Assessing Euro-Med Trade Preferences: The Case of Entry Price Reduction
AbstractThe EU protects some of its fruits and vegetables through the entry price system. This system is implemented for “sensitive” products which often are important for the exports of Southern Mediterranean Countries (SMC) such as tomatoes, cucumbers, artichokes, courgettes, peaches and citrus fruits. In many cases, the system applies on a seasonal basis, remaining the protection for a part of the year through the “usual” tariff system. In some cases, SMC have agreed a reduction of the entry price applied for their exports to the EU. In this paper, we show a new indicator to gauge the gains accrued to the SMC in these cases and apply it to the case of Moroccan clementines.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by TRADEAG - Agricultural Trade Agreements in its series Working Papers with number 7293.
Date of creation: 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://tradeag.vitamib.com/
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anton, Jesus & Muniz, Ignacio Atance, 2007. "Measuring domestic implications of tariff cuts under EU entry price regime," 103rd Seminar, April 23-25, 2007, Barcelona, Spain 9400, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Swinbank, Alan & Ritson, Christopher, 1995. "The impact of the GATT agreement on EU fruit and vegetable policy," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 339-357, August.
- Goetz, Linde & Grethe, Harald, 2008. "How effective is the EU Entry Price System for Fresh Fruits and Vegetables?," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 44063, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Emlinger, Charlotte & Chevassus-Lozza, Emmanuelle & Jacquet, Florence, 2010. "Fruit and vegetable access to EU markets: Dissecting tariffs faced by Mediterranean countries," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 599-611, December.
- Goetz, Linde & Grethe, Harald, 2009. "The EU entry price system for fresh fruits and vegetables - Paper tiger or powerful market barrier?," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 81-93, February.
- Martinez-Gomez, Victor, 2008. "Current preferences of Southern Mediterranean Countries and their erosion after variations of the entry price system," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 44157, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Goetz, Linde & Grethe, Harald, 2007. "The Relevance of the EU Entry Price System for Imports of Fresh Fruits and Vegetables," Working Papers 7114, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.