Seasonal protection of F&V imports in the EU: impacts of the entry price system
AbstractThe measures of border protection applied by the European Union (EU) to imports of fruits and vegetables (FV) are complex and usually not well represented in trade models, not only because of the range of instruments still constraining trade, but also because of product differentiation and seasonality in these products. This article assesses the impact of eliminating entry price (EP) constraints applied to a group of FV products. The proposed model is of a partial equilibrium nature and takes seasonality into account. We have applied the model to imports of tomatoes, cucumbers, clementines, and table grapes. Trade impacts of eliminating EP are significant for particular origins, during specific seasons, most notably for Moroccan tomatoes. The volumes and prices of products originating in the EU experience moderate reductions. Copyright (c) 2010 International Association of Agricultural Economists.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by International Association of Agricultural Economists in its journal Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 41 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 (03)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0169-5150
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Cioffi, Antonio & Santeramo, Fabio G., 2011. "The entry price threshold in EU F&V sector: deterrence or effective barrier?," 122nd Seminar, February 17-18, 2011, Ancona, Italy 99432, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Cioffi, Antonio & Santeramo, Fabio Gaetano & Vitale, Cosimo, 2010.
"The price stabilization effects of the EU entry price scheme for fruits and vegetables,"
24828, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Antonio Cioffi & Fabio Gaetano Santeramo & Cosimo Damiano Vitale, 2011. "The price stabilization effects of the EU entry price scheme for fruit and vegetables," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 42(3), pages 405-418, 05.
- Santeramo, Fabio Gaetano & Cioffi, Antonio & Vitale, Cosimo Damiano, 1. "A Threshold-Var Approach To Assess The Efficacy Of The Eu Import Regime," International Journal of Food and Agricultural Economics (IJFAEC), Niğde University, Faculty of Economics and Administrative Sciences, vol. 2(1).
- Giulio Malorgio & Cristina Grazia, 2013. "La performance della filiera ortofrutticola di esportazione dei Paesi Terzi del Mediterraneo nel mercato europeo: tra concorrenza e cooperazione," ECONOMIA AGRO-ALIMENTARE, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 15(1), pages 73-101.
- Santeramo, Fabio Gaetano & Cioffi, Antonio, 2012.
"The entry price threshold in EU agriculture: deterrent or barrier?,"
36431, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Santeramo, Fabio Gaetano & Cioffi, Antonio, 2012. "The entry price threshold in EU agriculture: Deterrent or barrier?," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 691-704.
- Raimondi, Valentina & Scoppola, Margherita & Olper, Alessandro, 2011.
"Preference erosion and the developing countries exports to the EU: a dynamic panel gravity approach,"
2011 Annual Meeting, July 24-26, 2011, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
103391, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Valentina Raimondi & Margherita Scoppola & Alessandro Olper, 2012. "Preference erosion and the developing countries exports to the EU: a dynamic panel gravity approach," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 148(4), pages 707-732, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.