.
- Laure Latruffe & Céline Nauges, 2010.
"Technical efficiency and conversion to organic farming: the case of France,"
Working Papers SMART - LERECO
10-17, INRA UMR SMART.
- Latruffe, Laure & Nauges, Céline, 2010. "Technical efficiency and conversion to organic farming: the case of France," TSE Working Papers 10-209, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Latruffe, Laure & Nauges, CÃ©line, 2010. "Technical efficiency and conversion to organic farming: the case of France," LERNA Working Papers 10.23.329, LERNA, University of Toulouse.
- Laure Latruffe & CÃ©line Nauges, 2014. "Technical efficiency and conversion to organic farming: the case of France," Working Papers 208239, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Francksen, Tammo & Hagemann, Martin & Latacz-Lohmann, Uwe, 2011. "Eine empirische Untersuchung zum Wachstum von Milchviehbetrieben mittels der Ereignisanalyse," 51st Annual Conference, Halle, Germany, September 28-30, 2011 114494, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- Heinze, Sanna & Tiedemann, Torben & Vogel, Alexander, 2011. "Ökologischer Landbau In Deutschland - Bestimmungsgründe Für Die Umstellung Und Rückumstellung," 51st Annual Conference, Halle, Germany, September 28-30, 2011 114727, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- Läpple, Doris & Rensburg, Tom Van, 2011. "Adoption of organic farming: Are there differences between early and late adoption?," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(7), pages 1406-1414, May.
- Finger, Robert & El Benni, Nadja, 2011. "Farmers’ Adoption of Extensive Wheat Production - Determinants and Implications," 122nd Seminar, February 17-18, 2011, Ancona, Italy 98979, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.